WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was contemplating getting the Seiko "BFK" SKX371 as a fun rugged dive watch.
But then I thought I talked myself into saving up for the Seiko SBDC001 "Sumo", for the following reasons.

More of a long term keeper, more of a all situations daily wearer, better fit and finish and most importantly I have wanted one since they first came out.
the cons are it cost about 2.5 times more than what I can get the SKX371 for.

I don't have many watches right now other than a dress watch and a cheap Russian aviator. I would snatch up a Sumo but I fear it's a little out of my price range right now.

But then I came across these pics of the SKZ323 "White Stargate" and I think this might be a good compromise.

^ white stargate, not my pic

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

^BFK next to Sumo/ not my pics
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

^Sumo next to stargates/ not my pics
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

^white Stargate
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

the Black Sumo is really classy, classic and timeless, but the BFK is such a bargain it's worth consideration too/ quartz doesn't really bother me.

but now I'm thinking so is the White Stargate, being about the same price as the BFK, It reminds me of my old whiteknight that I liked but without the things I didn't, "better hands, no integrated bracelet" etc.

Plus the bracelet looks like its nice with 22mm width, solid end pieces etc...
If they were all the same price I would pick the Sumo, but you could buy the Stargate and the BFK and still have some left over for the price of the Sumo.

What one would you choose as a daily wearer and how would you rank these?
Any other ideas are welcome too

thanks

:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I really like the white Stargate, I just got one after having the all black one for a few years. It looks really classy compared to my other divers. Unfortunately, the one I got has been tampered with... scratches on the hands and the caseback indicate a sloppy movement swap. Also, the black area on the pip is not centered. Pretty bummed about the whole experience. I am hoping the seller accepts it back without issue, as it was sold as new.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would save for a Sumo. In fact, I am doing that myself.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The sumo is a notch above the stargate in fit, finish, bracelet and movement. It's also twice the price.

I would save for the sumo unless the styling of the stargate speaks to you much more.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
While I agree that the Sumo is nice, the Stargate is definitely a great watch, well finished and well made. Close to the Sumo in terms of quality and even shape. Since it can be found for less then half it is also economically attractive. Main different is the movement and it is a little smaller too. Otherwise it is a great watch and definitely recommended.

Here is a shot of mine, I modded them lightly to improve their appearance to my taste, all gone now - sold to buy other watches... ;-)

If I was you I would get a Stargate, save some more, sell it and then buy a Sumo when you are ready and you are tired of the Stargate...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would save for the Sumo. It is a better watch and the one you've always wanted.

One thing is that with a nicer watch, people tend to be afraid to wear it all the time and end up getting a cheaper one for a beater. Although a nice watch is relative, that's just the way it is.

But I would still buy the Sumo first.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I have issues from each of your choices...

quartz...never think about it
Sumo...might be those hands..the recessive bezel..
Stargate..hands so I had mine converted

·
Registered
669 Posts
I havent handled the Stargate but ive had a brand new blue Sumo for less than 2 weeks. Ive sold it today. It did nothing for me,,, maybe because i have a few similiar watches and i knew it wouldnt get much wear. On the bright side, the money will go towards a 6105, which i know will get the wrist time it deserves.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Save for the Sumo.

I have had all 3 and in terms of wrist time, the BFK gets the most. It's a great beater watch that you can just pick up and go, built and looks like a tank, comes in handy in bar fights. :)

My blue Sumo comes in second and the black Stargate (on rubber strap) hardly gets any wrist time at all. Stargate was first to go, followed by the BFK. No intentions of selling the Sumo right now.

The rate for YEN has dropped and a Sumo can be bought brand new for around $470 (46000JPY). I recall some here complained that is was in the region of $550-600 a few months back due to the rate?? It might be a good time (or in the near future) to get what you "always wanted" before the YEN goes up again. :)

Here's some photos of the Sumo, just to make the decision tougher for you. :-d

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

I think I have decided on the White Stargate for the following reasons:

Was talking it over with my fiance and we were talking about how I really want a black Sumo but it's too much money for me to spend right now and she was saying the black Sumo sounds like a good gift for her to get me in the future, like X-mas or a wedding gift. Whatever she buy's me better be a keeper because it would break her heart if I sold a gift from her....
So with that in mind, there will be a black dialed diver in my collection someday, and a white dialed watch is always nice to have, I miss my White Knight, so the White Stargate seems like the right choice for now.

:)

now where should I buy it? Anyone got a discount code for me?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think I have decided on the White Stargate for the following reasons:

Was talking it over with my fiance and we were talking about how I really want a black Sumo but it's too much money for me to spend right now and she was saying the black Sumo sounds like a good gift for her to get me in the future, like X-mas or a wedding gift. Whatever she buy's me better be a keeper because it would break her heart if I sold a gift from her....
So with that in mind, there will be a black dialed diver in my collection someday, and a white dialed watch is always nice to have, I miss my White Knight, so the White Stargate seems like the right choice for now.

now where should I buy it?
Good choice! That Stargate in that pic might be for sale. ;-)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts