WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What colour is best on both rubber and bracelet?

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
i do find the lighting at the AD can make a difference. Tag Carrera blue dial looked fabulous on the website and photos but in person at the AD, it was so underwhelming. couldn't see the sunburst blue....seemed like a sick shade of black instead.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I owned the white for nearly a year and realized that I wasn’t as wowed by it after the honeymoon period ended. I decided to trade it in on a blue variant and couldn’t be happier. The blue just dazzles, particularly compared to the white.
Check back with us after the blue variant honeymoon lol

Reactions: Lee_K

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Hi all!

As we all know the itch for the next watch is always lingering, even long before I bought my last watch (3861 speedy) I already had the next one in my mind. I knew it had to be a diver. Down the rabbit hole, I watch tons of videos, browse pictures and find the Omega Seamaster diver 300m, and I set my mind on the white dial as the best looking:

View attachment 16365417

(img stolen from hodinkee shop)

Further down the line, I walk into my local AD almost set to buy it on the spot, but I wanted to look at the blue and black side by side with the white, just to be sure.

And I must say, the white did not speak to me at all, the blue was gorgeous, and the black was also stunning. After seeing it in person, the white felt like meeting an tinder date with a obviously old pic… You see the resemblance, but it’s just not what you pictured in your head.

Anyone else have the same feeling? I have looked at all 3 several times, and the white always disappoints me in person. And it is a real shame because I want to like it.

Bonus question: Which colour would you go for?
Personally I am leaning towards the black one, even though the blue on the bracelet was much more stunning than the pictures showed. But this will be my vacation pice and I will be buying it with both the bracelet and the rubber strap. Using the strap when I want to tone it down. And I find the blue strap a bit much. In addition, I aim for an smaller collection, and believe that the black is the most versatile.
Nope. I thought white in person looked even better than pics. The blue otoh looks weird, almost comical. I haven't liked the blue on these models since they went to the ceramic models in the early 2010s.

Black looks nice too, very class imo.

If I was buying I'd probably go black.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just some info that I wish I knew before hand.

The bracelet with all links is heavier than the watch head.

Full bracelet is about 100 grams
Watch head is about 85 grams

The bracelet clasp at its widest is 21.5mm

On the other hand the OEM rubber is just 24 grams.

So the watch on the rubber is only about 9 grams heavier then the bracelet alone.

If I knew this I would have saved money and just opted for the rubber strap version.

Also there’s many good options to the brick of the OEM bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Just some info that I wish I knew before hand.

The bracelet with all links is heavier than the watch head.

Full bracelet is about 100 grams
Watch head is about 85 grams

The bracelet clasp at its widest is 21.5mm

On the other hand the OEM rubber is just 24 grams.

So the watch on the rubber is only about 9 grams heavier then the bracelet alone.

If I knew this I would have saved money and just opted for the rubber strap version.

Also there’s many good options to the brick of the OEM bracelet.

So tired of hearing people constantly complain about the factory bracelet.
It doesn't taper! Really? No one can tell the difference between a 20/18mm tapered and a 20mm un-tapered bracelet just by having it on the wrist.
It weighs a whopping 185 grams on the bracelet! 185 grams, eh? That's a grand total of 6.5 ounces and if that bothers you so much I'd start lifting weights.
I suppose if some people aren't complaining about something they're not happy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
984 Posts
So tired of hearing people constantly complain about the factory bracelet.
It doesn't taper! Really? No one can tell the difference between a 20/18mm tapered and a 20mm un-tapered bracelet just by having it on the wrist.
It weighs a whopping 185 grams on the bracelet! 185 grams, eh? That's a grand total of 6.5 ounces and if that bothers you so much I'd start lifting weights.
I suppose if some people aren't complaining about something they're not happy. :rolleyes:
Doesn’t change the fact that it’s a mismatch to the watch itself. More like an after thought imo. It sounds like you took my criticism a bit too seriously.

The watch is fantastic and well worth Msrp.

I gave the data points as information for a potential buyer to use as it would have affected my purchase has I known.

Don’t need to lift any more these day. Rotator cuff surgeries have me focusing on cardio more. My wrists are down to a measly 7.25”.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Very interesting thread and opinions. Not that this is the first time, we have one every month it seems and usually brings out lot of contributors.

Also nice to see some SMPs on aftermarket bracelets. Now I know people trash the OEM bracelet alot and while there might be aftermarket replacements that are lighter or more comfortable, anytime I see the Diver 300 on anything but its OEM it seems like cheating.

I think the bracelet makes the Diver 300M so unique and interesting. It IS its own watch and not pretending to be a sub knockoff. That is the charm and after 30 years of same design, its a bit of modern icon. It hasn't aged on me and I still love it just like that.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Doesn’t change the fact that it’s a mismatch to the watch itself. More like an after thought imo. It sounds like you took my criticism a bit too seriously.

The watch is fantastic and well worth Msrp.

I gave the data points as information for a potential buyer to use as it would have affected my purchase has I known.

Don’t need to lift any more these day. Rotator cuff surgeries have me focusing on cardio more. My wrists are down to a measly 7.25”.

A mismatch to the watch itself? You're entitled to your own opinion but that's all it is, your own opinion. I doubt the thousands of people who own this watch on the bracelet, myself included, would agree.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You sound very indecisive. Perhaps you need something in White & Blue
The SMP Tokyo White is much better appreciated in the flesh rather than the other way around.Those Blued Hands are simply fabulous
I'm not sure why but the ratcheting action of the rotating bezel is crisper cleaner and louder
I vote for white and blue, too. :)

When I saw the “Tokyo” and it stopped me in my tracks. The blue bezel and white dial - plus blue hands and indices framed with blue. I had to have it. It won’t be leaving my collection. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't own one as I'm still pretty fond of my Peter Blake but each time I see them at the AD or OB, I lean towards the white because it's more legible to me. For some reason the waves on the black and blue distract my eyes from telling the time easily. Can't go wrong with any of them though. Gorgeous watches with an insane movement! Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
324 Posts
Very interesting thread and opinions. Not that this is the first time, we have one every month it seems and usually brings out lot of contributors.

Also nice to see some SMPs on aftermarket bracelets. Now I know people trash the OEM bracelet alot and while there might be aftermarket replacements that are lighter or more comfortable, anytime I see the Diver 300 on anything but its OEM it seems like cheating.

I think the bracelet makes the Diver 300M so unique and interesting. It IS its own watch and not pretending to be a sub knockoff. That is the charm and after 30 years of same design, its a bit of modern icon. It hasn't aged on me and I still love it just like that.
Absolutely. The bracelet on the SMP is just part of the watch to me. The bracelet helps define the watch so much. I sometimes think about another strap for my SMP but I always decide against it. It’s the only watch I own that hasn’t been on another strap at some point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Finally got my smp :)

I almost got the white after seeing photos of it here again. But ultimately the black dial is a bit more interesting imo, as it reflects more light than the white one. The black dial simply looks stunning in real life vs photos. I also feel that the white saw a bit cheap/plasticky in certain lighting.

The blue was gorgeous on the bracelet, but I find the blue rubber strap comb a bit too blue. And I really want to use both the strap and bracelet.
A couple of quick shots:

Watch Hand Arm Sleeve Grey

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Gesture

·
Premium Member
15,300 Posts
Finally got my smp :)

I almost got the white after seeing photos of it here again. But ultimately the black dial is a bit more interesting imo, as it reflects more light than the white one. The black dial simply looks stunning in real life vs photos. I also feel that the white saw a bit cheap/plasticky in certain lighting.

The blue was gorgeous on the bracelet, but I find the blue rubber strap comb a bit too blue. And I really want to use both the strap and bracelet.
A couple of quick shots:

View attachment 16387674
View attachment 16387673
Congrats. When I’m doubt go with black, unless you’re a bride at your first wedding ;)

LOoOser in the brotherhood

81 - 100 of 113 Posts