WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 3572.50 hesalite sandwich with luminova dial in pristine shape currently. I can't help but feel like I want a tritium dialed steel case back model in user condition to use as more of a beater that shows it's age more (patina on the hands and indices, faded dial, scratched up case, etc). 3570.50s and 145.022s pop up periodically for really affordable prices and it has me thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Anyone own two and find it to be a good fit for their collection?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I don't own two, I own three:
  1. 3750.50 - got it in 2000 after waiting for almost 30 years
  2. 3572.50 Mitsukoshi Conversion - couldn't find (or afford) the real deal
  3. 311.32.40.30.01 FOIS - because I can
141212_Speedmaster_Pro_x3_4m.jpg

No way I can justify these, but hey, I can spend my play money however I want. And am struggling not to add #4

Kidding aside, I get your thinking; I followed similar paths. Just do it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I had 3 for a while. I sold the new 311 with fancy kit, and now I have a 3570 as well as the 3573 Sapphire Sandwhich. Both different watches IMO. I don't worry as much with the 3573 being sapphire, and it does give off a dressier vibe on leather. I keep the 3573 on leather and 3570 on the bracelet. Both offer unique pleasures. The dial and hesalite on the 3570 and the beautiful movement on the 3573. Plus, it's my favorite watch so I justified both😄.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here scooby. It's my favorite watch ever made by a pretty wide margin so having only one just seems silly.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have my 3572 which I absolutely love. And I went with it because I needed the clean non faded look for work/dressy reasons.

But I've always felt that the best looking and most interesting looking speedies are those bathed in patina. Those beautiful yellow tritium markers. So while I have one, I pine for a 3592 or a 69' pre moon.

While we're at it I'd want a panda as well.

So in my mind field of a brain, I can justify multiple speedies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
No luxury watch is "justified". It's silly to buy luxury watches. If you are being financially prudent you should buy a quartz watch at a pharmacy.

That being said, if you want two speedies, and you can afford two speedies, then by all means get two.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I have a 3572.50 hesalite sandwich with luminova dial in pristine shape currently. I can't help but feel like I want a tritium dialed steel case back model in user condition to use as more of a beater that shows it's age more (patina on the hands and indices, faded dial, scratched up case, etc). 3570.50s and 145.022s pop up periodically for really affordable prices and it has me thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Anyone own two and find it to be a good fit for their collection?
Buy as many as you want. It sounds like you'll get a different look, and different uses out of them. Swapping one watch for another is faster than changing the bracelet to a leather strap too.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I currently do not own any but I know if I did I couldn't stop at one. I'd probably start fiddling with the first one, like do the Mitsukoshi mod then I'd want the stock one again and thus buy a second one only to probably mod it into the Gemini IV which would bring me full circle in wanting a stock one again. I could realistically seeing me with 3 of them. Now practically and what my wife will allow is entirely different story.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have 2 right now (but still, no standard Speedmaster pro still) and have had a few. Speedmaster pro is still my all time favorite watch and I am surely buying more. Gemini 4, Apollo 1 35th and maybe Apollo-Soyuz "meteorite" are on my "someday" list.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I currently do not own any but I know if I did I couldn't stop at one. I'd probably start fiddling with the first one, like do the Mitsukoshi mod then I'd want the stock one again and thus buy a second one only to probably mod it into the Gemini IV which would bring me full circle in wanting a stock one again. I could realistically seeing me with 3 of them. Now practically and what my wife will allow is entirely different story.
:-d that is me and I've done exactly what you describe ...........plus a bit more :-d

There is just something about Speedmasters..........

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Buying anything nice can always be easily justified.
Just say to yourself, 'If I don't treat me, who will?' ;-)
Of course, if you are lucky enough to have a wife/girlfriend who does treat you often,
you're even luckier than the rest of us!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a transitional '97 3572.50 (863 gilt mvmnt, hesalite crystal/sapphire back, 1499 bracelet) with beautiful peanut butter colored patina, an '89 3590.50 (cream colored patina, dropped "R", 1479 bracelet) and just traded my '99 3560.50 30th Anniversary (superluminova, Apollo 11 medallion caseback, 1498 bracelet) for a vintage '66 SM300 (NOS bezel insert,1171 bracelet). Love them all, but the whiter dial and hands of the superlume vs tritium dials IMO just does not give enough character to this classic, hence the trade. There are so many variations of the Speedy that it's quite easy to justify owning multiple pieces.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,317 Posts
only the 3570 right now, but am seriously considering a FOIS to pair it with. I was lucky enough to look at them side by side thanks to Les at the ATL OB and they are different enough to coexist.
Only thing holding me back is I also want a SM300 (watchco or vintage)
Either way, there will be a new watch in box soon.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nope, NOT Justified. You Only need ONE: The One and ONLY MoonWATCH 3570. Anything else is a step below..
( Poker face)...:)

Well, I have 2 SMPc's, 2 TAGs, 2 boys, 2 wives, 2 GF's....ooopsss!!....lol

serious note: If I were gonna get another one, I would get a vintage one with patina. That would be nice.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I've got 2, a 105.012 and a 145.022. I bought the 145.022 when I realized how valuable the 105.012 had become. This has happened to me a number of times and now it is not uncommon for me to buy modern versions of vintage watches I own.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I've got 2, a 105.012 and a 145.022. I bought the 145.022 when I realized how valuable the 105.012 had become. This has happened to me a number of times and now it is not uncommon for me to buy modern versions of vintage watches I own.
I have a similar trend going, one old and one new of the same or similar model:

I have a 1976 Speedmaster Moonwatch and a 2015 Speedmaster GSOTM
I have a 1998 Seamaster Pro and a 2014 Seamaster Pro ceramic
I have a 2000 GMT II Coke and a 2015 GMT II BLNR
I have a 2003 Ti SMP chronograph and a 2015 SMP ceramic chronograph
I have a 2005 Explorer II and a 2014 Explorer II
I have a 2009 PO 2500 and a 2015 Ti PO 8500 LM

1 - 20 of 40 Posts