WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I'm listing some possible candidates for a graduation watch. I just started my graduation, and hope to finish half way november. Me and my university friends agreed to gift eachother a 200 euro watch whenever one graduates (on which I intend to add up to 500 on the budget for my own, which should get me a pretty decent watch). So right now I'm basically putting together a shortlist of watches, which right now is still kind of a long list :p
One style that piques my interest is white dials with some red numerals. The watch that blew my mind on this was a 40's vintage doxa chronograph, which is obviously outside any realm of possibilities:

I love the white and red combination though. So I'd love any suggestions for modern day watches with that kind of vibe, to add to my list ;)
I already found a seiko SNE045, which is quite within the budget, but maybe not the quality piece I'd like for a graduation watch. Another is a ladies Junghans, which would be perfectly suitable as a mens watch if I put it on a black strap. I actually prefer smaller watches. Anything from 30 to 40mm is great, with my sweet spot between 36 to 38mm. Up to 42mm is the maximum stretch, but would love to keep it within that sweet spot.
however, that junghans is quartz, would prefer mechanical.

Grmbllejdhht... On a side note, did this from my parents iPad. God what a pain in the a*s... Never been so frustrated posting a thread. I'll just stick with android, thats for sure.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Registered
Ah starting that final push towards graduation? Good luck. Anyway a Seiko is a great watch for a grad gift. A lot of folks got them back in the day when I graduated. Seiko makes a nice solid watch that is not pretentious but will give the owner years of service.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Although I agree seiko make great watches, I am looking to go up a tier with this watch. Since it is a graduation watch, I want it to be something more special. A seiko would be a watch like any other I have owned so far, in terms of quality. My Chr. Ward c60 is clearly a step above the other watches in my current (and past) collection, which is what I want my graduation watch to be as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Both great watches I was already aware of, but a bit too busy for my taste. The strela would have been perfect if it lacked the black and the blue track, and red track would have included the seconds like the doxa.
Really most chronos with this vintage style are way too busy. That's what struck me about the doxa so much, very minimalist for a chrono.
So I guess I prefer a non chrono.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Registered

Registered
This is all I could get with my Google-Fu.

Neither are graduation gift worthy, in my opinion. And they are both quartz.

I would really go with that Jungans. Sure it's not mechanical, but it comes pretty close to the look you're going for. I think you would end up liking despite being quartz.

Registered
Oh lord, that Doxa is amazing! The first white dial I've seen so far that I love.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the Junghans wins so far.
And yes that doxa is amazing, if some micro would do a proper homage with mechanical chrono movement I'd sell of my collection and become a one watch guy. (Maybe a beater with that)
Think it would work casually and dressy depending upon a strap. White dials work with pretty much any color shirts, so very versatile. and the splash of red gives it a subtle visual interest. Perfect one watch for me!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Btw, a Nomos Club just came to my mind as wrll. would also fit the theme. Though it is rather expensive... maybe if I flip some watches additionally to the budget it could work. Something to consider when the time is there :)

Meanwhile, other suggestions are welcome!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I have been debating mondaine watches, but ever since I saw it in the flesh on someone's wrist it kind of turned me off. Not sure why, just doesn't resonate with me as much in real life I guess.

The autodromo is cool! Not entirely what I was looking for here, but thanks for reminding me of the brand. They have some cool watches I might consider.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aristo doctors watch, comes with ETA and also cheaper quartz:

Spanish forum project called Galeno:

More here:
Hilo oficial de presentaci贸n "Galeno": Precio, plazos, condiciones....

Zeppelin 7546-1 Nordstern

St. Gallen Disinfectable Watch
Thanks! Some cool suggestions I hadn't heard of before. Not all my cup of tea though. Will have a closer look at Aristo though, looks interesting.

Nothing quite beating the Junghans yet though, except maybe the Nomos, but not sure I'm willing to flip some watches to make that possible...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts