WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm curious to know who have completely or nearly completely switched to an Apple Watch and stopped using or sold their mechanical watches?
Why?

Thank you.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Still as true today as it was two and a half years ago:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/comparing-my-aw-rest-my-collection-pic-heavy-2699457.html

I haven't sold any of my other watches, at least not yet -- not because I don't like them, but because they're all gifts (so I would feel bad about ditching them).

I'm still considering getting a nice "capstone" watch if I can reach a career milestone, but my AW is still my go-to daily wearer.

BTW, you didn't need to start two threads; it's basically the same question.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am prospecting switching from regular watches to smartwatches as the functionality provided by them is appealing to me. Mainly I am interesting in the health aspect, as my job is very sedentary. Other than that I am interested in notifications and other apps useful when travelling.

I don't really want to wear a regular watch on my left wrist and a SW on my right. Currently I am wearing my son's Apple Watch Series 3 whenever he doesn't and so far I like it. I got over the always off screen and the limited set of faces.

As for my regular watches, I will sell some of them as many are overlapping. I will probably keep one or two mechanicals for now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just commented on another thread about this, but while I do love the Apple Watch, I tend to rotate quite a bit depending on the activity I’m doing. Like the poster above, love the health/activity aspect, but in my opinion, won’t ever replace the mechanical watch for me.,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Today I bought a new AW Series 3 (non LTE), after I used my son’s AW for a while. It is the second time I am trying one, after I had the first generation for a brief period. I think I got over the things that disappointed me at the beginning (lack of always on display and 3rd party faces). I am sure I will be wearing mechanicals from time to time, but probably much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just posted on a similar thread, but in the last 6 months since I bought the Series 3, I have been wearing it for ~23 hours per day and only really even wear a mechanical watch to weddings, formal dinners, etc. I'm torn on the whole thing; I miss my 'nice' watches but really can't live without all the conveniences the AW offers. Waiting for the day when it is considered "acceptable" to wear a mechanical watch on one wrist and the AW on the other :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
This week I only wore a mechanical watch once, when I went to meet some friends in evening. By that time I closed all the activity rings so I knew I won’t do any other physical activity that day. Otherwise I wore only the AW and it is very useful indeed. Having the screen always off does not bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
No way.

I wear my Apple Watch Series 2 Nike+ when I go out Running, four times per week.

I have many real Watches for other times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find apple watch works best when worn most of the time...I go back and forth between wanting to wear the apple watch constantly, or basically never wearing it in lieu of my more traditional watches

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've realized this too. It's hard to go back and forth if you're using the AW for everything else but keep time. I think an option is to wear a fitbit (or some other activity tracker) on the other wrist... been seeing that alot lately.

I find apple watch works best when worn most of the time...I go back and forth between wanting to wear the apple watch constantly, or basically never wearing it in lieu of my more traditional watches

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've realized this too. It's hard to go back and forth if you're using the AW for everything else but keep time. I think an option is to wear a fitbit (or some other activity tracker) on the other wrist... been seeing that alot lately.
Yeah I'm seriously considering just going all in on the Apple watch

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went all in on the AW, selling all my collection three years ago.
I regret it now, and have just bought a watch that would start a new collection.

I'm not giving up the AW. It will still be my daily driver, while the mechanical watches would be my weekend / vacation / evening watches.

Reading now this thread, I'm a bit discouraged. Hopefully, my experience would be different.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe I am in the wrong age group (was suggested in another thread, though I don't believe it myself), but why would I want an Apple watch? What's the unique selling point for someone who is not into sports really (except long distance walking, but I don't really care how many steps)? Could it fully replace my GPS that I use for routing and tracking? Is the small display good enough for that?

Besides sports, what is the killer function of a smart watch for you? Except of course showing you the exact time ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe I am in the wrong age group (was suggested in another thread, though I don't believe it myself), but why would I want an Apple watch? What's the unique selling point for someone who is not into sports really (except long distance walking, but I don't really care how many steps)? Could it fully replace my GPS that I use for routing and tracking? Is the small display good enough for that?

Besides sports, what is the killer function of a smart watch for you? Except of course showing you the exact time ;)
It's just too convenient, that's the killer feature.

I get an average of 20 notifications (email, messages, etc.) per hour (usually work related). I need to read almost all of them, but I actually need to reply to about fifth of them, and of those only some using more than a simple gesture.
Not having to take the phone out of the pocket / pick it up from the desk for 80% of the notifications is the killer feature for me.

Further more, I have some hobbies in which those notifications come extremely handy - Flying, Mountain Biking, Tennis. You can probably understand why a glance to the wrist is so much easier and safer in those situations.

The sports tracking stuff (which I do use quite a lot) are just a nice additional bonus.

My hope is that I can give up the AW at least for weekends and vacations, so I can enjoy a new collection as well.

Reactions: ancap95
1 - 20 of 166 Posts