WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I've been reading everything in the Grand Seiko forum for a while now, and I've been torn between getting the snowflake and getting one of the quartz models.

In order to make my decision easier (or possibly more difficult) can anyone tell me if there is a white dial quartz model with blued seconds hand? I've seen the champagne dial, but the white just does it for me. I tried any number of Google searches, but have not found one yet.

Obviously this isn't the only consideration, but most of everything else has been covered n one thread or another - at some point I'll just need to get off the fence and go for one.

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
The only one that comes to mind, is the SBGX103, a Limited Edition model from a year or two ago. It It was designed to honor the 20th anniversary of the 9F quartz movement. Sadly, it has been sold out for a long time. Would really love to get my hands on one. It looks stunning:
SBGX103.jpg

It has the same case as the SBGX059, 061, 063 etc series.

I happen to own the SBGX059 with the white dial. It is my first GS, and in spite of not being able to get the SBGX103, I am not disappointed. It is a beautiful watch.

Here is an excellent review of both SBGX059 and 103 with great photos as well:
http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/reviews/grand-seiko-sbgx103-and-sbgx059

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's definitely the one. Even if I could get my hands on it though it would probably cost as much as the snowflake. That does make the job easier... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
I don't know if you live in an area where you are fortunate enough to be able to view the Grand Seiko models at an AD. I had never seen any before, until I discovered that we do have an AD. The SBGX059 was the only quartz model they had at the time, and I bought it on the spot. Fell in love with the white dial, and previously had never considered owning a watch with a white dial. It is still my favourite GS watch that I own.
And you might change your mind about the champagne dial if you could see it in real life. I did. Especially with a blue hand.
There is definitely no compromise with the Snowflake dial, of course! I don't have one, but have seen it in real life.

Here is a closeup of my SBGX059. IMO it makes no compromise either (call me an enabler if you will :-d):

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, that's definitely the one. Even if I could get my hands on it though it would probably cost as much as the snowflake. That does make the job easier... Thanks!
The good news is that it is very unlikely to cost as much as the Snowflake. All the limited edition quartz that I have come across for sale either online or in person, such as the SBGV011 and SBGV019, did retain value better than other quartz Grand Seikos, but definitely do not sell for more than original retail like the SBGW033 tend to do. Bad news is that they are hard to come by, especially the SBGX103, as I don't recall ever seeing a pre-owned one for sale online much less in person. :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think I have been to the AD you are referring to in Vancouver. Very good selection for a North American shop. How do you feel about their pricing? I have never bought a new Grand Seiko so my perspective is a little skewed haha. If you ever want to let go of the SBGV011 I would be very interested. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Toronto, and we do have an AD here. When I was last there they only had a few models, and I wasn't considering quartz at that time, so I don't remember what they had. They did have the snowflake, which was what I was there for.

Still waiting on a few things from the financial side of things, but hopefully soon I'll be able to pull the trigger and I'll see what's out there.

I'm fairly sure that I'm leaning towards the snowflake though. It's just so captivating. I definitely will se what quartz they have their though before making a final decision.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm in Toronto, and we do have an AD here. When I was last there they only had a few models, and I wasn't considering quartz at that time, so I don't remember what they had. They did have the snowflake, which was what I was there for.

Still waiting on a few things from the financial side of things, but hopefully soon I'll be able to pull the trigger and I'll see what's out there.

I'm fairly sure that I'm leaning towards the snowflake though. It's just so captivating. I definitely will se what quartz they have their though before making a final decision.
Maaate....If you want the snowflake, get the snowflake. A GS quartz won't satisfy the itch :-!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maaate....If you want the snowflake, get the snowflake. A GS quartz won't satisfy the itch :-!
Seconded. I always advocate getting what you really want within your means; settling just tends to mean more money spent overall as you are likely going to get the Snowflake eventually anyhow.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I third that..... See as much as you can in person then buy what you want even if that means saving longer.
while they all seem similar the subtle differences in face/ indices and case make a huge difference, as does weight and sweep when it's on wrist.
For me once I saw and handled the ones I was interested in the decision about what was the best choice for me was clear cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oztech

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
Seconded. I always advocate getting what you really want within your means; settling just tends to mean more money spent overall as you are likely going to get the Snowflake eventually anyhow.
I own only one GS and it is a Snowflake. Get the Snowflake. You will not be disappointed and you will avoid the possibility of gnawing regret from not getting what you really want. Better to patiently wait for the Snowflake than soon settle for the Quartz. Not that there is anything wrong with the Quartz GS, they are just not a Snowflake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts