WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Skeleton watches are

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
None of the choices. I think they are ok if done well, but an open heart rarely improves the watch. Display case back by all means.

·
Premium Member
11,594 Posts
For me, Skeleton watches done correctly are far and few. So, it is Beautiful if done right and only a few good examples of this for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don’t like full skeleton as they are usually hard to read and I don’t like busy dials.
But I do like open heart just showing the balance wheel.
I have a JDM seiko like this that I love.
It’s my favourite watch in my collection.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't like skeleton, I don't like tourbillon. There are some "degradé" dials that might be nice, but full skeletons are mostly ugly and a PITA to read.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not really my thing. I own one skeleton and one open heart, both gifts and both get rotation time. I do like a glass back though.

Tourbillon is the exception. A pointless complication that would be even more pointless if you couldn't see it. I suspect I'll purchase a Chinese example before the year is out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only when done in moderation and in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
Should not be too busy to detract from one's ability to easily differentiate the hands from the background and read the time.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
I've never owned a skeleton. I'm not against owning one. Just never materialized I guess. Good chance I'll try this one out soon. NH72 ruthemium plated movement.

Watch Analog watch Black Font Clock

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I see more and more of these, so there certainly must be a significant number of folks who desire these. To me, it seems to take a watch that has potential to be handsome and turns it into a carnival trick.

To be more specific, if it's a skeleton or open heart just for the sake of being a skeleton watch, I find these ugly.

Although, in that vein, I must admit there are exceptions when the skeletonized format actually serves a purpose in the design and isn't just a 'deconstructed' look thrown together. An example of this would be the Jacob and Co. Astronomia. Though I wouldn't (& couldn't anyway $$$$) wear one, I would certainly covet and stare it all the time, lol. Tourbillons are neat too, but I haven't seen one in person as some photograph totally different and look like crap in photos but stunning in person, so can't comment on those, but having a 'theme' to show this off is also OK in my book.

Curious if I am alone in this loathing of themeless skeleton and open heart watches.
Can’t stand them myself. The only one I’ve ever found that did a good execution on them was RGM…

But then you’re paying about $12k minimum for a watch. His best one runs about $98k.

And they really are to die for…

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think there was a time when I liked them and thought they made a watch look pretty classy. But I can't say that I like them at all anymore.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
The single thing that will absolutely keep me from buying a watch.

Oh, and cables on a watch. What is that crap?!

Reactions: sam08861

·
Registered
448 Posts
Rado does a good one. Very readable, but you can also see the movement.

I recently grabbed this off of eBay to see how it would work with black hands. I thought the contrast might result in a skeleton watch that was easy to read. I was actually rather surprised how readable it was out of the bo... envelope, but it broke before I could do the hand swap. Which is a shame - you could really see the escapement working. It was really interesting.

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

21 - 40 of 80 Posts