WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I've watched this video every single week, sometimes twice or three times a week actually, and I dont understand anything!! I'm dying to know what's being said...

Who can translate??o|

·
Moderator High-end watches
3,603 Posts
French is my native language, i will watch it when i get some spare time and shall reply you via Pm or here afterwards.

Reactions: AbuKalb93

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
The short of what he said:
I'm "all that and a bag of chips." My watches are the sh*t and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Now hustle on down to your bank, take out a second mortgage and then hand the money over to me and I'll give you one of my watches in return.

LOL.

All the best.

EDIT: give this one a shot. It's got subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tda9pTGfL_g

I have just viewed your video which was most interesting. What struck me first is the extreme modesty of François Paul Journe (who said he was a poor student, had no calling to make watches whatsoever but went to a French school to learn watchmaking as a kind of last resort because he loved car mechanics!) and everyone else in the video who said he was a highly inspired artist. ...
As you can tell by my humorous comment/translation above, that would strike me too as the guy isn't known for his humility.

-t

Reactions: The Naf

·
Registered
71 Posts
*drooooooool*
I have just viewed your video which was most interesting. What struck me first is the extreme modesty of François Paul Journe (who said he was a poor student, had no calling to make watches whatsoever but went to a French school to learn watchmaking as a kind of last resort because he loved car mechanics!) and everyone else in the video who said he was a highly inspired artist. Little by little Journe became enthused by watchmaking encouraged by his mastery of each step in the process. Finally he made his first watch - which took him years - since he was certain never to be able to afford to buy a very good watch. From there on, friends and others Journe knew asked him to make a watch for them, which he did. His career was launched.
Pretty inspiring video... but it is nearly a half hour long, a little long to translate for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Knowing the OP.. he is going to learn French if only to be able to take in every word :)
I had read all about his journey to buy an FP Journe and it wasn't difficult to see that the OP is a passionate collector of FP Journe's "oeuvre" ! I felt I had to throw in an extra enticement to learn French - the video was awfully good.:)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knowing the OP.. he is going to learn French if only to be able to take in every word :)
I've actually tried that. I remember coming across that video 3 months back and spending every night watching it right before i went to sleep (i find it too short!). Couldn't understand a single word so I actually did try to put 2+2 together and use google but that was quite an epic fail...

Don't be surprised though...I would have learned french if i had to...

The short of what he said:
I'm "all that and a bag of chips." My watches are the sh*t and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Now hustle on down to your bank, take out a second mortgage and then hand the money over to me and I'll give you one of my watches in return.

LOL.

Not sure where you are going with that lol but yes...Mr. Journe is the absolute king of this era of horology and that as they say is that! Although, he really cares very little about money. His goal is not money...it is merely a means to reach his goal. :D

EDIT: give this one a shot. It's got subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tda9pTGfL_g

-t
I cannot thank you enough for that video!! I kid not, you have brought tears to my eyes!! Just as I have memorized other Journe youtube videos...I will gladly do the same with this! Mr. Tony, as Journe is king of watchmaking...you are officially king of this forum!

THAAAAAAANK YOUUUU!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg my friend, you may soon need an intervention...
The hardest part is not being able to talk about Journe to someone on a daily basis. My dream is to work at my Journe dealer so I can talk about the pieces to every customer who walks in...

I usually end up talking about Journe to..well...the walls make for good listeners dont you think ? :D
Although I am still in my youth...i hope to one day own every single Journe piece...including the Grande Sonnerie!

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
The hardest part is not being able to talk about Journe to someone on a daily basis. My dream is to work at my Journe dealer so I can talk about the pieces to every customer who walks in...

I usually end up talking about Journe to..well...the walls make for good listeners dont you think ? :D
Although I am still in my youth...i hope to one day own every single Journe piece...including the Grande Sonnerie!
Why is it that none of that surprises me? LOL <wink>

I think that dream may come to an abrupt end if you find yourself needing a career that can support buying lots of FPJ and/or similar watches. <winks>

I like watches. I llke FPJ's watches. I think you are a very cool interesting fellow, but I'm going to tell you now that were I to have to listen to you prattling on about that damn watch every day, I'd get tired of you really soon for you'd be much of a "Abu One Note" having to bring up a watch every day. Some of our conceits are best kept private. <winks>

Note: not trying to squelch your enthusiasm....just saying...eating, sleeping and sex are about the only things most folks want to deal with everyday.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Omg my friend, you may soon need an intervention...
Tis time...the only healthy way to get over this Journe obsession is to recognise other equally talented (if not more so) watchmakers...First up: George Daniels. Need I remind you that George had a profound influence on Journe who followed him as an inspiration. Mean while Roger Smith was more like his discple :p

haha kidding kidding...you know we love you...What I'd love to see is a sparring match between you and Valante (i.e. Journe vs AP) muahahaha! :p

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tis time...the only healthy way to get over this Journe obsession is to recognise other equally talented (if not more so) watchmakers...First up: George Daniels. Need I remind you that George had a profound influence on Journe who followed him as an inspiration. Mean while Roger Smith was more like his discple :p

haha kidding kidding...you know we love you...What I'd love to see is a sparring match between you and Valante (i.e. Journe vs AP) muahahaha! :p
I agree, there are other very valuable watchmakers and yes i do acknowledge them. George Daniels, Roger Smith, Kari V., Dufour, Vianney Halter...and the list goes on. These are extraordinary gentlemen who have entered their names in the list of legendary watchmakers. I certainly cannot fault any of them as I respect each of them greatly.
However, Mr. Journe is a little in a league of his own...and to start, allow me to say that generally he is accessible to the general.

Journe...and AP... -_- *puts on boxing gloves*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts