Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 24 43.6%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so impressed when i saw the demonstration on this watch, really think it is going to change what Omega is putting in their pieces across the line....again. But I am okay with that. It is a simple idea, but a good one to protect a watch from magnetism in that manner. The fact that they chose an Aqua Terra for the first model to have this movement makes me want it all the more! How about you guys? If you arent familiar about this one I blogged about it in depth here:
Omega aqua terra 15000 gauss | How to be Swell

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I have a modern Milgauss which is an homage to the original Milgauss, so I don't need another Milgauss homage.

When Omega uses their new technology in a watch that's not an obvious attempt to mimic another brand, then I will definitely be interested.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
I have a modern Milgauss which is an homage to the original Milgauss, so I don't need another Milgauss homage.

When Omega uses their new technology in a watch that's not an obvious attempt to mimic another brand, then I will definitely be interested.

Other than the PCL and preventing magnetism, I don't see what your talking about here.. 2 very different watches visually.
On top of that, the Omega is way more resistant to magnetic fields. I don't think its a homage at all. More of an evolutionary step that Rolex and other brands should consider.

Chibatastic

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Hey, it might not even be enough to get through the MRI: Wikipedia tells us that some of these machines crank up to 70,000 gauss!

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I do want one! It would be the perfect watch for me. I have to remember to remove my watch each time I go in the lab...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

Other than the PCL and preventing magnetism, I don't see what your talking about here.. 2 very different watches visually.
On top of that, the Omega is way more resistant to magnetic fields. I don't think its a homage at all. More of an evolutionary step that Rolex and other brands should consider.
I'm not using the word homage to mean 'replica' as is often incorrectly used on WUS, but rather the traditional meaning. However I'd acknowledge that 'homage' is not the best word as I doubt Omega's intent is to show respect, but rather openly compete.

Ignoring some of the more subtle similarities, the flashiness of the seconds hand is obviously an intentional similarity, as is the text of the name. I also think the actual name 15000GAUSS is intended to relate specifically to the MILGAUSS, especially considering watches are not typically measured in Gauss (other than the Milgauss).

I agree that Omega has made a huge evolutionary step, and it makes sense they'd actively market it, but I just don't want a watch that is saying "Hey, look at me, I'm better than Rolex".

·
Registered
257 Posts
As en electrical engineer working the power transmission field both in factory and in the field, I "see" strong magnetic fields on a daily basis. Although it was a few years ago since I measured the actual field that my watches (and myself) are exposed to, I know that it's more than enough to cause watches to start acting up. Unfortunately, magnetic fields doesn't care if the watch is cheap or really expensive... So, I asked the local boutique to hold the first one they get in (october?) and we'll see, maybe it is lucky enough to be mine.

Honestly, the Millgauss is one of my grails, but, other watches kind of got in the way. But, one day, I'll have the white faced one on my wrist and I'll be a happy camper. In the meantime, I'm just using the Ball watches and the Hamilton's that are rated "anti-magnetic" out in the field although their protection is nowhere near the 1kG or the AT.

So, I'll be following the thread with great interest, because, I really need (want) one and I was really excited when I first saw the press release from Omega.

May the force be with y'all!

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
I'm not using the word homage to mean 'replica' as is often incorrectly used on WUS, but rather the traditional meaning. However I'd acknowledge that 'homage' is not the best word as I doubt Omega's intent is to show respect, but rather openly compete.

Ignoring some of the more subtle similarities, the flashiness of the seconds hand is obviously an intentional similarity, as is the text of the name. I also think the actual name 15000GAUSS is intended to relate specifically to the MILGAUSS, especially considering watches are not typically measured in Gauss (other than the Milgauss).

I agree that Omega has made a huge evolutionary step, and it makes sense they'd actively market it, but I just don't want a watch that is saying "Hey, look at me, I'm better than Rolex".
Cedagrove, I understand you didn't mean replica but you used the word "mimic" in your first post and you continue to draw parallels in the designs of both watches.

As for the second hand, I have never seen anything like this on any watch. It looks nothing like the lightning bolt on the Milgauss. Are you saying because it's completely unique compared to every other omega / Rolex second hand that it's mimicking the Rolex with it's flashiness? I just don't get that.

Now Omega putting "15000 Gauss on the dial may seem pretentious to some I suppose but think of it this way. This is a landmark breakthrough in watch technology and marks the first of it's kind. As far as the timepiece being "better" thats completely subjective unless of course your just comparing 1000 Mil-gauss to 15000 gauss on the Omega..

Perhaps I understand where your coming from spending all that $$ on the Milgauss and seeing technical progress at this exponential level. I'm sure Rolex and the rest will follow suit eventually. That's progress!

In my humble opinion Omega has clearly made this piece their own.
It's going to be hard to resist such a cool timepiece!

Chibatastic

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
I voted "Not interested" only because I would not get that particular watch. I am, however, very interested in the technology.

Would rather wait until this movement is put to use in other models. I would very seriously consider it then. I must see one in person, but I am not a big fan of that "bumble bee" second hand. As far as unique hands go, I do prefer the hand on the Milgauss. Personally, I don't really see the need for any special hand at all. The watch would be great with just a regular second hand.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
92 Posts
newbie question,
does any one know what Gauss does current AT(with or without Si14 spring) ?
just wondering how easy(or hard) can a watch get magnetize for people who use cell phone and computer everyday?
is an eta 2824-2 elabore good enogh to resist from cell phone and computer?
sorry its off the topic

Who else wants one?: Aqua Terra 15000 Gauss
The movement only, current AT looks better

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Cedagrove, I understand you didn't mean replica but you used the word "mimic" in your first post and you continue to draw parallels in the designs of both watches.

As for the second hand, I have never seen anything like this on any watch. It looks nothing like the lightning bolt on the Milgauss. Are you saying because it's completely unique compared to every other omega / Rolex second hand that it's mimicking the Rolex with it's flashiness? I just don't get that.

Now Omega putting "15000 Gauss on the dial may seem pretentious to some I suppose but think of it this way. This is a landmark breakthrough in watch technology and marks the first of it's kind. As far as the timepiece being "better" thats completely subjective unless of course your just comparing 1000 Mil-gauss to 15000 gauss on the Omega..
I guess we disagree on what I believe are intentional similarities.

I understand where your coming from spending all that $$ on the Milgauss and seeing technical progress at this exponential level. I'm sure Rolex and the rest will follow suit eventually. That's progress!
This isn't the case for me. I like Omega, and am excited about their advancements in technology. I recently bought a PO Ti but considered holding off see if they were going release any other models with their anti-magnetic technology (glad I didn't because I love my PO). I will certainly consider other Omega models with this technology in the future, but never to replace my Milgauss.

I'd have preferred it if Omega just made this watch "their own" and didn't take styling cues from Rolex - it's a little lame, and dampens their achievement.

And frankly I hope Rolex doesn't follow suit, it's not their style. They quietly (albeit slowly) make incremental improvements, but to me this indicates a level of confidence. In fact the Milgauss is considerably more resistant than 1000 Gauss (but not 15,000 gauss) but as is typical for Rolex, they are very conservative in their ratings.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again....Why o-why isn't that a Railmaster?
Even the yellow/black striped second hand looks like a railway crossing boom gate.

Railmaster.

I'll shuddup now.

:D
I agree whole-heartedly! the Railmaster line has historically been Omega's antimagnetic line. Why call it a Seamaster? It's like IWC doing away with the anti-magnetic Ingeniuer and coming out with an anti-magnetic Portofino.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm a big (almost fanatic) fan of Japanese watches and as many of you probably know i get crosseyed and breathing quickly every time i see a GrandSeiko.
But there is just one another watchmaker that does a similar thing and that's Omega. In fact this is the only Swiss watchmaker that i really like. The Seamaster AquaTerra is a beautiful watch and i especially like it because of it's radical Co-Axial escapement and its anti magnetic properties. Like they say in the PR videos, they didn't try to protect the hairsprings externally, they instead approached the problem at its core, replacing magnetically affected components with non magnetic components.

Now i just have to win the lottery or get a properly better job so i'll be able to one day afford Seamaster and the GrandSeiko. Someday...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts