WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a very short time of lurking and posting at the Seiko forum of WUS, I have become enlightened and obsessed with Japanese watches, and how they can hold their own vs. the rest of the world. I would want to dub myself a Seikoholic, but then again I like Citizen, Orient and Casio too! In just a few weeks I have indulged in a few Japanese affordables, and planning on collecting more. The usual symptoms, you might say.

But on top of this, something unusual has happened: I have completely lost all interest and desire in all watches Swiss, Russian, German, etc. And, taking things to the extreme, I'm even considering a personal rule never to acquire another non-Japanese watch for the rest of my life! That said, is it still part of the usual symptoms, or should I talk to a shrink? Is anybody else out there who limits their current collection to just Japanese? Would be comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. :-s

In my lifetime, I can only earn and save a limited amount of funds for this hobby, I might as well focus all available resources to a specific category: Japanese.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I only collect seiko, casio, and I have one citizen. Im open to other brands as well but Japanese brands produce some of the best quality watches in the world. No justification needed when you purchase good ol seiko or g shock. For other luxury brands on the other hand it's getting harder to justify. No names, but why pay 5 thousand dollars for a timepiece with a 75 to 150 dollar movement? I have owned luxury brands and I'm eyeing a few now so I'm not hating on luxury brands at all but I'm trying to be a bit more wise with my purchases as I get older. Wrist presence equals money absence. Hahahahaha!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It really wasn't my goal, but just how it evolved. I think as you look for reasonably priced watches of good quality, the Japanese watches are great options. Although the MKII's have swiss movements, I learned of MKII through my interest in Seiko's.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
While I doubt I'll ever become a Japanese-only collector, I have to admit that it is the Seiko brand that interests me the most these days. I like their designs and the pricing is sensible. Outside of some Tissot and Hamilton models, I cannot find much to like at Swiss prices. Many of the boutique manufacturers used to offer good price/performance, but these days the vast majority seem to be moving towards more expensive models (Bernhardt and Bathys are honorable exceptions to that trend). If it keeps going the way it is, I'll probably end up buying mostly Seiko from now on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I fully agree with everyone else on this one. I have a DOXA Sub, which I love, but aside from that I am not excited about anything from the Swiss at the moment. Their pricing just seems out of line. You used to be able to get a really nice Omega in the 2500-3k mark, but these days all that I am pining for is a MM300.

As of these days, my collection consists of mainly Seiko, with a Tuna being added shortly. I wear one everyday, and have never been happier with what's on my wrist. There really is a thing of beauty to a 6309 on the wrist :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fully agree with everyone else on this one. I have a DOXA Sub, which I love, but aside from that I am not excited about anything from the Swiss at the moment. Their pricing just seems out of line. You used to be able to get a really nice Omega in the 2500-3k mark, but these days all that I am pining for is a MM300.

As of these days, my collection consists of mainly Seiko, with a Tuna being added shortly. I wear one everyday, and have never been happier with what's on my wrist. There really is a thing of beauty to a 6309 on the wrist :)
I'm in the same situation. I have a few Swiss pieces which I acquired before my "enlightenment." All have ETA movements. While they are all beautiful, well made and give some "wrist prestige", I'm bored by the fact that they have the same engine inside. Swiss in house is outrageously expensive so they will never be an option.

On the other hand, I find it delightful that all Japanese brands have their own movement manufacture. It's like opening a whole new universe. Even more delightful is the fact that a high end Japanese watch with a high end movement is in the same price range as some entry level Swiss with an ETA movement. Sorry for preaching to the choir; just venting my thoughts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Three Seiko divers here. Two vintage ones and a Black Monster. I'm considering a Vostok or maybe something with a Swiss movement in the future but these three Seiko's aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Funny how this thread got me, i'm experiencing the same thing with the TS too.. Lately nothing's on my mind except for vintage seikos (divers and speedtimers chrono), and yes i was at a point where i couldnt think of any swiss brands or other european brands for that matter, its scary when the seiko bug bit you.

Citizen and Orient are great too but i want to limit my collection to Seiko for now. Probably after my met my future vintage rolex gmt 1675.

Cheers

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have half a dozen Seiko JDM models and this morning got a quote on a Marine Master from Higuchi - I'm just about ready to pull that trigger and about the only thing holding me back is the thought of the duties and taxes (I will check the Bloor Street boutique ONE LAST TIME but I don't think they'll have anything of interest).

Rolex et al make a very nice watch, true, and there are certain styles where the Japanese offerings are not as attractive (GS dials are TOO PLAIN - and the SEIKO-GS-Grand Seiko-Automatic legend is far too wordy). But I can't shake the feeling I'd be paying for intangibles such as celebrity endorsements and (often BS) history if I went Swiss over $2500, frankly I think the big Swiss makers are laughing up their sleeves at the prices they can get away with. I once heard that wholesale is 50% - FIFTY PER CENT - of MSRP for Swiss watches, which doesn't strike me as totally unrealistic given the casual 20% discount one can negotiate in such purchases (I do browse). To me, a proud son of the working class, it just seems like a waste of money. And for what, to impress yokels? I impress strangers with my manners, appearance, and deeds; the watch I wear is for me alone.

Collecting Swiss watches is a rich man's hobby - it is very easy to spend many tens, or even hundreds, of thousands of dollars on these little mechanical curiosities, which have no function beyond telling the time, and limited resale value (NOT investments, one is a fool to invest in watches hoping for a return). In my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances, such behaviour would not be admired but rather the opposite. If your girl had $40K in handbags, or $100K in jewellery, would you think this was a good use of money? Or would you consider it a bit self-indulgent?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Strictly only Japanese watches - Seiko and Casio for the time being, but (quite) a few Citizens are definitely in my future. My grail is either a Seiko Ananta or a Casio Frogman.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I collect what I like and only what I know I will wear. Typically now only "bang-for-your-buck" watches. The best look and quality for a fair price. This by nature has lead me from Swiss, high end, Rolex, Brietling, etc. to Seiko, Citizen, Orient, and Chinese watches. I still have some of my better Swiss watches, but changed to mainly Asian for new purchases around 2001 when I joined my first Asian watch forum the SCWF. I love JDM Seiko, Citizen, and Orient. I have over 100 watches and most of the new ones are Seiko, Citizen and Chinese. My favorite brand is now Seiko. I also must confess that some of my Seikos are not inexpensive, but IMHO are still BFYB watches due to their incredible quality. Here are 2 of them>

·
Registered
47 Posts
My collection is about 85% from Japanese brands. My impression is that JDM watches are
assembled to much higher quality standards than most Swiss watches. Style can be weak with some Japanese watches, but there is usually something that I love in the Japanese domestic market.

My collection centers on radio/satelite controled watches. Hence, Citizen followed by Casio are the biggest percentage of my collection. The second group I own are high intrinsic accuracy watches mostly from Bulova with movements from Citizen. The Bulovas are a third of the price of my Omega Double Eagle and are more accurate. The only advantage the Omega has is a perpetual calendar. All of my radio controlled watches are more accurate than the Omega from a practical point of view and not only have a perpetual calendar, but also automaticall reset themselves for DST. Automatic switchover at DST change time is no small advantage when you own too many watches.

The short story is that the price to quality ratio is better with Japanese watches IMO. Innovation also seems to be a bit better with the Japanese brands with the occasional "innovation" that does not work as well as it should. When a Japanese brand misses the mark on innovation, the next generation of product usullt solves the problem.

Bill

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I agree. I don't spend what I used to.
Live and learn. This forum is the best.
The only Swiss watches I buy are from small German companies such
as Steinhart.
Otherwise, Seiko, Citizen and Seiko are the best.
For 500 euros you can get almost the equivalent of some name brand that is 10x more.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Style can be weak with some Japanese watches
This is highly subjective.

The short story is that the price to quality ratio is better with Japanese watches IMO. Innovation also seems to be a bit better with the Japanese brands with the occasional "innovation" that does not work as well as it should. When a Japanese brand misses the mark on innovation, the next generation of product usullt solves the problem.
Yes. As poywatch had also mentioned, Seiko is BFYB, from the Seiko 5 to the GS line. I love a watch where you see where your dollars go.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If there's one thing where the Swiss are better: it's in marketing and brand presence.

The presence of Swiss brands here in Manila is strong, and I mean REALLY STRONG. Thanks to a good AD who carries all the major Swiss brands. They were even able to secure real estate to almost a whole floor of a posh mall and line them up with individiual boutiques of JLC, IWC, Patek, Breitling, Panerai and AP. We're talking about a 3rd world country, folks. You can count the number of Panerai boutiques around the world with one hand, and one of them is in Manila!

And where is Seiko? You'll find them in dark corners of mixed-brand watch stores. On display are mostly 5's...a few divers. Forget about GS or Ananta, not a single piece sold here. The local AD is somehow afraid to bring them in. This is because in the past, they tried to bring in Kinetics, Velaturas and Sporturas, but they didn't sell. Same story with Orient, he's the quiet guy in a crowded room. Citizen? Even worse. Just a bunch of NOS everywhere; no Skyhawk.

My point is, it is normal then for the people here to aspire for Swiss and to be brainwashed that there is no good watch other than a Swiss watch. In fact, if you talk to an average non-WIS dude, he wouldn't even know that Seiko made watches over $200. Here, Seiko is perceived as a "people's watch."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts