WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I've recently discovered the world of NATO straps and have been playing with the nylon variants since the summer. But having gotten my grail 5513 I'm finding I like leather NATO's a lot more for that particular model and I'm having sketchy results. Every NATO I've tried is a one-piece design with a nice smooth front and a fuzzy fraying messy back.

As a result, the sides of the straps I've tried all fray as does the folded-back portion that goes under the double keepers.

Can anyone let me know if someone makes a better quality leather NATO strap that a) has sides that don't fray perhaps are heat sealed and b) have thin two-ply construction that eliminates the hairy fuzzy fraying on the folded back portion?

I love the NATO look, but I don't love how sloppy some of these look on the backs and edges. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think there's any way to get rid of that with leather; at least nothing that's durable enough to last.

As for a 2-ply construction, they do exist. Usually relatively thicker compared to your standard NATO strap though.

Strapsco has some that are unstitched, so held together by an adhesive, which does give me some concerns about durability (mostly from experience with belts where the layers always end up separating).
Marathon watches has some stitched leather NATO's. Bulang & Sons seems to have at least one stitched one visible on their site, but they are on the pricier side.

I know I've seen others out there (especially in the ZULU style with the bigger rings), but couldn't see any with any of the other strap sellers off the top of my head.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I've been getting ArtStyle brand off of Amazon, I've only gotten canvas material ones though (not leather). This brand is thick and heavier duty than other brands I've been experimenting with

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By using high end quality leather which is finished both face of the leather. That is the way perfecto the strap.

Phoenix
Have you made a brown leather NATO with polished and squared SS in this manner? I'd love to see a few shots and closeups....I'm looking to order a 20mm that doesn't fray.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts

So I've recently discovered the world of NATO straps and have been playing with the nylon variants since the summer. But having gotten my grail 5513 I'm finding I like leather NATO's a lot more for that particular model and I'm having sketchy results. Every NATO I've tried is a one-piece design with a nice smooth front and a fuzzy fraying messy back.

As a result, the sides of the straps I've tried all fray as does the folded-back portion that goes under the double keepers.

Can anyone let me know if someone makes a better quality leather NATO strap that a) has sides that don't fray perhaps are heat sealed and b) have thin two-ply construction that eliminates the hairy fuzzy fraying on the folded back portion?

I love the NATO look, but I don't love how sloppy some of these look on the backs and edges. Thanks!
Bulang & Sons, Bass & Lokes, Gunny Straps to name a few.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts