WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great looking watch and very atmospheric photos.

Congrats mate!

Reactions: gripmaster

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never seen that one before! Cool bro, Congrats! :-!
Never seen a white frog, very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful. Great score!
amazing pics dude!!!!
Thanks guys, I am still speechless about this one... I, too, had never seen a white Frogman in real life but always wanted one...
Now that it's standing on my desk in its box, it looks quite surrealistic...
an absolute highlight.
There will be more pictures of this one, for sure...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Amazing pictures Stephan!
Enjoy the watch, glad it went to a worthy successor. :)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
This has always been one of my favorite frogs. I had one back when I was collecting ICERC models (don't have that collection anymore). An interesting thing about this watch: it is a 2006 model, and in 2006 G-shocks were kind of out of the mainstream, but about to take off in a big way. One of the things that helped G-shocks make a comeback was watches being worn by celebrities. This particular frogman was worn by Kanye West

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has always been one of my favorite frogs. I had one back when I was collecting ICERC models (don't have that collection anymore). An interesting thing about this watch: it is a 2006 model, and in 2006 G-shocks were kind of out of the mainstream, but about to take off in a big way. One of the things that helped G-shocks make a comeback was watches being worn by celebrities. This particular frogman was worn by Kanye West
WOW thanks for the background... I will call you Encyclo-Frog-ia from now on....
The "White Whale" as I have just resolved to call this one from now on, is also one of my favorites now!

·
Registered
501 Posts
never seen that one before, where'd you find it? love that first pic, looks surreal
This is one of the ICERC frogmen that came out in 2006 - there were a string of them from 2001-2006 I believe. The model number is GW-206k , the ones from each year were the GW-200k (2001) , GW-202k (2002), GW-203k (2003) etc. I believe 2006 was the last year that the numbering scheme was that way - there is no GW-207k
Anyway, these are very rare, only show up in the used/collector market, and because of the color, finding one with a truly white band nowadays is difficult. Most of them now have some discoloring, or were worn hard - therefore the bezel/bands are in bad shape.
The GW-206k is IMO one of the best looking G-shocks ever produced. Great collector if you can find one in good shape.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
never was a fan of white watches, but the white watch band wagon really did help G-Shock re-launch its brand
Agreed. The sudden fashion of large and white G-Shocks amongst the younger crowd really brought Casio watches back to the foreground. It's not really my fashion, but it has done a great job in reviving the brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
This is one of the ICERC frogmen that came out in 2006 - there were a string of them from 2001-2006 I believe. The model number is GW-206k , the ones from each year were the GW-200k (2001) , GW-202k (2002), GW-203k (2003) etc. I believe 2006 was the last year that the numbering scheme was that way - there is no GW-207k
Anyway, these are very rare, only show up in the used/collector market, and because of the color, finding one with a truly white band nowadays is difficult. Most of them now have some discoloring, or were worn hard - therefore the bezel/bands are in bad shape.
The GW-206k is IMO one of the best looking G-shocks ever produced. Great collector if you can find one in good shape.

This is correct. They stopped with the ICERC Frogs after 2006, but there is the green "Kermit" frogman, which is a "Love the Sea and the Earth" model, that came out later (2009, I think)

Of the 2001-2006 run, they are all rare and sought after collectibles. The only one I never got was the GW-202K, of which there are two versions (a clear jelly and a blue jelly). The dark blue GW-202K in mint condition is worth the most, followed by the red jelly (GW-203K), then probably this white one, then the GW-204K (black and yellow), and GW-205K (white and navy). For some reason the first one (navy and silver) is the cheapest and can be found the easiest. Maybe back then there were still a lot of people collecting and keeping their G-shocks brand new.

There are also some Baby-G ICERC Frogs, which are also very rare.

Yahoo Japan Auctions is the best place to find them, all the models come up for sale regularly, but they are usually expensive.

Another interesting thing: both the blue jelly and the red jelly suffer from the same problem where the clear coating on the band starts to peel off over time. The blue jelly also has a special logo glue onto the keeper, which tends to come off. So because of this, a blue jelly or red jelly needs to be brand new or barely worn at all in order to still be in perfect condition, which is why they are so rare in mint condition. Oddly, the GW-202AK (the clear version of the 2002 model) is not usually as valuable, partly because nearly all of them have a tendency to yellow with age (something that many Japanese collectors seem to dislike).

·
Registered
29,062 Posts
Now finally I have seen your well kept secret GM :) Looks absolutely stunning. Huge congrats and wear it in good health. What a Frog:) Definitely needs to be pampered. It's a sensitive fella I think. Enjoy and what a great timing finishing 2013 in great style. Wow really great one. Best Tom

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is correct. They stopped with the ICERC Frogs after 2006, but there is the green "Kermit" frogman, which is a "Love the Sea and the Earth" model, that came out later (2009, I think)

Of the 2001-2006 run, they are all rare and sought after collectibles. The only one I never got was the GW-202K, of which there are two versions (a clear jelly and a blue jelly). The dark blue GW-202K in mint condition is worth the most, followed by the red jelly (GW-203K), then probably this white one, then the GW-204K (black and yellow), and GW-205K (white and navy). For some reason the first one (navy and silver) is the cheapest and can be found the easiest. Maybe back then there were still a lot of people collecting and keeping their G-shocks brand new.

There are also some Baby-G ICERC Frogs, which are also very rare.

Yahoo Japan Auctions is the best place to find them, all the models come up for sale regularly, but they are usually expensive.

Another interesting thing: both the blue jelly and the red jelly suffer from the same problem where the clear coating on the band starts to peel off over time. The blue jelly also has a special logo glue onto the keeper, which tends to come off. So because of this, a blue jelly or red jelly needs to be brand new or barely worn at all in order to still be in perfect condition, which is why they are so rare in mint condition. Oddly, the GW-202AK (the clear version of the 2002 model) is not usually as valuable, partly because nearly all of them have a tendency to yellow with age (something that many Japanese collectors seem to dislike).
I reiterate: you are Frogipedia! Thank you for taking the time to share this... My last Frog of the year is coming in today.
The year ends as it began.. Amphibious and exciting!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now finally I have seen your well kept secret GM :) Looks absolutely stunning. Huge congrats and wear it in good health. What a Frog:) Definitely needs to be pampered. It's a sensitive fella I think. Enjoy and what a great timing finishing 2013 in great style. Wow really great one. Best Tom
Thanks Tom... Thanks for the solidarity while waiting! Yes it does look stunning, already it's a lighter Frog than the others I have but it looks even lighter in that color.
I wear all my Gs normally and everywhere, but the "White Whale" may not have to go into mud, jungle hunting or on the top of a volcano....
But I will now measure the quality of newly fallen snow against this white Frogman.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts