WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working in the office today, and left my desk to make a trip to the kitchen. Halfway there I realized that I'd left my cell phone at my desk. Now, I work in a great office with people I would never expect to commit theft, but in this day and age I feel that we are conditioned to expect malice lurking in the hearts of everyone around us. Because of this I wondered if maybe I should go back and retrieve it, just to be on the safe side. But I thought to myself "Nah, it's fine. I work with great people. No one here is going to swipe my phone... Besides, it's not like it's my watch"

Now, for me personally most of my watches are going to be far easier to replace than my phone, and for that matter cheaper too. But I feel like even if the watch were twice the price of the phone, shouldn't I be more worried about the imminently hackable device containing my life's story and mother's maiden name? It's not rational at all, but I feel I'd be much less disappointed if my phone were pilfered than if any of my watches were.

So if you had to choose, which would you give up: Your watch or your phone?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'd give up my phone. You can have my watch when you pry my cold dead hands off of it.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Sorry guys, I'd have to give up my watch. I suppose I'd feel differently if any of my watches were more than $250 or so, but given the amount of data I have on my phone, maybe not.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Phone for sure... Hell, the phone is, virtually, in the "cloud"; downloadable on whatever compatible device. For as much as my phone does...it's not as loved as my wristwatch.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
14,859 Posts
Watch. My phone can tell me the time. My watch cannot call people if I hit a deer.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Depends upon the watch, I guess. (I have more attachment to, say, my DA-36, than I do my Seiko SKXA35.)

I'm gonna be honest here. There is no device that has changed my life (for better and for worse) than my smartphone. I get anxious when I leave the house without it.
And Phone helps you buy more watches... my watches can't help me buy another phone.

Of course, it's more easily replaced (and cheaper) than some of the watches I own, but the phone's utility (directions, weather, e-mail, games, watchrecon, all on the fly) is so important to me, that in most situations, I'd rather lose my watch.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Phone. No contest.

It's backed up and far more easily replaced than most of my watches.

And unlike all of my watches, as a business tool, it contains zero sentimental value.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lotta responses on both sides here (though by my count the phone is ahead)

Would it make a difference if you knew that someone had stolen it, as opposed to it just being lost?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I get hit with a great deal of anxiety if I don't have my keys on my belt, my iPhone, sunglasses, wallet and watch. I can't lose any of them.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Depends upon the watch, I guess. (I have more attachment to, say, my DA-36, than I do my Seiko SKXA35.)

I'm gonna be honest here. There is no device that has changed my life (for better and for worse) than my smartphone. I get anxious when I leave the house without it.
And Phone helps you buy more watches... my watches can't help me buy another phone.

Of course, it's more easily replaced (and cheaper) than some of the watches I own, but the phone's utility (directions, weather, e-mail, games, watchrecon, all on the fly) is so important to me, that in most situations, I'd rather lose my watch.
^^ This. Losing the phone would mean that I must get busy and find a replacement almost immediately, while losing a watch would mean I feel sad about the loss, but I'd just wear another one tomorrow. There are a few exceptions in my collection where I would rather lose the phone, but in most cases it would be the watch.

Losing the phone would make me stressed but not very sad, losing a watch would make me sad but not stressed.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
I'd rather loose my phone considering I don't use mine that much. :-d

I typed out a rather long rant about smart phones users and their reliance on them for daily affirmations but I figured that would offend a lot of people. So I deleted it before posting.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Depends on which watch I'm wearing. The first three on my signature list...probably would rather lose my phone. Anything else on the list? Probably the watch.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Like some I would rather lose my IPhone since I can lock it, track it, erase it's data remotely, and then submit a claim if it is not recoverable to get a replacement possibly. Gotta love technology! But watches on the other hand would might be difficult to find a replacement, especially if they are sentimental gifts. If my daily beater is lost, I would not feel much remorse though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts