WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years now, my only watch has been an Omega Seamaster 2264.50 that I modded by adding a Longines VHP thermocomp circuit board. I love the timeless looks of the watch and the fantastic accuracy that it provides.

SMP PO mod.jpg

Recently, I decided it was getting time to add another HAQ a bit dressier, so I started looking for a Citizen Chronomaster. I've never been able to like the little power meter of the EcoDrive models, so I've really been looking for a model CTQ57-0955. Well, I just happened to be looking on Watchrecon this past weekend and what do you know, a nice used example is for sale on this very site. When I found it, the ad was 6 hours old. However, the watch was bought only 3 hours later. So I was out of luck.

I've noticed that good Citizen and Seiko HAQs hardly ever show up on the used market. Is it just because so few are bought, or because the people who buy them value them so much they never sell them. Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
The A060 movement doesn't have the PR indicator. There are fewer models...AQ-4000 series for The Citizen models, and it's being used in the newest version of the Chronomaster.
?????? AQ4000-51L ?CITIZEN-????????

As to why you don't see many used...I'd start with almost complete disregard by the manufacturers. Publicity??? HA! JDM only. And HAQ is not exactly front and center even then.

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
464 Posts
The good news is that it seems there is something of a quartz revival going on. So hopefully manufacturers get more interested in HAQ offerings as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sales are very small new, so bound to be very few on the used market.

People don't buy obscure JDM watches just to flip them, so I imagine once bought they stay in a collection.

Your thermocompensated SMP is almost the perfect watch. Even has the best dial and hands - I've got the GMT with the same.
If only Omega had bothered to make it!

I've seen a couple of aq1030-57e pop up on eBay in the UK, so I know I'm not the only person mad enough to buy one.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It doesn't help that some HAQs are not properly labelled on eBay. I saw a nice-looking Longines Lyre VHP (with the fabulous old dual oscillator movement) for sale, recently. No mention of 'VHP' or high accuracy or thermocompensation, or even the movement number, so it was completely missable.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
In a way It adds to the thrill of the hunt. Knowing the terminology that disguises an haq can lead to some finds. Some sellers don't know a 9923a movement, model name VHP or PSR 10 means something special.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Could it be that it is a quartz and selling it will hardly get you 50% of what you payed?
What percentage of mechanicals do you think would do significantly better, especially in the typical price range of HAQs...call it $500 to $2000?

Reactions: Ahriman4891

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's my theory: First of all, vintage ones such as the Seiko Grand Quartz lineup were obscenely expensive back in the 70s - the price itself deterred sales. Also, there's a stigma today that quartz = budget. Therefore people would much rather buy a high-end mechanical instead rather than spending the money on an "inferior" watch. So when you combine both realities, it's easy to see why there's less to "hand-down" to the second hand markets.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I've noticed that good Citizen and Seiko HAQs hardly ever show up on the used market. Is it just because so few are bought, or because the people who buy them value them so much they never sell them. Inquiring minds want to know...
1) Not many sold in the first place
2) Quartz watches take a significant hit on resale, so many don't bother
3) Folks often sell their watches when an expensive service is due, which doesn't happen (as often) for quartz

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
It doesn't help that some HAQs are not properly labelled on eBay. I saw a nice-looking Longines Lyre VHP (with the fabulous old dual oscillator movement) for sale, recently. No mention of 'VHP' or high accuracy or thermocompensation, or even the movement number, so it was completely missable.
Agree with this ^^^^

This HAQ sat for months on f29 sales forum as the seller slowly, incrementally reduced the price.

I noticed it daily on watchrecon and eventually the price became irresistible.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
As yankee brought this back up...I'm not disagreeing, but...

a) how may listers don't know what they have? "selling for a friend"....'"found going through other stuff"...that sort of thing.
b) it can't hurt, but really...how many eBay buyers would be even remotely moved by this? VHP...what? TC, even worse. High accuracy...well all quartzes are a lot more accurate.

We all know the general quality of eBay descriptioins, and often pics. Add to this that older models are MUCH harder, by and large, to ID......it's not all that surprising.

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Plenty of Breitling's on the resale market, so I guess in the US at least, it's predominantly a function of sales. OP, there are a few Galactic models that match up pretty well in looks and size to the Citizen pictured.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I have seen 4 or 5 used super clean CTQ57 come up for sale on this forum in the last 6 months .

Aside from this forum , you can find used one's every day, they are around .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts