WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would make a great addition to Chronoscopio or Millemetri line if not entirely new model. I am a big fan of industrial design (that's why I collect Nimos) and carbon fiber is a material of choice in most current design fields/ performance products. Any thoughts? Dan

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I personally don't mind CF on chronographs because at least there's a link to timing, racing and whatnot. But, I don't find it to be a great mix for diving watches.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the new Carbon Diver is the best argument against Anonimo making any other carbon watches...
+ 1

The concept of CF is definitely 'modern' and is slowly gaining some interest. The Anonimo execution however, with the Carbon Diver (pictured), is not a very good sampling on how CF should be integrated into the design - again, my opinion. It probably would have been marginally better with just a Carbon face (sans Carbon Dial), and even then, this poster will most likely keep the dollar bills saved up for other more interesting models.

Carbon Diver (Likes):
- 3, 6, 9, 12 Arabic Numerals (unlike Sailor Diver's two hatch marks for 12)
- Use of orange
- 'Marlin-style' hands

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I was not aware they make carbon diver...As stated above not a great application choice. Still, I think it would be a great choice for Chronoscopio Nero, even Professionale chrono....IMHO

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think it would be a great choice for Chronoscopio Nero, even Professionale chrono....IMHO
The Professionale with CF has a chance. I wasn't really sold on the 'waffle' (Professionale GMT), but I think a CF version would work better, if done right. I also agree that it could add a little more 'dimension' to the unassuming, but mysterious, Nero.

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
What, exactly, is the advantage of carbon when used on a dial?
Can someone please enlighten me? I am unaware of its virtues, and I am perplexed as to why CF is tooted as if it is 'obviously' superior.
I only know that CF makes it more difficult to print on it, and to make holes in it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
What, exactly, is the advantage of carbon when used on a dial?
Can someone please enlighten me? I am unaware of its virtues, and I am perplexed as to why CF is tooted as if it is 'obviously' superior.
I only know that CF makes it more difficult to print on it, and to make holes in it.
I have a Breguet type xx transatlantique with a cf dial and I must say it looks really good. It gives the numbers and letters that 3D look, like theyre floating on the dial. Plus the light catches differently depending on your position, so it looks more like slate grey than black. I should point out tho that my watch is titanium which is also a darker material than steel, so that may be why cf looks well balanced with the watch.

If I was a good photographer Id post pics to give an idea of what Im talking about but unfortunately, Id probably just make cf look worse! Haha

Other than my watch, Ive seen some nice ones on dlc/black colored watches and some racing themed or chronograph watches as well. This is the first Im seeing it on a dive watch and I dont think it looks good. Maybe if they used it together with their darker finished models like the chronoscopes?

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Carbon fiber has no advantage on a dial and probably requires a metal back plate since it has no magnetic shielding properties.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts