WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there are at least a few brands that are moving up-market in terms of quality and price. Omega, Longines, & Swiss Army are a few. Are there others? Perhaps, just as importantly, which are the ones moving down-market?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Breitling with their in house movement.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it the case that Longines are moving upwards? I was under the impression that their older models held more respect.
I hear that there have been price increases, as Longines moves up to fill the spot of Omega (as they move up) - a move by the Swatch group. Their older models pre-1960's hold more respect.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Concord?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Invicta -they can only move up, right ?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
all the major luxury brands are are moving up market trying to nip at rolex's heals.

·
Registered
38,730 Posts
Daniel JeanRichard drops Daniel and moves up.
Ebel gets their act together about 9 years ago and is making waves.
Nomos make an automatic.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
not a debate, but a foregone conclusion, Rolex makes great luxury watches, but they're still below the likes of A Lange and Sohne, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, JLC, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin

now, this is just my opinion, but to me Longines took a step down.
they're not as revered as way back when - not when you share a stand with Swatch, Tissot, Calvin Klein watches - right beside the fashion watches (ie, Emporio Armani)

I'd debate that by saying Patek, VC, AP, Lange, GO, JLC, and brands of a similar ilk have no desire to nip at anything associated with Rolex. ;-)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I think we're in a period where as China goes, so will go the market for the most part. China has become not only the fastest growing, but also the largest market for near luxury (aspirational) and luxury goods. Retail and distribution in China are going to get the majority of attention, resource and say in what brands create and what brands get developed. For example Buick is a premium brand in China and its' success is a key part of GM's global success, so the Buick brand managers in GM have allot more say than the Chevrolet or Cadillac brand managers in GM.

I'd think this is good news for well known aspirational and luxury brands like Omega and Rolex and perennial Asia favorites like Cartier, Piaget and Chaumet, but it is going to take some work for more esoteric brands to succeed. In a rapidly growing emerging economy, conspicuous consumption is the rule and if other don't know or appreciate what you're wearing, there is allot less consumer value.

I doubt anyone gives a rats ass what WUS like us think.

·
Registered
38,730 Posts
:-( Sadly, Zenith came to a fork in the road about 8 years ago, took the wrong turn, the Ugly Road.
Xemex is slooowly moving up
:-( Villemont went the other way.
uTs is moving up, slowly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts