WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
That's a tough one. From a practical standpoint it boils down to which complication one needs more in a watch - GMT or chrono. However, if this decision is to be based entirely on aesthetics, I'd choose the Phantom Tactical. While I feel that the SMG-1 is a beautiful watch in its own right, the Phantom has more of a signature Kobold look to it, second only to the SEAL, IMO (mind you, just what "signature Kobold look" means exactly, I couldn't say B-)).

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That's a tough one. From a practical standpoint it boils down to which complication one needs more in a watch - GMT or chrono. However, if this decision is to be based entirely on aesthetics, I'd choose the Phantom Tactical. While I feel that the SMG-1 is a beautiful watch in its own right, the Phantom has more of a signature Kobold look to it, second only to the SEAL, IMO (mind you, just what "signature Kobold look" means exactly, I couldn't say B-)).

Regards,
Adam
I agree with Adam that the Seal is the signature watch by Kobold and I see his point about the Phantom. The SMG just speaks to me and of course there is the 3mm case diameter difference between the Phantom (41.3mm) and the SMG (44.35) The point is you really can't go wrong with Kobold

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would have to flip a coin to choose which one I like better. Honestly it's that tough of a choice. Both are very durable, wear well, and are beautiful examples of Kobold's craftsmanship. IMHO, The Phantom would be the signature Kobold timepiece.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yowza!

You know, Pete, I kinda see your point...;-) That picture is talkin' a mile a minute!

Yup, it's a tough choice alright, and one that I wish I was currently being forced to make. In the end I'd probably still go for the Phantom, but that SMG-1 Tactical of Pete's, with the "clean" dial on a Zulu (NATO?) is a stunner.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
SMG-1. I like the option of a UTC function and the multiple timing complications on the Phatom Tactical, while great, are more knobs and bobs to catch on stuff (like gloves, etc).

Although I still think my next Kobold purchase will be a Phantom Tactical, just because I love the timepiece.

James

·
Registered
456 Posts

having both watches, If i'd have to choose I would go for the SMG-1. I really like the larger size. It may only seem like 3 mm but looking at them side by side there is a huge difference in appearence, probably due to the narrow bezel of the smg-1. Additionally, while I like the look of the "clean" dial SMG-1, I think that the orginal design with the am/pm indicator is very, very unique and exclusive to Kobold. It seems that once you start wearing larger watches (Panerai, SMG-1, Seal) the standard Soarway case feels small. I would really like to see a 44mm Soarway case.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
LOL! I agree concerning the Seal - it's the utlimate Kobold. But for a timepiece with complications, I really like the Phantom Tactical. But I also love the utilitarian nature of the SMG-1.

Way too many options and way too little money.

James

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Lets argue. I believe the Seal is the ULTIMATE Kobold.:gold
Well the SEAL is a nice watch for some people, but not me. I owned one before trading it for the Phantom. I did not think it was comfortable to wear and the dial was too small.

For me the phantom is the coolest Kobold and easy to wear. I also like the Endurance 2 that I got recently.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would cast my vote for the most unique kobold: The Polar Surveyor, though i will never need a day night indicator the blue dial to me is unique to Kobold and will never be equalled. the seal is real cool my cousin has one but to big and bulky for every day use.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
SEAL all the way, baby!

While no doubt it's clear from past statements I've made in this and other threads, I'll reiterate my opinion that the SEAL is the de facto "signature" Kobold, in that it is the most unique and individualistic model in the line up (IMO, of course...). To my eyes, nothing else on the market looks like it, and the fact that it's not for everyone only adds to its appeal (the Phantom Tactical is close runner-up, though).

As for the "ultimate" Kobold, I feel that award would have to go to the Polar Surveyour by virtue of its unique complications. Still, in terms of "signature" design, while both the PS and the PT feature the Soarway case, they are too reminiscent of their Sinn forebears for me to view them as the epitome of Kobold design. The SMG-1 and SOA score better in that department.

Mind you, at the end of the day, this is entirely subjective. Everyone has their favorite, and everyone has entirely valid reasons for choosing that particular model. Frankly, if I could own one of each, I would.

Regards,
Adam

PS - This has become a bit of a thread hijack, no? I think I'll start a new thread pertaining to just this subject...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts