WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Life Watch" - the one watch that does everything with me in my life - recently took time off from being a "sport" watch and became my "dress" watch. It did very well. :)

fullsizeoutput_1cac.jpeg

Last Friday night, I attended a black tie fundraiser for the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art (Charlotte, NC) and my trusty SubC No Date came along for the ride.

The name is Baby ... Dougiebaby

fullsizeoutput_1d4d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1df7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1db5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d77.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d9a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d5c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1de5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1df4.jpeg

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My "Life Watch" - the one watch that does everything with me in my life - recently took time off from being a "sport" watch and became my "dress" watch. It did very well. :)

View attachment 13083203

Last Friday night, I attended a black tie fundraiser for the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art (Charlotte, NC) and my trusty SubC No Date came along for the ride.

The name is Baby ... Dougiebaby

View attachment 13083207

View attachment 13083209

View attachment 13083213

View attachment 13083217

View attachment 13083223

View attachment 13083225

View attachment 13083227

View attachment 13083229
Is that a white Burgundy in your glass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Dougiebaby

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
That must have been an expensive evening...

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Thanks for opening the can. Sure, you can do it, but wouldn't a real dress watch be better? As Chris Rock said, "you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ... idea."

Well, the post was submitted for a purpose so i guess someone has to bite so it might as well be me .... just imagine that outfit, including the nice looking company, with a real dress watch..... that would have been the finishing touch.

So close yet so far .....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for opening the can. Sure, you can do it, but wouldn't a real dress watch be better? As Chris Rock said, "you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ... idea."

I understand, but for 2 reasons, the Sub was perfect:

1. I only own two watches -- and my other watch is not really for dress :D

fullsizeoutput_1c2d.jpeg

2. This fundraiser was for a modern art museum. And while the guests were of very high means, some were pretty Avant-garde. One of the attendees came in Tux with tennis shoes. The crowd was a nice cross section of people with different lifestyles, but a common love for the art and the museum. Interestingly, the namesake's "family portrait" was painted by Andy Warhol. Could you imaging Warhol painting your family? Amazing!

BuXkl-MIMAAkmNL.jpg

So, I don't think my Sub was a faux pas or offended anyone in attendance. :)

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Given the options, you nailed it. I have a hard time personally putting a ton of money into a strict dress watch, that's why I bought a used Intra-matic. I haven't found anything for less than about $2k that I like better.

IMG_4385 (Custom).jpg

I understand, but for 2 reasons, the Sub was perfect:

1. I only own two watches -- and my other watch is not really for dress :D

View attachment 13083409

2. This fundraiser was for a modern art museum. And while the guests were of very high means, some were pretty Avant-garde. One of the attendees came in Tux with tennis shoes. The crowd was a nice cross section of people with different lifestyles, but a common love for the art and the museum. Interestingly, the namesake's "family portrait" was painted by Andy Warhol. Could you imaging Warhol painting your family? Amazing!

So, I don't think my Sub was a faux pas or offended anyone in attendance. :)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Looks fine precisely because you were in an alternative to a tux, clearly the idea was to show your own style interpreting black tie - and you did. Nice!

All mechanical, all the time

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I wear all kinds of watches with a tux, and it's totally fine with me for guys to wear anything they like. My only personal restrictions with formal attire are no G-shocks(and I own some)and no bright colors. As long as it is black or white dial I'm ok. Looks like a great event!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You can wear anything you want, but, there are better choices when going dressy.

Reactions: whineboy

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Thanks Vioviv, but I am 51 (52 in July). What generation are you? -- we may be of the same?
Well, okay, we're both Gen Xers, but still ... the footloose and fancy free still applies! However, you get a free pass for supporting the arts!
Love that family portrait screenprint, btw ... he sold the first run of the Campells Soup Can prints for $25 to $100 each in 1960-ish, now they're worth, well, not as much as Paul Newman's Daytona, but close.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Next up, sneakers and a tux, another no no.

gettyimages-504392620jpg.jpg

1 - 20 of 112 Posts