WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am not sure where to post this. I am looking for a Pan Am GMT homage or a white faced sub homage. I do not need the GMT and the Mercedes hands are not required. What I do need is a thinner watch I can wear with a dress shirt. My Tuna is just too thick for a dress shirt.

I am not looking at Alpha, but would prefer a reputable Boutique brands
that offer value for money. The range I am looking in is up to $1,200. Is there someone making this? Please help, for the love of ###, please help!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Steinhart has one coming out very soon. As far as I know, it's a limited run for a Dutch forum. I managed to get one from a friend. You may try contacting Steinhart directly or look for one for sale as soon as they're released.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Steinhart has one coming out very soon. As far as I know, it's a limited run for a Dutch forum. I managed to get one from a friend. You may try contacting Steinhart directly or look for one for sale as soon as they're released.
Hi,

Like Brandon says, Steinhart has developed a Limited Edition Pan Am GMT homage for a Dutch watchsite, called Horlogeforum.nl. There will be 35 pieces produced, of course all will be individually numbered incl. matching documents. The caseback will also be similar to the original Rolex model. Horlogeforum.nl produces a Limited Edition every year, production between 20 and 50 pieces, depending on the number of members signing up for the LE. Past years LE's have been produced by Archimede, Fortis, Meistersinger, Zeno, Pellikaan etc. Almost all LE's have kept their value extremely well, some have are even more expensive second hand.........

If you would like to see some pictures, let me know and I will post them in this thread.

Eric

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Eric, I would like to see the pictures.

I guess with only 35 pieces produced they are all spoken for. :(

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yup heard about this one by Steinhart too. I'd be interested as well. Though I am not and have not flown Pan Am. Must've been before my time.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Eric, I would love to see some pictures. Thanks.

Hi,

Like Brandon says, Steinhart has developed a Limited Edition Pan Am GMT homage for a Dutch watchsite, called Horlogeforum.nl. There will be 35 pieces produced, of course all will be individually numbered incl. matching documents. The caseback will also be similar to the original Rolex model. Horlogeforum.nl produces a Limited Edition every year, production between 20 and 50 pieces, depending on the number of members signing up for the LE. Past years LE's have been produced by Archimede, Fortis, Meistersinger, Zeno, Pellikaan etc. Almost all LE's have kept their value extremely well, some have are even more expensive second hand.........

If you would like to see some pictures, let me know and I will post them in this thread.

Eric

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi Eric, I would like to see the pictures.

I guess with only 35 pieces produced they are all spoken for. :(
Hi,

just a little background information on this. Horlogeforum.nl is a local Dutch watchsite, it litterally means Watchforum and is the biggest Dutch watchsite. Every year they are on a quest trying to find a manufacturer that will design a Horlogeforum LE for that year. The last years brands like Azimuth, Fortis, Meistersinger and Pellikaan have contributed to the production of LE watches. Minimum production is 25 pieces, maximum production is 99 pieces per year. Depending on your "status" you are able to sign up for a LE, the number of participants will determine the total number of LE's produced.

Production last years has varied from 25 - 50 pieces. There is a "predesign round" where several manufacturers have the possibility to show their design to the members of the LE committee, an official vote will determine which 3 manufacturers will have the possibility to present themselves to the forum.

This year Prometheus (special version of Recon 5) and two designs of Steinhart were favourite to the forum. After the final voting the Pan Am homage from Steinhart was announced as the 2011 Horlogeforum Limited Edition.

The LE is based on the Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT, 42mm. All pictures shown are artist impressions from Steinhart, actual launch should be somewhere between mid October and beginning November

When signing up for the LE you had the option to choose for domed plexi, flat sapphire with date magnifier or domed sapphire without date magnifier. The last option would be the best, IMHO.

Further specs are 300m WR, white dial, Old Radium Superluminova, ETA 2893-2 GMT caliber and extra black Nato strap.

They are not available unless some of the members will put it up for sale.

I hope this explains a bit on the development of the Horlogeforum LE.

Eric

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think if the MKII gets the green light, it will be a few years until it makes it to the market. The Kingstons haven't all been delivered to the customers and the 300 Project is up next....

·
Banned
668 Posts
I seem to remember the PamAm was a GMT. What good is a watch design paying homage if it misses the intent of the original?
Just asking, maybe I mis read the original as wanting a non-GMT? Well, I do have a suggestion. Check out the white faced Zeno GMT
Preferably the Deluxe. It can also be named dual time. I have one and it is such a great timepiece. I think I should have a better band on it though. This model number has eluded me on data sheets. A newer one is out and the XL is another good possibility.
If you are not aware of the brand, check it out. Good luck and I would also like to see a PanAm homage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I organized my albums on Photobucket so my pictures have disappeared. So here we go again:

Remember, these are all artist impressions as the actual LE has not yet been released. It was due mid October, last update is that they have been shipped from Switzerland to Steinhart and should arrive very soon in the Netherlands so they can all be handed over to their new owners. And yes, as far as I understood some members ordered 2, like Marnix said.

Have a good weekend!

Eric

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I seem to remember the PamAm was a GMT. What good is a watch design paying homage if it misses the intent of the original?
Just asking, maybe I mis read the original as wanting a non-GMT? Well, I do have a suggestion. Check out the white faced Zeno GMT
Preferably the Deluxe. It can also be named dual time. I have one and it is such a great timepiece. I think I should have a better band on it though. This model number has eluded me on data sheets. A newer one is out and the XL is another good possibility.
If you are not aware of the brand, check it out. Good luck and I would also like to see a PanAm homage.
The original PanAm was a GMT, like stated above. The Steinhart is an actual homage to this Rolex-model. The Zeno seems to be a nice watch but will not be able to compete with the Steinhart PanAm homage.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
White Tuna;4383653[SIZE=2 said:
I am looking for a Pan Am GMT homage or a white faced sub homage. I do not need the GMT and the Mercedes hands are not required. What I do need is a thinner watch I can wear with a dress shirt. My Tuna is just too thick for a dress shirt.

I am not looking at Alpha, but would prefer a reputable Boutique brands
[/SIZE] that offer value for money. The range I am looking in is up to $1,200. Is there someone making this? Please help, for the love of ###, please help!
How about a Debaufre GMT clone in 39mm and then have a simple white dial installed by someone? I think you can do that for less than $1200.

Débaufré GMT Blue / Red 39mm Swiss Watch | Swiss Made dive watches, pilot watches, luxury watches, and tool watches by Debaufre Swiss Watches

How about a Fortis B42?

FORTIS Swiss Watches

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wont be the bit surprised if the MKII model is all of this and even perhaps a touch nicer....but one must be prepared for an indeterminate wait. I don't think it's unreasonalbe to suggest that it may be years before the MKII pan-am is ready to be delivered, a shame really

·
Registered
Double wristing the Speedmaster & Apple Watch most days.
639 Posts
I agree with what others are saying concerning MKII. The Kingston LE is midway (maybe a little more) through the deliveries right now and the typical owner has been waiting approximately 2 years at this point. With that said, the Kingston is being very well received by those who have taken delivery.

Project 300 LE is in the middle of the design phase right now and, I imagine, the owners will be waiting at least another year at this point.

It seems like the way it's going to work out will be that the MKII Pan Am homage will complete the design phase in early 2012 and (hopefully) be ready for delivery in about another year. I think anyone getting onboard with the MKII Pan Am better be prepared to wait awhile. If Pan-Am's start getting delivered before 2012's over I'll be surprised. (Mind you none of this is keeping me from being 100% excited about MKII's Pan Am! I definitely plan on owning one of those bad boys!)

But, in the case of the OP, sounds like you're not interested in waiting the better part of 18 months. I'd agree with the post by karwath above and suggest going with the Debaufre GMT Blue/Red. You can get it in 39mm or 42mm size and (as you were saying you want something on the thin side) the 39 comes in at 12.3mm thick and the 42 at 12.7mm; in either case, it's pretty thin for a mechanical watch. I know you said you want a white dial homage (I agree with you actually, I too prefer the white for this particular watch), but, a little trivia here, the Pan Am pilot version was actually the black dial, the white dial was the version that the Pan Am executives wore. Don't know if that makes any difference to you, but if nothing else, it's an interesting fact.

Good luck with your search. Happy hunting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts