WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you be interested in purchasing a Limited Edition Sinn that you helped design?

• Are you kidding? Of course I would!

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • I'd have to see the final design and price first.

Votes: 83 54.6%
  • I don't think so.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A side conversation began on the Juwelier Roberto Limited Edition U1 thread on how cool it would be to design our own Limited Edition Sinn. I mentioned that I know people who can make this a reality and received positive posts and a few PMs in support of such a project.

The preliminary feedback has been to use the U1 case, tagimented and/or PVD, a fully lumed dial (blue/white or stealth lume) with black hands and indices. Of course all of this is subject to further feedback and finally majority approval.

Today I emailed one of the folks I know at Sinn to gauge the feasibility of such a project in respect to the minimum that Sinn would consider producing and any design limitations that we would have to work within. If feedback from Sinn is positive I will engage with them at the end of the month at Baselworld.

But (yes, there's always a but), before I get any further in this process I'd like to get a feel for how many folks would actually consider buying a watch that they helped design and bring to life. If sufficient interest is generated I will post a series of polls to determine case design and finish, dial and hand combo, bezel finish, caseback design and bracelet/strap options.

Once a final design is agreed upon I will submit it to Sinn for their feedback and an estimated unit cost. If we get the green light to proceed I will secure the services of a Sinn Authorized Dealer to handle the sales, delivery and warranty portions of the project.

If this sounds like a good idea then let me know. If not, let me know that too.

Thanks in advance! :-!

Brad (AKA Peter to my European friends)

WUS LE Sinn U1 Project Update:

Over the past two weeks I've been exchanging correspondence with Ernie Romers (the WatchUSeek Forum owner) and people I know at Sinn regarding a possible WUS Limited Edition Sinn. Ernie was very interested and Sinn said it is possible but only with the forum owners approval to avoid copyright infringement. With Ernie's approval I set up a meeting with Sinn.

On Saturday, 28 March at 0900 Ernie, Marcel (Ernie's business partner), John Opie (John F on WUS) and I met with Sinn's marketing team at Baselworld to discuss a WatchUSeek Limited Edition Sinn U1 of our very own.

I pitched our preliminary design to everyone and Simone (Sinns Marketing Manager) smiled, excused herself and returned with this watch. We were floored! We discussed the possibility of a similar watch and Sinn is on board as long as it is unique enough that it won't be confused with this TOP Secret U1 prototype they made for another customer (just found out the other customer is Time Zone). I enquired about other color and feature combinations and it appears the sky (and our wallets) is the limit.

Here's the only catch, we have to settle on a final design and guarantee 30 buyers and Sinn will produce a run of 50 U1s for us. I will post more from our meeting in the WUS LE Sinn sub-forum Ernie will set up when he returns from Baselworld.

Here's a little taste of things to come (pics courtesy of Horomundi.com and Mike Stuffler):

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
edit

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I am on a self imposed buy freeze till Summer. I voted that I would have to see where the design went, but would certainly participate and track the project. Anything Sinn is good.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fully tagimented U1 case and bracelet would be great. I'm not so sure on full lume dial although stealth lume dial would look interesting, would have to see the design. U1 or U2 hands, maybe with UTC option?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I probably should have voted to see the final design and price first, but I think I'd be all over a Sinn U1 with a fully lumed blue/white dial. I have one other watch with a full lumed dial and glow is unbelievable. However, that one has lumed hands as well and when looking at it when waking up at night the whole thing is actually too bright and I find it hard to read the time. None lumed hands would be perfect.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
edit

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi,

I voted that I'd have to see the final design first - mostly as I think the stock U1 is near perfection already. However, there's still room for improvement, IMHO, and if I read the prevailing mood right, the ltd. ed. will be different enough from the regular one to justify owning both. :)

I am in for a work-a-thon this weekend, but hope to be able to make a few sketches of what such a U1 might look like.

I have a feeling we're onto something very, very exciting here. :)

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably should have voted to see the final design and price first, but I think I'd be all over a Sinn U1 with a fully lumed blue/white dial. I have one other watch with a full lumed dial and glow is unbelievable. However, that one has lumed hands as well and when looking at it when waking up at night the whole thing is actually too bright and I find it hard to read the time. None lumed hands would be perfect.
Who made your fully lumed watch? Could you please post pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I voted that I would have to see the design and price first but I am definitely interested

My preference would be a fully lumed dial U1 with U2 hands (in black, maybe the second hand in blue), tegmented on a bracelet (also tegmented). However, I am willing to be flexible to get a consensus.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Who made your fully lumed watch? Could you please post pics?
It's a Glycine KMU 48 with the Big Second dial. It's a 48mm watch with a huge dial, and most of it is covered with super luminova. When fully charged it can light up the far wall of the bedroom. However, because the hands are also covered with super luminova, it's actually a bit hard to read if I wake up in the middle of the night - it's just too bright.

If I could have designed this Glycine watch I would have made a few changes. I would prefer the blue/white colored luminous materials. Some of my other Glycines use it. In daylight it looks almost white, but it glows blue. I would have used a different color for the sub seconds dial and then had solid black hands. I think that would have made it much more legible in all lighting conditions.

But perhaps we can do that with this Sinn ;-)

The picture below is next to a Seiko Black Monster.

Big-SecMonster-at-Night.jpg

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
edit

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry about the result. I did warn you I am no expert.
A quick mock up x 2, lumed dial, SDR bezel, etc
If you squint, it looks better!

This is sort of what I was thinking of, except I would change hour and minute hands to black and second hand to blue, also make the dial writing in black. I could live with our without the SDR bezel. I like the crown at the 10pm or 8pm position.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
edit

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
edit

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like the blue second hand idea with the lume dial that glows blueish. As for the U1 or U2 scheme, I could go either way. I do know that I could not afford a U2 LE watch as that would be above my pay grade right now. I think a U1 LE would be more cost effective. I don't think Sinn would build a U1 watch with U2 hands or dial. More than likely they would only change colors and minor dial markings (like adding a caption or name for the limited edition). We would probably have to come up with something that is a straight U1 with a lume dial with whatever color options we want. A blue lume dial with a blue second hand gets my vote for now! As far as the bezel, a standard bezel with blue instead of red markings on the 16-60 second ring positions. I think all this would be in keeping with the "Ice" concept. My 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.