WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Skeleton watches are

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see more and more of these, so there certainly must be a significant number of folks who desire these. To me, it seems to take a watch that has potential to be handsome and turns it into a carnival trick.

To be more specific, if it's a skeleton or open heart just for the sake of being a skeleton watch, I find these ugly.

Although, in that vein, I must admit there are exceptions when the skeletonized format actually serves a purpose in the design and isn't just a 'deconstructed' look thrown together. An example of this would be the Jacob and Co. Astronomia. Though I wouldn't (& couldn't anyway $$$$) wear one, I would certainly covet and stare it all the time, lol. Tourbillons are neat too, but I haven't seen one in person as some photograph totally different and look like crap in photos but stunning in person, so can't comment on those, but having a 'theme' to show this off is also OK in my book.

Curious if I am alone in this loathing of themeless skeleton and open heart watches.

·
Registered
39,207 Posts
Skeleton I find hard to read, open heart are mostly meehhhh but sometimes beautiful, depending on who is doing it and what the heart looks like.

Reactions: sixtysix and KM_AB

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Depends on the watch, and depends on the wearer. Sometimes a geeky flex, and sometimes a celebration of the watchmakers' art. Not for me, either way.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Dive watches are definitely trendy… ;).

·
Premium Member
42,616 Posts
IMHO, if they are not over the top, I like them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The hit to legibility and functionality outweighs any aesthetic benefit in my opinion. To each their own.

Reactions: sam08861

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'm going with "if done right" looks good. I've seen a few that initially were "ehhh" . but as i kept seeing them, grew on me:giggle:. open heart, not so much!

·
Premium Member
11,056 Posts
Cap Organism Gesture Hat Art

·
Registered
139 Posts
I second Zenith Defy 21

·
Registered
139 Posts
Watch Analog watch Light Product Font

·
Registered
426 Posts
Whilst skeleton dials are not for me, I do like a clear case backs.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy a properly executed open-heart or skeleton movement. Manual winds only. It was what sparked my interest in traditional watches in the first place. Sitting next to a co-worker, I could hear his watch ticking, I could see the little machine working, I was hooked. So, if well made, absolutely.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts