WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! excuse my lack of knowledge but I've noticed a good amount of love for diver watches. Why is that case? Can we dial down a tad and explain here? But to be honest the style has grown on me a lot over time but I'd like to be educated on why everyone else seems to appreciate them so much. Thank you for your insight in advance!

P.S"The puns were intended"

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
The looks of them. The functionality of them.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
because they are rugged and actually don't look like crap if you wear them and bang them up a little... vs a dress watch which would be horrific with a bunch of scratches... Plus they are masculine and at least in our imaginations render images of travel and adventure...

and you can use the bezel to time your ramen noodles cooking... just saying..

but mostly this.. the looks... they are just pretty cool looking..

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because they are rugged and actually don't look like crap if you wear them and bang them up a little... vs a dress watch which would be horrific with a bunch of scratches... Plus they are masculine and at least in our imaginations render images of travel and adventure...

and you can use the bezel to time your ramen noodles cooking... just saying..

but mostly this.. the looks... they are just pretty cool looking..

View attachment 15730837
I was sold at ramen noodles :d

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hey everyone! excuse my lack of knowledge but I've noticed a good amount of love for diver watches. Why is that case? Can we dial down a tad and explain here? But to be honest the style has grown on me a lot over time but I'd like to be educated on why everyone else seems to appreciate them so much. Thank you for your insight in advance!

P.S"The puns were intended"
See Dive Watch Forum! Seriously, after hanging out there for a few days, I think it will be clearer for you

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
They look cool and rugged, without necessarily being overbearing. They can potentially be worn in various settings from the office to underwater. There is a timeless element to them. Some of the most iconic watches over the past 50 years have been divers, elements of which are still respected and homaged in many new watches currently.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
No one is actually using them for diving...unless you are referring to desk diving.

They look cool. Thats it.
Well, I didn't actual refer to diving at all. I said functionality.

Plenty of people do use them when diving, though. They may not NEED to anymore, but I see plenty of pics of people diving with them on.

I know I plan to use them for snorkeling soon and diving when I retire. Can also use the bezel to time things.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
No one is actually using them for diving...unless you are referring to desk diving.

They look cool. Thats it.
I did a deep sea dive under my keyboard drawer the other day. At least three feet in, dropped some paper clips overboard. I am not ashamed to say that it is dark and scary in the deepest fathoms of the desk, yet so majestic it can make a grown man weep. I am glad my watch could handle the change in pressure, and the lume helped guide me back to less turbulent shores. I closely timed my dive with the bezel, went pretty smoothly thanks to Big Halibut... a name granted to my watch by a mermaid. Arrrrr matey, shiver me timbers ;p

·
Registered
185 Posts
People use them for diving. They may not NEED to anymore, but I see plenty of pics of people diving with them on.

I know I plan to use them for snorkeling soon and diving when I retire. Plenty of people use them for diving. Or they use the bezel to time things.
When i said "no one" i was being facetious. Yes, I'm aware some people actually use them as intended, but the reality is that crowd is so small compared to those who wear it because they look awesome that it pretty much qualifies as "no one".

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
When i said "no one" i was being facetious. Yes, I'm aware some people actually use them as intended, but the reality ir that crowd is so small compared to those who wear it because they look awesome that it pretty much qualifies for "no one".
You're certainly correct in that the majority of people who buy them don't dive with them. Probably don't take a chance on even getting them wet. But you know what's cool? They COULD. If they chose to, they'd have a watch that COULD do the job. I'm not getting my Snowflake NEAR water, but I'd have NO issue taking one of my Divers in the water.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I wish I knew but, as I look at my watch box, I obviously prefer divers. I also prefer blonds, go figure.
Well, yeah, blondes...Dive watches are the blondes of watches.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
They look cool and come with a fidget spinner attached to them.
When I'm bored in a meeting, I find myself turning the bezel on my dive watches...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fashion + all the benefits mentioned

& More you see more you want as per Rolex mania, clothes, music cars, phones, everything!

& as night follows day, divers will one day be very unfashionable again, only worn by the watch fanatics like us, as I said fashion!

Right now I adore divers, my Marathon GSAR couldnt look more diver, and its currently on a leather strap, my mind is melting with how that has happened

Reactions: cottontop
1 - 20 of 110 Posts