WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What colour is best on both rubber and bracelet?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

As we all know the itch for the next watch is always lingering, even long before I bought my last watch (3861 speedy) I already had the next one in my mind. I knew it had to be a diver. Down the rabbit hole, I watch tons of videos, browse pictures and find the Omega Seamaster diver 300m, and I set my mind on the white dial as the best looking:

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Everyday carry

(img stolen from hodinkee shop)

Further down the line, I walk into my local AD almost set to buy it on the spot, but I wanted to look at the blue and black side by side with the white, just to be sure.

And I must say, the white did not speak to me at all, the blue was gorgeous, and the black was also stunning. After seeing it in person, the white felt like meeting an tinder date with a obviously old pic… You see the resemblance, but it’s just not what you pictured in your head.

Anyone else have the same feeling? I have looked at all 3 several times, and the white always disappoints me in person. And it is a real shame because I want to like it.

Bonus question: Which colour would you go for?
Personally I am leaning towards the black one, even though the blue on the bracelet was much more stunning than the pictures showed. But this will be my vacation pice and I will be buying it with both the bracelet and the rubber strap. Using the strap when I want to tone it down. And I find the blue strap a bit much. In addition, I aim for an smaller collection, and believe that the black is the most versatile.

·
Premium Member
11,163 Posts
I always knew I would like the blue and black, but I'll admit I was very impressed by the white in person.

·
Premium Member
8,197 Posts
Black looks better in real life in my opinion. White one looked a little silvery to me, but that may have been the AD lighting

·
Registered
474 Posts
Same situation here. I didn’t choose yet, but the white looks plain, bigger and less versatile than the others. I’m tending to the black. Can’t decide since 2020 :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Black dial for me, followed by the white dial. I have never really liked blue dial watches. Currently have the Seamaster with the black dial on the rubber strap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
AD lighting doesn't do much to accurately capture what the SMP300 looks like in "real life", so be very careful about this. They usually have tiny pot lights at a high distance and they aren't well lit. The SMP changes significantly when light hits it - the black and blue turn into mirrors, the white turns into a silver pearlescent color. I didn't get anywhere close to the true reflection while I was shopping indoors.

With that said, there is still no right answer for the SMP's dial color. Everyone will have a different opinion, and none of them are wrong. Some people love them all equally, but it comes down to what you want the watch for. I've never seen a watch that can look totally different with just a color change on the dial - the black and white are absolutely identical other than the dial color, but they couldn't look more different. It's also incredible that the white, black and blue all have extremely loyal followings that declare themselves the best - and they are pretty evenly divided. Polls usually show that black and white tie for the most popular, with blue just a bit behind. Here's a summary of what I've seen people say about each:

White
General opinion I've seen: striking, makes a statement, more casual, more of a summer/good weather watch. Goes best on black strap.
My opinion: I like my white SMP, I think it was the best choice for me. It goes well with white dress shirts and with polo shirts, so it's perfect for me in the office. I tried to capture the pearlescent/color shifting effect here:

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Wrist

Watch Analog watch White Silver Everyday carry

Black
General opinion I've seen: more flexible, more formal, can turn a bit bland after a while. Goes best on bracelet.
My opinion: it's pretty special, but much more subtle. I question whether I should have bought it instead.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

Blue
General opinion I've seen: the traditional SMP color, but possibly most casual out of the three. More likely to be in the "love it or hate it" category. Goes well on either bracelet or strap.
My opinion: the blue didn't do much for me, unfortunately. It would be a good match for people who already have black and/or white dials and want something different, not as an "only watch".

Watch Analog watch White Light Clock

Grey
General opinion I've seen: it gets passed over a lot because the other 3 are so well-executed. Some love it, but the resale market clearly shows it lags behind the others.
My opinion: it didn't interest me.

Nekton
General opinion I've seen: ?
My opinion: kind of cool, but doesn't quite scratch the itch

Sedna gold with black
General opinion I've seen: it seems to be very well-liked when people post pictures of it. It captures the magic of the black, but somehow hits it out of the park in formal situations, even on rubber.
My opinion: couldn't justify the cost
(not my photos)
Watch Tableware Table Photograph Furniture

Watch Photograph White Analog watch Plant

·
Registered
40 Posts
I actually had the same exact reaction you did. That being said, I still think the white is pretty great looking but I do think it looks even better in photos than in person.

If I had to choose, it would be between the white dial and the black. I'd probably still lean white, since I have so many black dials already but I'd have to go wear both again before putting a nail in that coffin.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like all three colors, and did not think the white disappointed in person. If you are looking for a white dial watch, the SMP is about as nice as I’ve seen. As with others, I wish the watches were a bit smaller however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m wearing my white dial on a rubber strap right now. My opinion would be the opposite, I think it looks better in person than in pictures. I wear it on the bracelet sometimes, but I think the rubber strap looks the best. To me, the blue dial, bezel, and rubber strap is too much blue - but it’s all so subjective anyway.

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Wrist

·
Registered
121 Posts
Blue is just amazing. Wife got mine for Christmas 2021 and ever time it comes out it’s like discovering the watch all over again.

I always look at it what drew me to the case. What watch caught my eye when I first walk over to it. For me the blue and the yellow gold and blue. But the blue to me is just the right color and fit my life style perfectly. It’s a sea master what ever color you pick you will be happy with!! Good luck can’t wait to se what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 113 Posts