WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel the pull of the World-timer. So I'm looking at the CFA02003W and the CEY04003W, which both have white dials. I was looking for something a little more refined than my divers, perhaps a little technical, and with a white dial.

First, I looked at the CEM5Z00AW white slide-rule watch, but it's out of production. The bigger ones, like WZ0331EM or the titanium CEM58004W, seem a little flamboyant for my modest 6.25 inch wrist. And I read iffy comments about the line-up of the slide rule marks on those watches.

The world-timer really looks slick to me, with the 24-hour ring tracking real time. Where I've found the older CFA version, it seems almost as expensive as the newer CEY version that has sapphire and a display back. In fact, I found one dealer who is selling the CEY version for a better price than I can get the CFA.

I wish I could find the CFA dial with the CEY crystal! The CFA dial has only two subdials: for the power reserve, and for the date. It doesn't need an additional subdial for seconds because it has a second hand -- so the dial is cleaner, more elegant. I also like the city names better on the CFA dial because they're more understated than on the CEY where they look coarser / thicker / darker.

But the CEY's sapphire crystal just looks so clear! It avoids the glass distortion that the CFA's domed glass has. I'm not a big fan of domed crystals. I would rather have a thinner watch.

And the problem is that I'm just looking at a few pictures online. Some of this may just be lighting. So I'm wondering if any of you have experienced both of these watches and can tell me your impressions. Do those city names on the CEY really look that coarse in real life? Is that domed crystal on the CFA really thick? Which watch looks smaller? Do you think they have different personalities?

Eye candy here:

WZ0051FA (almost CFA02003W)

New Arrival: Orient CEY04003W Worldtime

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hi David,

I've had both but I still have WZ0051FA (Japanese Version) which I think is the same as the CFA02003W except that the words "Power Reserve" are printed underneath the Power Reserve indicator and the words "100m" are printed under the word "Automatic".

The appeal of the sapphire crystal (on both front and back) of the CEY is most appealing but that was a very difficult watch to read as the hands are the same colour (or very close) as the dial. Looking back, I am not sorry I parted with the CEY and kept the WZ0051FA. :)

But on saying that, I do have the CEY as a black and white panda and love it! :)

Here's some pics of the CEY that I had (I had the Japanese version which is known as model WV0031EY)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Those are stunning. Thank you. I've been trying to like the white CEY. I really do like the sapphire crystal. But somehow, the details don't come together for me. I was thinking tonight that the black CEY just seems to work better for me. I found an Orient video with the three CEY faces on YouTube:

The panda version intrigues me. I like the way the black and white 24-hour ring shows at a glance how much of your day remains, and how likely you are to wake your friend in another time zone. And I imagine that the white subdials are easier to read than black ones. But I bet reading the time would be easier for me on the straight black dial. Also, the black dial probably fits my personality better than the more flamboyant panda dial. My first reaction is that the panda has more bling and makes more of a statement.

So you find the WZ0051FA (like CFA02003W) easier to read, in spite of the domed crystal? Is that because of the way the dial is organized by subtly different shades?

I think I'm leaning toward either the CFA02003W or a black CEY04001B. But I keep waffling. Are they about the same size? That WZ0051FA / CFA seems like it might be thicker because of the domed crystal, and perhaps harder to read, also because of the crystal. But it works for you?

By the way, thanks also for the fantastic photo review of the WZ0051FA! I just realized that you were the author of the review I linked above in my original post! Hope you don't mind -- I'll link one of your photos below.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks kew! The stars sing, but their voices are softer and more distant than the world timers.

The funny thing is that I started out in search of a white dial, and I'm leaning away from the white CEY. The white CFA02003W still intrigues me, as do the panda and the black CEY. I keep looking at the panda, but I wonder if the dial would be less readable than the black on my wrist. And I usually opt for the more classic look, which would be the black. But that two-tone dial is really something.

Can anyone tell me whether the CFA wears bigger than the CEY? Here are the measurements from two of the linked reviews:

WZ0051FA (I assume also CFA02003W):
42mm case diameter, 45.5mm including crown
50mm lug-to-lug
14.3mm at thickest point (middle of domed crystal)

CEY04002B0:
43mm case diameter, 47mm including crown
48mm lug-to-lug
13mm thick

Are there any videos of the CFA series?

Thanks,

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.