WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watches

Ok so I'm looking for a new watch after my Precista PRS-10 failed its first swimming pool test.

Watches I like are:

Rolex Explorer - love the simple and classic design, especially when paired with a black strap.

G10 - hence I bought a prs 10. Love the simple design and functional styling. Despite buying one I was always a bit unsure about the full numbers (1-12) as opposed to the Rolex that has arabics.

Tag Hueur Aquaracer WAP1110 - not sure on the size as I believe it's a bit bigger than the other two.

Requirements - you probably have a pretty good idea of the style I like from the above 3 different watches. Black faces, classic designs and black straps are my thang.

Movement - I think I prefer the accuracy and ruggedness of a quartz over an automatic. I'd prefer to not have to worry about services and time loss.

Date window - a must when your memory is as bad as mine.

Waterproof/strength - I want something that can handle swimming and some shocks. While I work in an office I don't want to be takin it off for swimming/gardening etc.

Size - I have puny wrists so something the size of the PRS10 or explorer is perfect.

Brand/budget - am not a brand snob and budget is flexible. I just want something that will last and is quality.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
If you can find one, Seiko SBCM023. Just the right size, 38mm, quartz, date, 200M water resistance, perpetual calendar. And you can easily fit whatever black strap you so choose.

Also, these pop up on the sales corner once in awhile. Seiko SNE011. 36mm, solar powered quartz, date, 200M water resistance. Looks great on most any straps.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I have no idea what most of those watches are. You've got to post pix man. (or at least links!)

I had a Rolex Explorer. Great watch, but no date feature. The new ones in 40mm have too-short hands for the dial, IMO. Are you talking about the Explorer II? If so, I feel the GMT hand clutters it up.

I wound up selling the Explorer and getting a Datejust. I just missed the date feature too much, for the same reason you mentioned. There are dozens of different styles and colors, HUNDREDS, if you open yourself up to used ones. Another nice thing about the Datejust, at least to me, is having the Rolex crown at 12:00 instead of a boring triangle. ;)

In the Datejust/Explorer price range are a lot of nice Omegas. I like the Aqua Terras, and consider them on the same level as Rolex, although they have slightly better movements. (due to having a ball bearing winding rotor and co-axial escapement) They are also a bit more modern in appearance.

I think Omega makes some quartz Aqua Terras. But Rolex doesn't make any quartz Datejusts. At least not for men.

Tissot also makes some very nice quartz watches, and they are a much better value than Omega or Rolex, in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts