WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Is there any watchbrand out there that also uses the El Primero movement in a normal looking watch? I mean not the blingbling watches that Zenith is offering now.

And was there ever a Zenith El Primero movement where the date window didn't interfere with the minute ring?

If anybody has picture to show me... yes please! ;-)

Greetings,
Frank

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
El Primero QP

I'm not sure if this is too much "Bling" but the date doesn't interfere with the minute counter. I don't feel it really interfere's in this one either... but you might....

Cheers!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,185 Posts
Point 1: Daniel Roth, Dunhill, Rolex (their own downgraded version), Ebel, Movado, Waldan International in the past, currently probably only TAG Heuer and anyone using up their old stocks of this movement while they had access to it (- and that's probably not a complete list...)

Point 2: It all depends on case size. Since the movement doesn't get any smaller, you have to make the case bigger and in the past, the current fashion for huge watches was disdained. Try the current Grande Class El Primero - or any version with large date in place of the 12 hour totalizer (or the EP perpetual calender, or the EP Open with retrograde date display....)

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
49 Posts
Point 1: Daniel Roth, Dunhill, Rolex (their own downgraded version), Ebel, Movado, Waldan International in the past, currently probably only TAG Heuer and anyone using up their old stocks of this movement while they had access to it (- and that's probably not a complete list...)
And you can add:

Panerai (OP IV, based on El Primero 400)
Fleurier Parmigiani (I think the only manufacturer who can still get movements from Zenith).

Best regards,

·
18,185 Posts
Oh well, I knew I'd missed some! Don't think that Parmigiani Fleurier still have access nowadays, though - AFAIK only LVMH group members get the movement now (hence TAG Heuer). Maybe PF are using up old stocks.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Frank,

As Hartmut has mentioned, the large date Zeniths may be of interest.

Here is my latest one. Although you will notice that it has the ability to time things only to the nearest second as there are no sub-second markings around the outside of the dial. Overall though I think it is quite understated especially when compared to the other newer Zenith EP designs.

This was not a problem to me when I got it as on this occasion it was the 'look' I was after rather than the functionality.

·
18,185 Posts
Yes, the Concord Impresario also has an EP. There are also some Kurt Schaffo watches in German watch magazines that I would swear have EP movements (KS is better known for skeletizing movements - maybe since he skeletizes the EP for Zenith, he gets to use the movement as well).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ooooooo, I really like that El Primero QP! Not familiar with that watch and haven't seen a picture or any reference to one before. That gold flyback is also quite beautiful.

·
18,185 Posts
The QP module was developed by Dubois Depraz in the early eighties for Ebel when they were getting and using the EP (thus helping to revive it). There is a picture of an Ebel EP QP in Brunner/Pfeiffer-Belli's book.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have a Concord Impresario chrono. I believe they're discontinued since Concord can't get the movements any longer, but can be had if you shop around. I liked the smaller size (38mm), yet chunky case and bracelet, and the surprisingly legible dial (in spite of the silver hands on silver dial). Also the movement decoration was better than on many Zenith's I'd seen.

Attachments

·
18,185 Posts
I think that noone gets the movement these days except Zenith and the LVMH subsidiaries. That would be TAG Heuer, Louis Vuitton and Dior. The rest may have old stock which they are using up or you will only find vintage (or NOS watches). I did see a recent advert in a German watch magazine with Kurt Schaffo watches with a chronograph which I could swear has an El Primero movement, but that could well also be a case of NOS movements (see earlier post).

Hartmut Richter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts