WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so common for sellers to obscure serial numbers in their listings that I've never stopped to actually reflect on why, exactly, this is deemed so important, and I do so myself on the assumption that there must be a good reason, right?

On the one hand, I'm all for privacy, and not sharing more information than necessary.

On the other hand, I recently asked a seller for a complete picture of the warranty card and the engraved version on the watch to make sure they matched before proceeding further with negotiations. The response was:

"For well known reasons I cannot disclosure the serial of the watch."

Which to me says, yeah, the well known reason is they don't match. LOL

Because, while I don't have a problem with not advertising the serial numbers out in the open for all to see, when it comes to actual negotiations, if you think I'm going to send you 5K-10K without any evidence the watch is legit, you're mentally unsound or intellectually challenged, or both.

But, it got me thinking... are there "well known reasons" for not disclosing serial numbers?

I doubt it, and have the sense that this is just an old habit based on unreasonable fear and far-fetched over-reactions more than anything else.

But, that said, I also realize that (like everyone else) "I don't know what I don't know" and I might have a huge blind spot on the subject.

So, anyone have good, solid, logical reasons why sellers shouldn't disclose serial numbers in advertising, and then also even when negotiating with a buyer one-on-one?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you seen these fakes. They get better and better each year. They learn from our critiques on these forums. So yes, if you don't want to end up with a fake watch that you paid 10k for with a real serial number stolen from a legit watch, remove it from your pics when posting or selling.

·
Registered
20,719 Posts
I believe it is so people who sell fakes can't reproduce a legitimate serial number

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Or sometimes the watch in question is itself a fake.

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
None of the above. The reason that smart sellers don't reveal the serial numbers is because, in the hands of the wrong people, these numbers can be useful to them in various ways. One is for insurance schemes--a person can tell his insurance company that several valuable watches and, say, cameras and lenses were stolen. Insurance companies need descriptions of the items, and SERIAL numbers. If legit, they get paid by the insurance company--AND, that number gets registered as a STOLEN item. Others will simply use that same number to verify that they own the watch in question, even though they don't--they simply lifted it off the web. There are actually many other ways serial numbers can be used illegally, and sometimes they will actually affect you, especially if you haven't registered your watch to begin with.

My favourite story is when I came across a seller here, a few years ago, that was selling a watch that was on my wish list--same model that I had owned previously, sold, but now wanted again. I asked about the history, etc.--he said a gentleman from Switzerland traded it and another to him at his shop--had all the papers, boxes, etc. what made this the fun part was that he was using pictures from my own original listing of the same watch, which I had sold a year or two earlier. I was able to call his bluff, because I still had all the relevant information, including numbers. He had done similar things with others, banned, came back, banned, came back.

My advice--don't disclose the complete numbers (leave off the last few digits, so, when possible, buyers can still confirm production information), and state that the numbers match up correctly between papers and actual watch markings--to openly publish them without concern is opening yourself up to a possibility of all kinds of problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts