WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a lawyer, nor do I intend to become one. But I was astounded this morning to learn that there are watch companies that sell watches for no other purpose than to help attorney hopefuls sit for the all-important LSAT exam:

watch-large.png
My sources tell me the wall clock in exam rooms can be difficult to see and electronic devices are forbidden, so this watch is what a growing number of test-takers wear to manage their time completing the four 35-minute sections (hence the upper limit at 35 on the dial). Once 35 minutes lapse, you just reset and start over.

Fascinating. I doubt anyone keeps them around in their collection for long, lest they be confronted with memories they'd rather forget!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm hoping LSAT-ers are sustainably minded and gift them to the next generation as a rite of passage ;)
Can this be considered a watch? Let's debate.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
Vastly over-priced and made from materials sourced in an ethically dubious manner? ;-)
Depends. If you pass and become an ambulance chaser or mesothelioma sympathizer, only takes one case to score big...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's already said, but... I don't think this is a watch. :) It's something very similar (in shape) to watches, but it's not!
Maybe this works because of similarity with watches.

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
If I discovered that my chosen lawyer had to resort to using a watch like that in their exam I'd think very carefully about engaging them.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Couldn't you just use the rotating bezel on a dive watch to time 35 minutes?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think it's cool. I would categorise it as a watch in that it's a timekeeping device, although one with very narrow function and usefulness.
I like the legibility and focused design, and it also features some attention to detail: the elongated markers every 8 minutes, which caught my eye.
According to the website:
"Both the reading comprehension and logic games sections contain four subsections each. Most elite test-takers aim to complete each subsection within eight minutes, which allows a three minute buffer to review work or complete the section"

talk about pressure!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
$70 for a single use watch.. I guess there are worse investments, but I'd suggest picking up a cheap digital timer or use your current watch. put the money you saved into post-LSAT drinks. if you really want to prep for law school / the legal field, start priming your liver now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The LSAT and especially the BAR exam are not only tests of knowledge but of time management. You want to answer the questions correctly but with bad time management you will not finish the exam and any question not answered is obviously incorrect. I used this and successfully received a license to "chase ambulances".

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it's awesome. I wish I'd had something like it for my own professional exams!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
And I thought that being able to tell the time and count was a prerequisite for any career......no doubt explains why there are so many useless people out there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts