Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,
I don't know whether this has been done before. So forgive me if it has.

Taking into account what Authur has said on another post (and I agree with him). I think a time frame with the production of this watch would be suitable, say 3 years although it is entirely up to DOXA (I am just really keen and interested in what could happen, say a 40th anniversary model). I think the guys at Doxa would be supprised and interested to know who would buy one even before they are produced.
I think there would need to be a very limited run of say 50-100 of these so it does not affect the sales of the other models available.

Lets not muck around fellas if you click this poll you would be prepared to put your cash down.

I think it should still be stainless with all the classic lines of the original and of course the orange face,, the GMT thicker band as well, I think Doxa should make the decision on the depth rating as they know best, but within the realms of serious SAT diving.
Metric bezel option???? Hope so|>

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Give it a flat sapphire crystal and the orange color of the 300T reissue and I'd definitely be in!
I agree with guitargonaut....... in addition I invision Doxa using a beefed up 750 case. 24mm. lugs. Super thick crystal. Small LE runs.:-!

And because this watch would be "so special" it would be nice if it came with "lots of goodies" and a special presentation tube. Maybe a longer tube....with (1) bracelet, and (1) rubber strap, and (1) kodiak "water resistant" leather strap with special Doxa detailing! :think:

These would become very collectable for us Doxaholics.B-)

DJ

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with all you guys for the details.
One thing I'd like to add is a certified chronometer rating.
Not just a special model with it.
Both Breitling and Omega have that as SOP and I think for Doxa to really be competitive it's a must.
Especially for a flagship model.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Give it a flat sapphire crystal and the orange color of the 300T reissue and I'd definitely be in!
So there are differences in the DOXA orange depending on model? I don't have an orange faced DOXA but I thought "DOXA Orange" was a standard color throughout the product line.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The 300T was a darker, reddish orange color. Still orange but not as flamboyant. More "wearable" in more situations and IMHO more attractive.
Hey Guitargonaut, I am afraid you are wrong, DOXA orange is one color but as orange ages quickly and forms a patina, you will see a difference in color according to exposure to sunlight and age.

john

·
Registered
319 Posts
Limited runs put the watch in the price range of a very few people. Usually rich collectors who wouldn't even dive the watch. I am totally against that to the max.

I gave specifications I figured a Doxa Conquistador should probably have in a post about a year ago. I don't really agree they should all be in orange, I don't particularly care for orange. I think the blue of the Carribean along with the Mark V logo it has on its face would be a good start. A beefy case, He Release valve of course, 4mm sappire crystal, water resistance around 1000m, and COSC chronometer status would fit the bill.

With Doxa using an ETA 2824-2 movement (non Doxa movement) and with their resources close at hand, they should be able to whip out a Conquistador in the same price range as their other Doxas. Less than $2000 I should think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey Guitargonaut, I am afraid you are wrong, DOXA orange is one color but as orange ages quickly and forms a patina, you will see a difference in color according to exposure to sunlight and age.

john
Nope. I remember a thread from the old forum where someone from Doxa said that it was darker to simulate an aged dial. And my Seahunter was definitely darker than my 600T. With all due respect, it is a darker color. Dials don't acquire that kind of "patina" in a few short years... My vintages are a brighter, lighter color than my Seahunter.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My ideas are:
  • Beefed up case 24mm lugs
  • flat sapphire crystal 6mm thick
  • 4mm bracelet
  • Doxa 300T orange, (however I wouldn't mind 750T orange)
  • COSC movement ETA 2824-2
  • High depth rating hopefully 2000m+
  • A Tube with goodies, extra bands, (maybe a special leather band, or semi steel/titanium band)
  • Divers helmet on the face
  • Metric option bezel
  • HRV valve
  • Yet keeping to the whole retro look paying homage to the original
Go on guys put the CONQUISTADOR the KING of tool diving watches back where it belongs, the flagship of DOXA and the best diving watch on the market. Depth charge the compeditors out of the water

TKITE I hear where you are comming from, but to keep the prestige of these watches I think a limited run would be very important. Just thoughts is all, at the end of the day DOXA will do what is right for the company and that is the most important thing to us all.

Cheers
Peter D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree, especially with the 24mm lugs!

My ideas are:
  • Beefed up case 24mm lugs
  • flat sapphire crystal 6mm thick
  • 4mm bracelet
  • Doxa 300T orange, (however I wouldn't mind 750T orange)
  • COSC movement ETA 2824-2
  • High depth rating hopefully 2000m+
  • A Tube with goodies, extra bands, (maybe a special leather band, or semi steel/titanium band)
  • Divers helmet on the face
  • Metric option bezel
  • HRV valve
  • Yet keeping to the whole retro look paying homage to the original
Go on guys put the CONQUISTADOR the KING of tool diving watches back where it belongs, the flagship of DOXA and the best diving watch on the market. Depth charge the compeditors out of the water

TKITE I hear where you are comming from, but to keep the prestige of these watches I think a limited run would be very important. Just thoughts is all, at the end of the day DOXA will do what is right for the company and that is the most important thing to us all.

Cheers
Peter D
Peter D is on the money! I ESPECIALLY agree with the 24mm lugs!!!!!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
24 inch lugs. Jeez guys the watch will end up like an big orange dinner plate. We are all not built like Popeye. The 750T is pretty big and for many people too big which is why the 600T continues to find favour with many people.

Just look at the Sea-Dweller. Approximately the same size as the 750T. More depth than any bin jocky has ever been to and Rolex don't look to be in any hurry to change it. Why should Doxa make some monster with a HRV?

Why not do another poll and see if people would prefer a Conquistador along the size of the original or the 750T? Actually lets say someone found a couple of hundred of vintage SUBs or Doxa was to reissue an dimensionally exact SUB to the vintage model, would people not go for it rather than a Godzilla size?

Just a couple of Trinidad hotel thoughts for you :)

Pete

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why not do another poll and see if people would prefer a Conquistador along the size of the original or the 750T? Actually lets say someone found a couple of hundred of vintage SUBs or Doxa was to reissue an dimensionally exact SUB to the vintage model, would people not go for it rather than a Godzilla size?
+1

I would put down a deposit right now on a 'dimensionally exact' SUB!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
24 inch lugs. Jeez guys the watch will end up like an big orange dinner plate. We are all not built like Popeye. The 750T is pretty big and for many people too big which is why the 600T continues to find favour with many people.

Just look at the Sea-Dweller. Approximately the same size as the 750T. More depth than any bin jocky has ever been to and Rolex don't look to be in any hurry to change it. Why should Doxa make some monster with a HRV?

Just a couple of Trinidad hotel thoughts for you :)

Pete
I'm with ya Pete,
But she'll have to be something fine,
750T size or original spec's would be fine by me.
how about 1mm extra on the band then taking it to 22mm?

Good to see the guys putting down their ideas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That one off 21mm size is ridiculous. Doxa should go with 22mm if they plan on doing it so people can slap on a Zulu strap or similar.

The 6mm thick crystal, 2000m water resistance sounds good, but let's remember it drives the cost up significantly. 1000m is quite enough, and 4mm thick crystal is as well, and more obtainable.

As well, a bezel of 42mm is fine. I am a proponent of function over gaudiness. Peter Millar is right, who needs a monstrosity?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As well, a bezel of 42mm is fine. I am a proponent of function over gaudiness. Peter Millar is right, who needs a monstrosity?
I'm with ya too TKite, functionality is the key and if they stuck to the classic lines of the vintage with an approximate size of the 750T it shouldn't be a monstrosity. 22mm-24mm lugs on a 750T sized dial would be very cool indeed to allow for other straps like the typical zulu strap.

However, IMHO I think the depth needs to be considered seriously, OK we can't go 3000m but it instills a high degree of confidence in the product and gives the impression of high precision and quality (all things that DOXA's are by the way;-) )

So on the depth I'm sticking to my guns as this can't be just another 1000m watch like an oris or a citizen. It could be DOXA's flagship so it has to be very awesome indeed.

I am interested in DOXA's opinion on this matter, what say you guys at DOXA? If it was something very good it seems you would have approximately 30 sales at the moment.

Cheers, (guys they are only my ideas:think: so don't jump all over me)
Peter D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm with ya too TKite, functionality is the key and if they stuck to the classic lines of the vintage with an approximate size of the 750T it shouldn't be a monstrosity. 22mm-24mm lugs on a 750T sized dial would be very cool indeed to allow for other straps like the typical zulu strap.

However, IMHO I think the depth needs to be considered seriously, OK we can't go 3000m but it instills a high degree of confidence in the product and gives the impression of high precision and quality (all things that DOXA's are by the way;-) )

So on the depth I'm sticking to my guns as this can't be just another 1000m watch like an oris or a citizen. It could be DOXA's flagship so it has to be very awesome indeed.

I am interested in DOXA's opinion on this matter, what say you guys at DOXA? If it was something very good it seems you would have approximately 30 sales at the moment.

Cheers, (guys they are only my ideas:think: so don't jump all over me)
Peter D
Once again, I'm with Peter D. The current watch size of the T-Graphs/750s does not need to be increased, just increase the lug width. When I tried putting a leather strap on my T-Graph, it looked way too small. I have a big case with this slim leather band coming out. There is a huge market for 24mm leather straps that would look great on a Doxa!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am with you Dr. Pete. I would love to see a size correct replica of the original. I am not a diver, at don't have to worry about nitrogen saturation. My interests are purely historical. Since an original Conquistador is made out of unobtainium, I would settle for an exact copy. Not as Pete said a dinner plate! It has bee said many times before, Rolex has done just fine with the size of their Submariner and Seadweller!

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
YES I am all for the " C " I am pleased to see even John is not discounting the idea of broaching the 1000M to 2000M range,:p it will be a seller, nice guys- I have been waiting for this.
Regards
Robert

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I agree with Dr.Pete.
I have aT-Graph, and it is as big as I would buy. Anything bigger is just too big. I have had a couple of Panerai's and I sold both of them pretty quickly, because they were just too darn big. I believe that a Conquistidor no bigger than the T-Graph and preferably the same exact dimensions as the original would be wonderful.
I am a firm believer that this "oversize" watch thing is just another watch fad. I don't think that we are going to go back to the 36-38mm size for men, but these 45-50mm watches are just too big unless you are 6'8" tall and 250 pounds. As Pete said, the SD is the gold standard of depth rated dive watches, and it's just 40mm. Rolex can't build them fast enough, so somebody still likes that size watch.
Just my dos centavos
Arthur

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.