WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for my next purchase and want to know your thoughts on both brands. Which would you choose and why?

42mm AP Royal Oak Offshore Chrono
44mm Hublot Big Bang Black Magic

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
If I were to make a bet, I would gamble most people are going to come down on the side of AP. Truth is, they’re both fine watches but neither is what I would consider a bargain. None of that matters though because at the price range they sell for, there are no bargains. Buy what you like best.

If it were me, I’d take the AP for the bracelet. It’s a nice bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I think there may be around a $6,000 - $8000+ difference in price between these two but I'll play:

AP

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Ultimately - comes does to which one works better on the wrist and which you like more.

Personally, neither one speaks to me aesthetically and I think there are better watches out there, but if this is the style you like - both are very "in" right now with some crowds.

I find AP finish and movement detail to be superior. Also, like AP pushers more. AP also has better readability. (I do love a tapisserie dial on AP RO, but on ROO the dial texture detail gets lost due to size of pattern)

The 44mm Hublot was powered by HUB4100 movt, which is modified ETA and not all that interesting. (now if this was 46mm Unico Black Magic - the movt there is pretty nice, w better PR and flyback).

AP brand is superior and their credentials are superb. Personally though, give me a Royal Oak Chrono anyday of the week over the other 2, but of course it's an entirely different watch style and statement.
DSC06832.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Will. I was actually torn between the strap or the bracelet. I like the contrast of the strap... but I'll have to see what it looks like when I try them on.
If I were to make a bet, I would gamble most people are going to come down on the side of AP. Truth is, they’re both fine watches but neither is what I would consider a bargain. None of that matters though because at the price range they sell for, there are no bargains. Buy what you like best.

If it were me, I’d take the AP for the bracelet. It’s a nice bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome feedback Ender and great point on the movement. I'll keep looking in the direction of AP and see which one suits my wrist best. I have a Breitling and a Panerai, but these two are on my list as well.

Appreciate the thoughtful response!
Ultimately - comes does to which one works better on the wrist and which you like more.

Personally, neither one speaks to me aesthetically and I think there are better watches out there, but if this is the style you like - both are very "in" right now with some crowds.

I find AP finish and movement detail to be superior. Also, like AP pushers more. AP also has better readability. (I do love a tapisserie dial on AP RO, but on ROO the dial texture detail gets lost due to size of pattern)

The 44mm Hublot was powered by HUB4100 movt, which is modified ETA and not all that interesting. (now if this was 46mm Unico Black Magic - the movt there is pretty nice, w better PR and flyback).

AP brand is superior and their credentials are superb. Personally though, give me a Royal Oak Chrono anyday of the week over the other 2, but of course it's an entirely different watch style and statement.
View attachment 12597431

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
Neither one impresses me but if forced to choose I'd go with the AP for sure, aesthetics is the reason . . .

Reactions: Chris Stark

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
The pieces I'm looking at are only about $800 apart... thinking it's too good of a price on the AP to pass up. I like them both tho
Then no-brainer.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I haven't had a AP on my wrist so I don't think I'm qualified to comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
AP all day, every day! It's a classic Genta design; in my opinion, most Hublot watches look like less-refined homages to AP watches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts