WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What proportion of watch buyers ever read a watch forum? I'd guess less than one-per-cent, but that is a guess. Does anyone have any actual evidence?
Several things flow from this; Forums are packed with people buying Daytonas, Submariners and Speedmasters. But the real watch buying public may have very different tastes. So we may end-up with a somewhat distorted view of reality in 'watch world.'

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
I would hazard a guess that there is greater volume of casual traffic than there once was because people increasingly browse the Internet and where old fools like me went looking for WUS there's a greater chance of the "man in the street" stumbling across it. I suppose some of the stumlees will stay and have a look or even join but the majority will say "nah, not for me" and move on.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,360 Posts
What proportion of watch buyers ever read a watch forum? I'd guess less than one-per-cent, but that is a guess. Does anyone have any actual evidence?
Several things flow from this; Forums are packed with people buying Daytonas, Submariners and Speedmasters. But the real watch buying public may have very different tastes. So we may end-up with a somewhat distorted view of reality in 'watch world.'
Forums are packed with collectors buying and trading information about all manner of new and collectible watches. from Casio right on up the price scale. But packed is a relative term because watch enthusiasts represent a very small proportion of the watch buying public. I would guess that the vast majority of watch buyers choose, wear and enjoy their watches without ever visiting a watch forum.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I was deflowered here just after Christmas 2013. I have always liked watches but never knew much about them.
My GF offered to buy me a watch. The caveat is that the agreed upon budget was less than CAD 100.
Not one of those crazy people who buy each other ridiculously expensive gifts.

Lurked here early Dec to get info. I looked for the most value for money, watch in that price range.
In fact my search was "affordable high end watches."
I ended up with this.
P1070872.jpg
Mechanical - yes. Inhouse - yes. Brand with a history - yes.
I no longer wear that watch because it fell and seems to lose 15 to 30 minutes a day.
The repair would cost more than the watch.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I wonder if industry insiders - marketers, ADs, distribution reps and channel managers, designers, etc read forums to get a feel for trends and tastes.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
97% - WIS
2% - scammers
1% - people mistakenly looking for pr0n

·
Registered
328 Posts
I believe I have read that WUS is the largest watch forum and has 10,000-15,000 regular members/users. Total annual watch sales are about 1 billion I believe, with Swiss watch sales about 25-30 million.

So we are a tiny fraction of even the Swiss watch buying public. I frankly am surprised that the watch review posts don't have much higher reader counts from non forum members doing research pre-purchase. While there is a lot of great watch content on the net, I give a lot of credence to well written reviews by owners on WUS; I feel they often will give a franker portrayal of the weaknesses of various models than commercial sites will.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Reactions: okcmco and dbostedo

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
lol! I think theres a small percentage that also come across the forum when researching a watch before they buy.
I did. I spent four years lurking on Watchuseek (especially on F71) before I became a member.

Reactions: s_buba

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Distorted is right. You know you have a distorted view of the world when you justify a new watch purchase by saying "It's only $12K for the new Daytona, what an amazing deal!"

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm sure there's lots of non-WIS that come on here to research on which 1 watch to buy..

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
14,853 Posts
Somewhere between a small percentage and a very small percentage

1 - 20 of 36 Posts