WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

801 - 820 of 7258 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think Stowa needs to give some kind of kick-back to Lexus. His pictures are probably helping to sell quite a few watches..
Thank you, some.idiot. I have had lots of fun in taking photos of the watches I love and of course Stowa watches gave me lots of inspiration. I am really glad if the photos help to facilitate other watch lovers to make their decision somehow.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371907354.916146.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371907370.640550.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371907380.836393.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371907393.059494.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371907403.235161.jpg

Hello All, and a very happy weekend to the lot of yers.

Been off air for most of this week due to a few hiccups during my looooooong and haaaaaaaard business trip to Poland. Interwebby access via iPhone in the hotel wasn't quite what it could've been.

Ah well.

This 'ere is me newly acquired 1960s vintage Stowa Chronograph, what has inside a Swiss Landeron 248 chrono movement ticking its little heart out. I've seen the photos a few of these on the German forum, but it's the first one I've seen with the almost sterile silver dial. There's a fuzzy pickie of chrono on the Museum link on the Dtowa website, so maybe it's one of those? Dunno if the (almost) sterile dial makes it an early one, or a late one, or a daft version that Stowa experimented with but couldn't sell for love nor money.

I'm completely smitten, obviously.

The chrono function works properly, and it seems to be keeping proper time, and the overall condition ain't too bad. Dial, hands and crystal're in good nick, as are the chrono buttons and case back. But yer can see that the gold plate's a tad thin here and there, and a tad missing there and here.

Gonna live with it for a while, and then see if I can find a place to get it properly stripped down and replated. Probably. Or maybe leave it exactly as it is, claiming "patina" or "original condition" or some such nonsense.

Have a cracking day.

Ric

·
Registered
77 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372362317.717174.jpg
Received yesterday my flieger logo no date. It was shipped with the standard crown instead of the onion crown I ordered. Kudos to Stowa who offered to make it right by paying the freight both ways. However the watch is within less than 1sec in 24 hours. I'm afraid to put it in the mail and mess up a good thing!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
View attachment 1136798
Received yesterday my flieger logo no date. It was shipped with the standard crown instead of the onion crown I ordered. Kudos to Stowa who offered to make it right by paying the freight both ways. However the watch is within less than 1sec in 24 hours. I'm afraid to put it in the mail and mess up a good thing!!
Beautiful watch but I would definitely send it back for the onion crown. Hopefully it maintains the 1 sec per day.

·
Registered
162 Posts
View attachment 1136798
Congratulations! It's not a COSC, right? Mine runs +5 seconds/day. I hope yours comes back keeping the same time!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations! It's not a COSC, right? Mine runs +5 seconds/day. I hope yours comes back keeping the same time!
No just the standard 2824.2. It is now +2 seconds after 72 hours. I am pleased.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372832980.206710.jpg

Good morning fellow watchonauts.

Being a slave to novelty, today I decided on the recently arrived Stowa Landeron 248. This is a nice looking thing, more or less the same size of the vintage Strela 3017, and the Swiss Landeron 248 chronograph movement's working perfectly. The time-keeping's within a few seconds a day, so for once I think we can believe that the Ebay seller (a bloke in Vienna, Austria) really *did* recently have the watch serviced.

Good on him.

Photos today are decidedly non-macro because to be honest the patchy gold plating looks worse to the camera lens than it does to the eye which is far too busy being captivated by the mother of pearl effect of the silver dial combined with the steam-boat chrono buttons. Shall have to do summat about the replating one day. One wonders if Stowa themselves might wanna help? If not, I live in the land of watches and cuckoo clocks so I'm not short of local resources to take on the task.

The other thing is that this is the first vintage watch I've received that I've kept on the same (used) leather strap that it arrived on. I'm a bit squeamish about other people's old straps, but this one's a beauty. Like a pair of properly broken in leather hiking boots, it has it's own "loved to bits" quality. Keeping it on, so there.

Ric

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
^lovely!

801 - 820 of 7258 Posts