WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't the valgranges have made more sense, especially for the larger watches? :think:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Probably not actually. Consider:
The valgranges are themselves 7750 based.
They are more expensive to produce. (Both movement and larger casing)
They are less versatile, requiring larger cases.
They would have needed to create new lines instead of retrofitting things like jazzmasters and x-winds.
The larger movement requires more torque to power, This makes increasing the power reserve harder, not easier.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons of anyone wants to chime in.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your reply actually makes sense, especially about the redesigning of the case.
I just thought because some of the cases are large enough to fit a valgranges based movement, it would make more sense.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep, i think that all the jazzmaster auto chronos share the exact same case. I cant think of more than a handful of Valgranges based chronos (Victorinox Ambassador chronos ) .

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yep, i think that all the jazzmaster auto chronos share the exact same case. I cant think of more than a handful of Valgranges based chronos (Victorinox Ambassador chronos ) .
The Hamilton Railroad Petite Seconde Auto (non-chrono) and the Railroad Auto Chrono are both Valgranges based (ETA/Valgranges A07.511 and A07.211, respectively).

I don't think it is so much case size as dial size -- more specifically the longer hands. They seem to be the drive for the additional torque needed from the movement (and the more complications, of course, the more power required). Think: The distinguishing characteristic of the H21 and H31 is the longer power reserve, and this is accomplished through a bigger barrel. The Valgranges that is already a bigger movement and, therefore, should already have a proportionally bigger barrel. However, the power reserve on the A07.211 (the chrono) is 48 hours, only 6 hours over a 7750. Now I don't know enough about horology but who knows how much larger you'd have to make it to get up to 60 hours, and if there is really enough room to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts