WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often wondered this. I've traveled a fair amount and never found it helpful to have a GMT watch. Whenever I am on travel, I always know the time difference between local and home. So if I need my home time while I'm on travel, I just do the mental math - elementary school level math. And if you stay in one place for a little while, you get pretty quick at it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't see paying for an additional complication when its easy enough to do in my head. Yet it is a popular complication.

So that got me wondering, and I have two questions about buying a GMT.

1) Are many GMT watches purchased because buyers like the look of the GMT complication? (like those threads about chronographs)

2) Is the GMT function really helpful? If you travel to numerous timezones in a short period of time, I can understand how it could be helpful.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Where do you travel? If only a few time zones away, yes, the mental math is easy. When you start talking 10-12 hrs, it gets a little more confusing as to day/night and which day it is.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't see paying for an additional complication when its easy enough to do in my head. Yet it is a popular complication.
Why pay for a moon phase complication if you're not a werewolf or a druid?

Why get a 500m dive rating when you'll never be deeper than the swimming pool in your back yard?

Why get a magnetically-shielded watch when you don't work at a super-collider?

Why get a watch at all when the time is on every digital device including your phone?

The answer: because it's fun.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I just like the complication Gary. I have traveled more in the past and honestly a gmt was never necessary, but it is nice to have.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Actually, I set mine to the local time zone when I'm not traveling and when I have to set my watch it makes it easier to tell if I have to pass 12 to get the date correct...this has saved me literally seconds of my life, but it was a great thrill the first time I experienced it.

Ps I just like the look of the complication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I have a couple GMT's and I travel. Never had an issue with setting the local time when there. I don't set the correct date when I swap watches so I'm a bit lazy there....just the time as accurately as possible. So, why a GMT?

ebel3.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why pay for a moon phase complication if you're not a werewolf or a druid?
Hey man, I need it for cultural reasons :p

I don't own a GMT watch but I suppose it'd help as I have to talk to contacts in different time zones. Of course I'll probably be on a computer and it'd be easier to use the computer clock instead.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm not discounting anyone who has a GMT but my iPhone automatically switches to the correct timezone when I travel. Watches = man jewelry and if you like the GMT hand, rock it!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I have one GMT. My Montblanc. Truth be told, it came on the watch and wasn't a complication I was seeking. And I've yet to need it as I don't really travel. But, I kind of agree with you. When I have traveled, its typically one, maybe 2 time zones from home, so it's simple math to know my home time.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I like the execution of it on the JLC Master Hometime.
I like how worldtimer watches look.

I know I don't need one and if I do need home time, it'd usually be for phone call purposes and I tend to have my home mobile on home time anyway.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Well, it is nice to be able to flip the 12 hour hand to a new time zone without hacking the watch to move the minute hand an hour or two or more and then setting the time again. I just unscrew the crown, pull out to the first stop, and flip the 12 hour hand to the new time zone, while keeping the 24 hour hand on my home time. Sure, I can figure out the difference between New York and L.A., but this is very quick and I never have to check the new time against some other reference.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I used to use it for filling out reports and stuff that used GMT. I also use it sometimes for odd-ball astronomy purposes. I've never found it that useful for travel.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use my GMT to track clients in different time zones. I find it more useful than my phone.

Reactions: BusyTimmy

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Gary Gary Gary.... you really expect me to do math when I'm travelling? I love using the GMT complication... especially when hoping multiple timezones... I use it as a hometime tracker. Wherever I am I can quickly at a glance figure out what time it is where my family is. Thats useful to me both for knowing when it's appropriate to call, and also to just think about what they're doing wherever I am.

Sure I could do the math in my head, but I could also check the time on my Galaxy S3 too...

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It is very useful for me to have an independent hour setting as I do not need to worry about the minutes. It is also useful to know the time home (using the 24h hand) when I call.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Why buy a watch at all?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I do quite a bit of traveling (but mainly within Asia Pacific), so there is really no "need" for a GMT. But the function does come in handy whenever I travel to the U.S. or U.K. So, I was just contemplating this :
Zenith Pilot - 40mm.jpg

until i saw this !!!

Zenith Pilot GMT.jpg
It's a much larger watch, but I can't help but really fell for it.... if only I hadn't burst my watch budget.....i will have to wait till next year. So as many have said, it's a nice to have, not really essential in many cases.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts