WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think this is where the divergence between the watch buyer who will pay anything they can or are asked for a watch and those like myself who won't.

Taking you car example, in my business I was given a very generous car allowance. Some or the Guys spent the whole sum on leasing something expensive and some bought a run of the mill "fleet Car" and idiots like myself bought a good quality car, normally at auction, at rock bottom price and over three years old. I then ran it for two to sometimes five years and then sold it and grabbed another one. After the Tax Allowances and other things I made a small profit on my Company Car.

Taking the same example with a watch, I want something that looks good and tells me the time! That is it, period, I will change a battery or put a new strap on as needed, but in the end I have tons of watches that have look fine, work fine and tell me the time; date & day sometimes too reliably. 99% of the people I know, would not have a clue if my watch cost £7.99, £79, or £799. I have watches in the first two price ranges but not the third!

To take the car analogy a bit further, for years I ran around in a series of top end Ford Granada Saloons and Estate cars, leather seats and all the Bells & Whistles, my fellow workers could not believe that they cost me less to run than their leased entry level BMW Three Series. OK my fuel cost was a bit higher, but I had a nice 2.8L V6 automatic lump, but still I ended up quids in! In the Same way my idiot Brother In Law thinks my Invicta 8927 Pro Diver is a very expensive you know what!

So this in the end is all perception!

Best regards,
Jim
It is all perception, you're right. Lots of people I know think it's insane to spend £100 on a watch and yet they think nothing of spending upwards of £20-30k on a new car or £2000 on a cruise, which, to me really is insane. I don't have any desire for an expensive car. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate how amazing they are, it's just that I wouldn't buy one.

Nor would I 'pay anything' for a watch, although some of my friends would say a £400 Seiko Turtle falls into the category of crazy behaviour on my part.

Given the choice of a nice car or nice watch I'd choose the watch every time. Yes, the watch is just there to tell the time, the same as I would argue a car is just at tool to get me from A to B. I'm sure petrol heads would think me strange for having that perception :)

Ford Granada! You are showing your age now ;-)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think this is where the divergence between the watch buyer who will pay anything they can or are asked for a watch and those like myself who won't.

Taking you car example, in my business I was given a very generous car allowance. Some or the Guys spent the whole sum on leasing something expensive and some bought a run of the mill "fleet Car" and idiots like myself bought a good quality car, normally at auction, at rock bottom price and over three years old. I then ran it for two to sometimes five years and then sold it and grabbed another one. After the Tax Allowances and other things I made a small profit on my Company Car.

Taking the same example with a watch, I want something that looks good and tells me the time! That is it, period, I will change a battery or put a new strap on as needed, but in the end I have tons of watches that have look fine, work fine and tell me the time; date & day sometimes too reliably. 99% of the people I know, would not have a clue if my watch cost £7.99, £79, or £799. I have watches in the first two price ranges but not the third!

To take the car analogy a bit further, for years I ran around in a series of top end Ford Granada Saloons and Estate cars, leather seats and all the Bells & Whistles, my fellow workers could not believe that they cost me less to run than their leased entry level BMW Three Series. OK my fuel cost was a bit higher, but I had a nice 2.8L V6 automatic lump, but still I ended up quids in! In the Same way my idiot Brother In Law thinks my Invicta 8927 Pro Diver is a very expensive you know what!

So this in the end is all perception!

Best regards,
Jim
I think it's more than perception. It's differing values.

The values you look for in a watch are inexpensive and tells time. That's as far as you would like to spend on the hobby.

For another person, they value the extra finishing and detail, the movement, etc that comes with a luxury watch. They also value the name on the dial because these are also pieces of jewelry (whether you spend $100 or $10,000).

Those things that a luxury watch has have value to that buyer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think it's more than perception. It's differing values.

The values you look for in a watch are inexpensive and tells time. That's as far as you would like to spend on the hobby.

For another person, they value the extra finishing and detail, the movement, etc that comes with a luxury watch. They also value the name on the dial because these are also pieces of jewelry (whether you spend $100 or $10,000).

Those things that a luxury watch has have value to that buyer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's why I love this site. You make a point and ten people come along with a different perspective to make you rethink everything!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Part of why I personally moved up scale from affordables to mid-tier luxury watches is because my view of the "sanity" of putting a lot of money into a watch changed. I thought it was completely nuts to spend thousands on just a piece of wrist jewelry. Sure the time keeping, finishing, robustness, etc. might be better, but is it really that much better? But when I got bored with my Seikos and Watch Gecko watches I learned a valuable lesson - if you buy low (like really, really, screaming deal low) then you can wear the watch for some time and if you don't bang it to pieces you can actually re-sell it and get your money back. There used to be all kinds of screaming deals like that posted in the affordables forum before that thread died last Christmas. Well, if you have the cash to do it, you can do that with luxury watches too. It might be harder to find the screaming deals, but you can.

Here's my personal experience - four years ago I went to a gun and knife show to buy a gun, lots of cash in my pocket. A guy there was clearing out his gun collection, but also his wife's jewelry and a couple of Rolex watches. I picked up a Rolex Datejust two tone 1601 for about a third of the fair market value. I like the watch and I can wear it for two years or twenty years and still flip it and get back what I paid for it plus some. Is that then so stupid or insane to sink that kind of money into a watch? Or is your money simply tied up for some time while you enjoy a beautiful, desirable watch on your wrist? Two years ago I called this same guy up and worked out a deal to buy his other Rolex, a two tone Bluesy Submariner. That was extremely hard for me to do because now you're not talking hundreds, but thousands of dollars. Still the deal the guy wanted was well, well under market value (yes, they are both genuine Rolex watches). I bought the Sub and I absolutely fell in love. There's a reason why the Sub is so iconic, it's just a perfect fit for many people, including me. After that experience, buying other luxury watches and spending thousands has been easier for me, but ONLY if I am getting a smoking hot deal. It doesn't need to be Rolex (although that helps because of their excellent value retention). I've bought Montblanc, Bvlgari, Omega, and U-Boat watches for thousands, but well, well below retail, grey market, and fair market value. You need to have some disposable income to do this, but if you buy right it seems reasonable to me to have a luxury watch on your wrist that is holding its value just as well as it is to have an affordable watch on your wrist.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Silver
The Bluesy and Explorer 214270 are not pictured...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ford Granada! You are showing your age now ;-)
I assure you it is worse than that!:-! Over Time I had four of those cars, one estate and three saloons. All bar the estate were the top of the range Ghia Models, the estate was a Limited edition with Gold, ok gold painted Alloy Wheels, and a very 80's two tone brown paint job! See I am a man with style ;-)

Well I am sitting here wearing an Invicta 8927OB :roll:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Aqua

Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I just left a tire store after making an appointment for Thursday morning to put a set of studded winter tires on my truck. The price …… $922.60 for 4 here in Alaska. Expensive? Yes but then I've spent more on a watch and it won't keep me safe on these roads....
Just sold a car, like, half an hour ago this AM. And now I'm all:

Cartoon Nose Comics Forehead Line

I'm in Maine, swear by studded snow tires, just got a new car, and sale price of old beater will cover spare rims and studded tires.

But there's always watch wants that would total up to the same amount...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I assure you it is worse than that!:-! Over Time I had four of those cars, one estate and three saloons. All bar the estate were the top of the range Ghia Models, the estate was a Limited edition with Gold, ok gold painted Alloy Wheels, and a very 80's two tone brown paint job! See I am a man with style ;-)

Well I am sitting here wearing an Invicta 8927OB :roll:

Best regards,
Jim
My first car was a red MG Metro with a 1983 plate. I always wanted the defacto boy racer car of the time, the Fiesta XR2i. Happy days and it seems like such a long time ago now :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Since a young age I've been fascinated by time. My dad is as nerdy as I am and encouraged me by replacing every watch I broke/lost (1-2 a year?!); G-Shock, calculator watch, Indiglo, you get the idea.

Along with my wife, bargain hunting is considered sport in our household. Did you know that there's usually a pretty quick rout through Target or K-Mart where you hit all the clearance items in about 20 minutes? We buy seasonal / interesting items at 70 - 90% off, store in totes and shop from them for family birthdays & holiday gifts. As an old (not a Boomer, haha), I still prefer to buy things in the flesh, frequently using actual money.

For a long time I only spent $10, usually on a Timex Easy Reader; utility watch Nirvana. My wife has coaxed me into seeing the value in spending disposable income on jewelry/fashion/art that we like. Most comfortable in the <$400 range with an itchy trigger finger under $200: dinner out (which we generally reserve for vacations & special occasions) money.

With emotion a main driver, the tendency is to buy what I really enjoy and keep without regard to future value.

Tried on a Tank in Vegas earlier this year and am seriously considering one in the 1-5 year timeline. Have spousal buy in but don't really know if I'd ever be comfortable spending that much on a watch. Just bought a clearanced out Muldowney at the local outlet store and am in love. May have scratched the itch.

As a sentimental fool, heritage plays a roll in the two non-affordables I'm interested in; Cartier and Breguet. The Breguet new is so far out of my comfort zone it's considered unobtainable. Who knows what used/estate/pawn shop find awaits; never say never.

Otherwise, my menagerie makes me very happy and the desire to acquire is very low. Maybe a diver, I generally dislike divers but there are a few exceptions. Another hand wound would be welcome. Constant amusement is found in bracelet / strap changes further diminishing the desire to spend.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Tried on a Tank in Vegas earlier this year and am seriously considering one in the 1-5 year timeline. Have spousal buy in but don't really know if I'd ever be comfortable spending that much on a watch. Just bought a clearanced out Muldowney at the local outlet store and am in love. May have scratched the itch.

As a sentimental fool, heritage plays a roll in the two non-affordables I'm interested in; Cartier and Breguet. The Breguet new is so far out of my comfort zone it's considered unobtainable.
Funny you mention that. In a few weeks, if all goes well, I'll get a Cartier Tank. It's not been a short and easy road and I don't have spousal buy-in, so there's that.
A Type XXI Flyback Chronograph isn't a dreamwatch for me, but I'd be damned if it wouldn't be nice to have!

Reactions: devilsbite

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tend to think of my collection in 2 parts:
1) Long term pieces
2) things that scratch the itch or allow me to learn

The long term watches are more expensive (for my collection 650-750) and I don’t see getting rid of them anytime soon, and the itch pieces a little less (200-400)

From this, I’ve learned that there are these small things I just like better about the (slightly) more expensive watches that I don’t like about the less expensive ones - it’s typically less about specs and more about design and design maturity - articulation of a clear, thoughtful, and mature set of design choices that really come together - rather than a color by numbers version that looks great on Instagram but loses charm after a couple of months. But seeing the difference daily allows me to learn what I’m looking for and what I really value and what’s worth paying for.

For the scratch-itching pieces have 3 fates:
1) stay - a SKX009 on a strapcode presidential/endmill is all the Pepsi dial I’ll ever need.
2) go - there have a been a few watches I learned I just didn’t like the general style or I like the style, but never wear.
3) upgrade - I like it, I wear it. It passed the test. Now I want to go upmarket. And now I know what I’m looking for, why, and that I haven’t found what I was looking for at the prices I feel more comfortable with.

That said, the most expensive watch I’ve bought so far is $750, but I really want to bump up to $1500.

For me, I’m drooling all over Christopher Ward, Farer, and the Nomos without the in-house movements. And there’s other stuff, like some Alpina, Monta, Yema, the Oak & Oscar Olmstead, and some vintage Omega that I would really like to get my hands on.

And I can honestly say that there are only 2 watches well over 2 grand that have any strong appeal for me - pretty much any size appropriate Tudor BB and the Omega Seamaster 300.

I say this now that the $500-$1500 range is where I really want to be, but let’s check back in a year or 2 and see how that’s going....hahaha

181 - 191 of 191 Posts