WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there no women watch collectors….or so it seems?

Is it because women’s watches are not as varied or as interesting as men’s? Or is it because women aren’t into collecting things, anyway?

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Re: Why are there no women watch collectors….or so it seems?

Women aren't as interested in mechanical things like men are. Why are there not as many men who collect shoes or figurines as there are women?

We do have several women here btw - Jeannie, Sherry, and Heather frequent this forum (although Heather has been AWOL for a while).

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

I see watches as male jewellery.
Most ladies prefer other sorts of jewellery.

My wife has a nice watch collection, but a bigger jewellery collection.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

Because men can not accessorize like women can with out looking silly in general. Ear rings, chains, bracelets, many rings, etc. For men in a professional environment again generally speaking only wear wedding rings or a ring. I think you get what I mean, of course some men wear chains, etc but not like how women can. BUT men can accessorize with watches regardless of ones profession.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

of course some men wear chains,
Yep. But it depends on where. OK in Key West, not so OK in Mobile! (or Grand Cayman!)

I wear one ring (wedding) and a watch.
Less is More!

·
Banned
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Good points. I didn't think of the male jewelry angle.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I've started collecting men's vintage watches because I don't like contemporary women's watches and men's vintage run small enough to fit my wrist well. I don't wear jewelry so I guess like you guys watches are my way to accessorize!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

I don't wear jewelry
If I was not married I would ask you for a date.
;-)

·
Registered
8,719 Posts

I may be over thinking this a bit, but it seems to me (especially after reading some threads here about people collecting things other than watches) that the desire to collect in some way fulfils a need to create (ie create a collection) nd nurture. I have no evidence for this other than my own observations of others but I suspect most avid collectors (of anything) are men or women who either don't have children our whose children have grown.

·
Registered
640 Posts

I would say that at least half of us dont exactly consider our watches as jewelry. I certainly don't. A woman wears diamond earrings because of the way they make her look. It most likely isn't going to be due to an unnaturally fanatical obsession with the history behind how an earring is made. What a watch looks like never crosses my mind. I couldn't care less what I'm wearing (though I've never had to dress formally). If someone made a nice shock resistant pocket watch for a decent price and I didn't always have my pockets full of gadgets and guns I'd carry a pocket watch as readily as any wrist watch.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts

What a watch looks like never crosses my mind. I couldn't care less what I'm wearing (though I've never had to dress formally).
So your saying that you'd just as soon wear an ugly watch as a nice looking one, and never paid any mind to aesthetics at all? I have to say that I must be pretty shallow then because I won't wear any watch that I don't like the appearance of, no matter how fine the movement is. Of course, I won't wear a pretty watch with a junky movement either, but looks are what attract me to it first.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts

.....I suspect most avid collectors (of anything) are men or women who either don't have children our whose children have grown.
People with children still living in their house might not have the money or time to collect anything. Kids are expensive and demand a lot of attention, you know? Once that financial burden is removed from the daily equation, they have the free time and discretionary income to take up a hobby.

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts

I always color cordinate my watch to what I am wearing. A blue dial watch w/ blue pants and shirt w/ blue pin stripes. The same w/ green, black, white, red dial w/ red bowling shirt, etc. I have many different watch dial colors. What does that make me? (now be nice).
cottontop

·
Banned
7,645 Posts

I always color cordinate my watch to what I am wearing. A blue dial watch w/ blue pants and shirt w/ blue pin stripes. The same w/ green, black, white, red dial w/ red bowling shirt, etc. I have many different watch dial colors. What does that make me? (now be nice).
cottontop
You aren't the only one. My watch matches my belt & shoes almost exactly, even the metals and the grains if possible.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

I would say that at least half of us dont exactly consider our watches as jewelry. I certainly don't.
I submit that you're in the minority. Watches are not a practical necessity anymore. We buy them for aesthetic reasons. We buy them as accessories. We buy them as jewelry.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

I have several female friends that don't "collect" per se but they enjoy watches. I'm pretty much the same way.

cottontop
Gilt MANual contributor Euan Rellie was once told by his English father that
“American men think that their clothes should match. They couldn’t be more wrong. Your clothes should clash.”
I won't discuss the degree which I agree with this mentality (that deserves another thread) but I do find that in the US, matching is considered the epitome of sharp dressing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts