Skeleton watches are

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I see more and more of these, so there certainly must be a significant number of folks who desire these. To me, it seems to take a watch that has potential to be handsome and turns it into a carnival trick.

To be more specific, if it's a skeleton or open heart just for the sake of being a skeleton watch, I find these ugly.

Although, in that vein, I must admit there are exceptions when the skeletonized format actually serves a purpose in the design and isn't just a 'deconstructed' look thrown together. An example of this would be the Jacob and Co. Astronomia. Though I wouldn't (& couldn't anyway $$$$) wear one, I would certainly covet and stare it all the time, lol. Tourbillons are neat too, but I haven't seen one in person as some photograph totally different and look like crap in photos but stunning in person, so can't comment on those, but having a 'theme' to show this off is also OK in my book.

Curious if I am alone in this loathing of themeless skeleton and open heart watches.
No. ur not.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think trendy was a swing and a miss. I'm not a fan of full skeleton dials but some open hearts will catch my eye from time to time. Although, I will admit that many open hearts appear to be a last minute design decision. "Eh screw it let's just cut a random hole in the dial."

I have one open heart watch and as much as I love it, I don't have much interest in having more than one in my watch box.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the idea of a skeleton watch but haven't found one to pull the trigger on yet in my price range. Some examples of ones I think are on the right track. Take care.

Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Gadget Alloy wheel

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cool, but way too busy for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There always seems to be so much going on with a skeleton watch that the hands seem to get lost. Besides, I have not really seen one I care for. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
To me, any watch that shows any of its insides on the dial side for no reason is the watch equivalent of "I'm a liberated, don't -give-a puck, wild & crazy" tats on a woman, or on a man who does not live a life that requires a commitment to, or a willingness and ability to deliver and/or withstand massive amounts of pain / violence.

In short, an abomination on a weak thing that screams "Look at me, I'm different!!!"

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love a well executed skeleton, and they tend to show up much better in person than in photos. It's a little mechanical sculpture, and if properly done possesses a sense of airiness and grace that is just beautiful.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
In short, an abomination on a weak thing that screams "Look at me, I'm different!!!"
I wouldn’t call a movement an abomination and let’s face it, lots of people wear watches for the “look at me” factor. Personally, I like the idea of having at least one skel in the collection. Yes it would be different from my other watches but that’s good. I don’t want all my watches to look the same.

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
I wouldn’t call a movement an abomination and let’s face it, lots of people wear watches for the “look at me” factor. Personally, I like the idea of having at least one skel in the collection. Yes it would be different from my other watches but that’s good. I don’t want all my watches to look the same.
Sure, people like to peacock, each in their own way, no prob.
I was referring only to the watch, not the people who wear such watches.
More specifically, I was referring to the impulse (or sensibility) behind the decision to design a watch that way.

I find the ill-matched effect to be "abominable" (Exaggerated word for effect) for the same reason that I stated, in comparing it to people who are ill-suited to tats getting them, either to be trendy, or bcz they are just thoughtless.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts