WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you more likely to buy a watch while travelling or on holiday? As for me, I've got other things on my mind. I'm more likely to be looking at watches when I'm sitting at home bored.

I just got off a flight where I happened to browse through the latest edition of Virgin Australia's in flight magazine and was astonished at the amount of watch related advertising. Here's a sample that I snapped with my phone:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872813.961470.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872829.801197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872847.426783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872862.317515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872879.726277.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872899.803139.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872913.343126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872954.130841.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451872971.272311.jpg

Lots of companies competing for advertising space and it made me wonder why it (seemingly) works so well for them compared to other forms of media.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Duty-free. I know most Korean people purchase luxury watches at the duty free or plan their purchases around an international flight. Some even book short flights to Japan just for duty free watch purchases. Same goes for womens luxury bags and goods.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a domestic airline so I don't think duties play a role, and most fares are quite inexpensive nowadays. Just a small step up from a bus really.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
More likely to be read. You have a captive audience that has few entertainment options unless they spend the $20-$40 for a few hours of sub-par wifi. The audience that is purchasing a plane ticket also likely has more disposable income; many are probably traveling for business anyway.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
you are obviously not in marketing. rich people travel.

Are you more likely to buy a watch while travelling or on holiday? As for me, I've got other things on my mind. I'm more likely to be looking at watches when I'm sitting at home bored.

I just got off a flight where I happened to browse through the latest edition of Virgin Australia's in flight magazine and was astonished at the amount of watch related advertising. Here's a sample that I snapped with my phone:

View attachment 6533914 View attachment 6533922
View attachment 6533938
View attachment 6533962
View attachment 6533986
View attachment 6533994 View attachment 6534010
View attachment 6534026
View attachment 6534034

Lots of companies competing for advertising space and it made me wonder why it (seemingly) works so well for them compared to other forms of media.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I was thinking along the "captive audience" lines myself but that's interesting about average incomes. I wonder how that translates in the states. Unfortunately every time I fly domestically it appears to be nothing more than a flying bus. My father always taught me to "dress to fly" meaning relatively dressed up. Unfortunately those days appear to be long gone.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing those ads. I can't say that I've ever seen an Oris or Ball ad in any magazine. Much less one that had a Sinn in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Duty free which is way cool as save money and if you can fly you can buy a watch because time is part of your job if you fly a lot guys love watches .....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Honestly, watches are pretty widely advertised, even from Outdoor magazine or Time, etc. I don't think it's a big deal, I kind of like it when I see something neat like that new Oris diver in your photos, OP.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The "target audience" aspect of it is indeed interesting. I never thought of it that way before but I suppose it kinda makes sense

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Ehh...Why can't they advertise something good?? :-d
I assume I know where you are going.

Every time I see a Seiko ad in the US (they ramp up TV during Christmas) it is always their diamond encrusted women's watches and their more flamboyant chrono and Astron watches in the middle level.

In a different advertising medium I am always surprised about the number of watch billboards I see in medium and large cities in the US. Everything from entry level Swiss to Patek with a huge Rolex and Omega presence.

Reactions: Domo
1 - 20 of 41 Posts