WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,054 Posts
I believe Junghans now offers sapphire as a factory option. This is a complete about-face for the brand. I contacted them a couple of years back about this and they all but laughed at me - in a very germanic way - for even suggesting they might consider such a pivot.
In practical terms, it makes sense for them to offer sapphire. My first two Apple Watches both had sapphire displays and they stayed more scratch-free than my current Gorilla-glass-display model (caveat, though: they all have water- and oil-shedding oleophobic coatings).

Junghans is on my shortlist for now, and I'd still prefer acrylic. My question is, if the coating starts to get flaky, can it be removed? We've seen people remove AR coatings from sapphire crystals around here because they got tired of scratches and blemishes, so I'd hope that the same is doable with Junghans's coated acrylic.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
In practical terms, it makes sense for them to offer sapphire. My first two Apple Watches both had sapphire displays and they stayed more scratch-free than my current Gorilla-glass-display model (caveat, though: they all have water- and oil-shedding oleophobic coatings).

Junghans is on my shortlist for now, and I'd still prefer acrylic. My question is, if the coating starts to get flaky, can it be removed? We've seen people remove AR coatings from sapphire crystals around here because they got tired of scratches and blemishes, so I'd hope that the same is doable with Junghans's coated acrylic.
There's a thread on here where a guy tried to polish off the SICRALAN coating on his Junghans and ruined the crystal. In the end, he had to have it replaced.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have Hesalite on my Speedmaster, but my other watches are all sapphire. Not really because I go looking for sapphire, but most decent watches in the last 15 years have been sapphire.

I agree that plastic crystals can have a certain warm charm to them. But I've seen some really nice sapphire shapes that bend light so beautifully. Here's one example.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,054 Posts
There's a thread on here where a guy tried to polish off the SICRALAN coating on his Junghans and ruined the crystal. In the end, he had to have it replaced.
Thanks for the tip about Sicralan. I used it for a search and got a couple good hits. It actually reminds me of a coating that my glasses used to have, which inexplicably started to haze and then flake off (nobody told me they had a coating, and they didn't have that AR-like blue hue) — and they've been pristine ever since.

That second thread led to this:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Mineral can look nice too...
DSC_0496.jpg

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like acrylic in certain watches and the fact scratches are removable, sapphire is not a must and hardlex is good enough, it's just regular mineral crystal (if you can call it that) I don't like.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
45 years ( well in one month ) and still like new !!,, yes it gets ' PollyWatch'd ' every 5-10 years but as has already been said , there is something about ' Plastic ' that I don't get with my Sapphire and Mineral crystal watches ,,,

Beanerds

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Here
45 years ( well in one month ) and still like new !!,, yes it gets ' PollyWatch'd ' every 5-10 years but as has already been said , there is something about ' Plastic ' that I don't get with my Sapphire and Mineral crystal watches ,,,
View attachment 15560780
Beanerds
View attachment 15560780
Beanerds
here is another taken 5 minutes ago .

Beanerds.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
I have a Casio watch with sort of resin/plastic crystal. Lot of scratches as you might expect, but the crystal did the job well.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
It's a much less practical choice, but visually it does look better than sapphire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own several watches with sapphire. I’m not knocking it, but with the scratch resistance gained I think there’s something lost. It’s kind of silly to describe things that are clear as cold and warm, but that’s sort of the way those two things seem. Sapphire crystals seem pretty much sterile regardless of whether dead flat, boxed, or domed in both appearance and to the touch.

Plastic crystals have a particular clarity to them and an old school look. They feel different to the touch as if they make you want to touch them. Wonderfully domed designs are both possible and reasonably cheap to produce, but even the flatter ones just look better to me. AR coatings are unnecessary and there’s still better clarity and less reflection.

I realize some people freak out at the thought of a crystal scratching, but it’s really nothing at all to worry about. For normal use it takes many years of scratches before legibility or aesthetics are affected and this is usually around the service interval of a mechanical watch anyway. Should it be of any concern between servicings, just a bit of polishing skills will have it looking as new in short order.

Nice watches, what's the brand and name of the third one? :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I also love the look of acrylic/plexiglass on retro-inspired or vintage watches. It really does look different from sapphire. It looks warmer, has nicer distortions, doesn't show fingerprints, feels different to the touch, and can be more dramatically domed. I think it is really more attractive than sapphire in every way except scratch resistance.

Personally I only think it is unpractical if you are the type of person who feels like they need to buff out every little scratch. If you can let go and take a more wabi-sabi approach I find sapphire and plexiglass both fine for every day use.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nice watches, what's the brand and name of the third one? :)
It’s a Sturmanskie with the 31659 movement which is a hacking version of the Poljot 3133 which was formerly the Valjoux 7734. They were only issued to Soviet and later Russian military pilots.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Personally I only think it is unpractical if you are the type of person who feels like they need to buff out every little scratch. If you can let go and take a more wabi-sabi approach I find sapphire and plexiglass both fine for every day use.
I agree. Scratches are unavoidable and it’s best to just live with them, but really it’s no different than getting scratches on the case or bracelet. The only difference is a watch that sees hard use may get enough to start affecting legibility at some point prior to servicing and may need a sanding and buffing. It’s not that difficult to do.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts