WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the first thing that strikes me when I look at that watch, and I can't overcome that fact knowing that it's got an advanced movement in it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Looks like a serious tool watch to me. Not meant to be a looker per se. Roba has a sleeker version of this watch that looks quite nice, IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tool

Flogging spanners are ugly but they do what they're supposed to do.

As Bruce said I have a sleeker version:

But this one os more "modal2 in its operation. Everything is controlled from the crown which means that switching between functions can be a bit fiddly. Once a function has been selected then it's fine. The X-33 (probably named after an experimental NASA lifting body:

has more buttons - they make it ugly but easier to use.

Tool.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it's an EXELLENT watch. As a matter of fact I'd love to have one.

But it's not a looker, imho. :)

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Well, I don't think the X-33 is ugly but certainly it is not my cup of tea...
Analog-digital and elegant? Hmm... that has to be this beauty from Longines:
(photo is taken from the net)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I think it is a superb looking watch. And if it had a real-world water resistance rating - 200m for example - I would have bought one long ago.:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
You nailed it again Roba

I have the X-33 for casual wear or night-time or for athletic events.

To me it looks good in the way any well-designed tool just looks right.

But when I need all those alarms, timers, second time-zones etc in a smart or dressy watch, I have that same model Seamaster multifunction.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Re: You nailed it again Roba

That mesh looks great on that watch! :-!
Yes, indeed! I had a Schaffhausen with similar mesh bracelet. The best bracelet I've ever had - it perfectly takes up the shape of your wrist.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The Omega 120MF is no longer manufactured. You can find a NOS one from time to time. I got mine from a dealer in Japan and he has had a few more since then. There have also been a few used ones, but I have seen more new than used lately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it's an EXELLENT watch. As a matter of fact I'd love to have one.

But it's not a looker, imho. :)
Ofcourse the X33 is a looker as well. I have owned a lot of Omega's and Rolex'es nothing beats an X33 in looks or functionality. Have a question but. Do all X33's have the built for space missions engraved on their back?
regards
Shubhanker

·
Registered
668 Posts
Guess this ia another proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Impressive tool watch and I almost bought one. Then I saw it "in the flesh"; not pretty, to my eyes. Bought a Breitling Aerospace Avantage instead.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Define "Terribly"

Admittedly, the X-33 has a few things going against it. To the public eye, it's quartz innards say it's cheap. To most WIS, it's quartz innards say it doesn't have the soul of a mechanical watch. To a potential customer, it's $3k+ suggested retail price is very unappealing.

Cosmetically, it pales compared to it's older sibling, The Moon Watch. It's backlight particularly reminds me of Timex Indiglo.

And yet, I wouldn't call it ugly. Performancewise, it's a thing of beauty. Even with four pushbuttons and an interactive crown, the X-33 is not difficult to work and doesn't require frequent reference checks to the user manual.

It's appearance, although not pretty, is not repulsive. It has simple, good looks, like the girl next door rather than the Playmate of the Month.

Summarizing, it's multifunction instrument that performs well with a comparatively plain appearance.

It is not "terribly ugly."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts