WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What colour is best on both rubber and bracelet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

As we all know the itch for the next watch is always lingering, even long before I bought my last watch (3861 speedy) I already had the next one in my mind. I knew it had to be a diver. Down the rabbit hole, I watch tons of videos, browse pictures and find the Omega Seamaster diver 300m, and I set my mind on the white dial as the best looking:

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Everyday carry

(img stolen from hodinkee shop)

Further down the line, I walk into my local AD almost set to buy it on the spot, but I wanted to look at the blue and black side by side with the white, just to be sure.

And I must say, the white did not speak to me at all, the blue was gorgeous, and the black was also stunning. After seeing it in person, the white felt like meeting an tinder date with a obviously old pic… You see the resemblance, but it’s just not what you pictured in your head.

Anyone else have the same feeling? I have looked at all 3 several times, and the white always disappoints me in person. And it is a real shame because I want to like it.

Bonus question: Which colour would you go for?
Personally I am leaning towards the black one, even though the blue on the bracelet was much more stunning than the pictures showed. But this will be my vacation pice and I will be buying it with both the bracelet and the rubber strap. Using the strap when I want to tone it down. And I find the blue strap a bit much. In addition, I aim for an smaller collection, and believe that the black is the most versatile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This post got some traction 😅

I did not include all the models because some are out of budget (like the nttd or gold variants, even tho they also look stunning), and did not find the other (like the gray dial) variants to attractive.

But thanks for all your input, looks like some people agree that the white is very handsome at pictures, and not so much in real life, and some still believe it is a stunner in real life as well. But it is somehow good to know that I am not alone in being "deceived" by the pictures o_O. I kind of feel the same as bigjaymofo wrote, it looks a bit less premium than the other ones. And also, that the black looks way better in real life than in photos.

But after seeing the pictures by mdgrwl posted by tasteless.beaver, and others here I did fall in love with the white dial again, I will have to have another look at my local dealer again before I decide...

As for the blue model, yes it is "the seamaster color" as several people have pointed out, and I find it gorgeous on the bracelet. I do however find it a bit to much on the blue rubber strap, and as I mentioned, I want to use it on the rubber strap to tone it down a bit when I travel etc.

So far in my collection I have one white watch, that is a bit dressier with a leather strap, but the rest are black dials, so I guess if one looks at the collection angle, I can go both white, to have some variation, or keep on going black to keep it uniform...

Decisions, decisions.... I will be making one next week, so far I am leaning a bit towards the black as it was stunning in real life, compared to the photos. But photos in this thread has me questioning the white again :p

Either way, thanks all for the inputs, and I will post an update once I decide an buy one of them :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Nato straps are your friend here, my friend!

I posted my blue SMP on a variety of straps earlier in the thread- it really does change the perceived "blueness" depending on the color of strap.
Hmm, I do have an seiko skx007 that I wear with a nato, but I find that nato straps tend to add quite much thickness, so I would prefer the rubber strap… But maybe you do have a point 🤔

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Finally got my smp :)

I almost got the white after seeing photos of it here again. But ultimately the black dial is a bit more interesting imo, as it reflects more light than the white one. The black dial simply looks stunning in real life vs photos. I also feel that the white saw a bit cheap/plasticky in certain lighting.

The blue was gorgeous on the bracelet, but I find the blue rubber strap comb a bit too blue. And I really want to use both the strap and bracelet.
A couple of quick shots:

Watch Hand Arm Sleeve Grey

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Gesture

1 - 6 of 6 Posts