WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Luminox Series 3200 and have looked at some Marathons online. Both come with the tritium glass tubes that glow in the dark. I find this to be an excellent feature in the dark. Are there any pros and cons on these two manufacturers from users on this forum?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Um...this is the Vintage and Pocket Watch Forum. Try the Public Forum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, sorry I saw vintage and thought this was correct. Where's the Moderator to move it rather than double posting?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I'll take care of it for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Marthon TSAR for me, awesome watch and the 120 click bezel is outstanding.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Oh, boy...here we go.

Other than the cosmetic differences, I don't see much. Luminox gets a bad rap for their aggressive marketing in the 80's and 90's with their 'Navy Seal' dials, but then anyone that had a watch worn by a S.E.A.L. could put that on their watches (Chase Durer). I don't really hold that against them, I just stay away from the plastic fiber divers with the 'Navy Seal' and 'F114' and what not on them. The guts and tubes are pretty similar between the two, since the licensing for the tubes is locked up pretty tight by Mb Microtec. I think at the base levels they are pretty similar enough to be the same. The Marathon navigator says it only has a 50 m WR, but others have worn them and tested them deeper. I don't know of any luminox models that are similar to a GSAR or the like, but then there are some that don't think those particular pieces are all they are cracked up to be, either, and are pretty specific as to why. Long, short, I don't think there are that many differences between them.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Both brands seem great, but I prefer the variety that Luminox offers in their watches, as opposed to the similar looking Marathon line.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Marathon also gets to claim, rightfully so, that they are issued, and manufactured per govt. contract. For some, especially hard core Pil/Mil collectors, this is important.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, boy...here we go.

Other than the cosmetic differences, I don't see much.
Agreed. In this case I would simply go for whichever model was more aesthetically pleasing to you.

Personally I like the style of Luminox watches moreso usually.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx guys. I just wondered how good the black polyurethane stands up since I read a bad review on the Luminox 3001 that it wouldn't last too long with a Seal when it couldn't stand up to a regular day to day guy.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Those 3001's go back about 13 years. I got my first one right before I got married in 1998-at the time it cost me about 250.00-when my student housing rent was 350 a month and I was losing weight to join the Army. (yikes, what a phase I went through for a little while) The strap was uncomfortable, and the watch really felt 'cheap'-but dammit it had NAVY SEAL across the front! Now they feel a lot better and more substantial, even the basic seal diver types. The Colormarks (Evo's) are pretty nice, too. And they don't say Navy Seal either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts