Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Ochs Junior Moon Phase

Votes: 7 10.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a choice between the following Independent brands and Established brands, which of the following watch would you choose (ignoring cost and diversity of your collection) and why? What are your considerations? Will you be concerned that the independent brands will no longer be serviceable one day or would that be outweighed by other considerations? Thank you

1. Habring 2 Doppel 3.0
- in house movement
- split seconds chrono
- exclusivity

2. Rolex Submariner
- all round classic formal and casual wear
- quality bracelet
- exceptional quality

3. JLC Master Hometime
- solid movement
- brand pedigree
- dual time

4. Ochs Junior Moon phase
- genius design
- low key or fly under the radar brand
- customizable

Notes: Pictures are borrowed from other sites.

oj-1_zpsa10593ef.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Vastly different watches; no coherent theme. Nonetheless I'd avoid independents for exactly the reasons stated.

I'd get the Sub now that the stigma has subsided (the kitsch/new money crowd have moved on to Hublot BB, JLC MCD/Seals, and AP ROO it seems, at least in my area). Pitty the new case isn't as attractive IMO as the previous gen. Still, Sub.

Now if you'd said JLC Reverso... JLC.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Sub in a second. I love dive watches. The Ochs' style isn't to my taste. The Habring is nice, but there are chronos I'd rather have, and likely for less money. The JLC is an amazing piece, but if I'm buying a JLC, I'd rather go with a pure dress watch - the MUT or the MUT Moon, or even the basic MC.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right that it is based on 7750. It modified by Habring to include a module that enables split second and a monopusher. Debatable whether in-house or not.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Of those, the ochs und junior for sure. Why? It is so totally cool, man . . . .b-)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
JLC because it's really, really, ridiculously good-looking and would be much more useful to me day-to-day. Plus the skeleton home time hides away when not being used, how freaking cool is that!

1145470d1373018373-jlc-master-hometime-spring-bar-dsc04734-medium-.jpg

(picture not mine, but a fellow WUSer's wrist that I envy for having this beauty on)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The habring2. The Master Hometime felt pretty meh for a JLC when I had it, the auto tractor movement on the MHT was also a little on the noisy side.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
totally agree, huge fan of their style.
If I had it in my wallet Id get their dual time Patina (all metal(s) no paint or coloring) now now!
Awesome, we're far and few between but united in our desires, hope you're able to get one soon :-! . . .

Reactions: urtenmurtel

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I'd choose the JLC here, then the sub. The other two (whilst technically interesting - especially the O&J - deceptively simple design yet twice as accurate than most other moonphases) just - don't appeal aesthetically.

But this is based solely on the watch, not the brand. I might think twice about future servicing of something like the O&J - can a normal watchmaker do it? If not then it's a consideration, but otherwise not. As for brand history - I don't give a damn.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The other two (whilst technically interesting - especially the O&J - deceptively simple design yet twice as accurate than most other moonphases) just - don't appeal aesthetically.
Post reported to Moderators....oh wait :think:

Ochs und Junior for me. Their anti-logo ethos and iconoclastic style appeal to me |>

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Not interested in 1 or 2. Love the JLC but at 40mm it''s too big for a dressy watch for me. I'd go for the ochs und junior. Unique, customisable (I'd go for a left crown) and available in 3 sizes for just the right fit. Wish it was cheaper.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Out of those, I would go for the Sub (if I did not have a sports Rolex), or the JLC. I've no interest in the others.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts