WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Omega Constellation, Stowa Partitio, Sinn 556, Limes Endurance Neptun Vintage: Tissot, Bulova.
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love collecting watches, but like wearing them even better. Why do I see so many beautiful watches, especially in the Sales Corners, that are described as “bought this watch xx months ago, and never wore it. Been just sitting in the box, etc. etc.” Should I be skeptical of those claims, or what? Seems quite common...( I’m not just talking about Rolex speculators).

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
26,075 Posts
I love collecting watches, but like wearing them even better. Why do I see so many beautiful watches, especially in the Sales Corners, that are described as "bought this watch xx months ago, and never wore it. Been just sitting in the box, etc. etc." Should I be skeptical of those claims, or what? Seems quite common...( I'm not just talking about Rolex speculators).
My own speculation:

Buying online is the norm these days, especially for collectors, which means that they don't have the opportunity to try a watch on their own wrist until after they've bought it and taken delivery.

I'll tell you about how I used to want an Omega GMT chronograph diver. I got to try one on at an AD, and in less than ten seconds, I took it off and gave it back because I hated how bulky it was. If I had bought it online instead, it would end up getting posted for sale as one of those "never wore it" examples you describe.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I can see how it would happen. Many people like watches because of how they look, like a piece of art. They may get just as much enjoyment out of admiring them in their watch box as they do from actually wearing them around. Also, collectors may even get more joy from looking at all of their watches as a collective, sitting side by side in their watch box, as compared to wearing them one by one.

Personally, I sit at a desk all day at my job, and find it uncomfortable to wear a watch when typing. So I wear a watch from home to the office, take it off and put it on my desk while I'm working, put it back on when go to lunch, take it off when I get back from lunch, and put it on when I leave at the end of the day.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think this is the progression of things:
  1. Buy watch
  2. Receive watch
  3. Try watch on
  4. "This thing is great!"
  5. Tries it next morning
  6. "Oh"
  7. Grabs a different watch

I've bought watches that I've worn only a couple times because I didn't end up liking them when I got them in-person. Part of the reason I'm not going to buy a single watch blind (off the web, not having seen in-person) again. At this point I am 1/4 on buying watches online for the ones that I've liked and kept.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I totally get that.
For me, watches are both a fetish item as well as a practical use tool

I can see how it would happen. Many people like watches because of how they look, like a piece of art. They may get just as much enjoyment out of admiring them in their watch box as they do from actually wearing them around. Also, collectors may even get more joy from looking at all of their watches as a collective, sitting side by side in their watch box, as compared to wearing them one by one.

Personally, I sit at a desk all day at my job, and find it uncomfortable to wear a watch when typing. So I wear a watch from home to the office, take it off and put it on my desk while I'm working, put it back on when go to lunch, take it off when I get back from lunch, and put it on when I leave at the end of the day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In my defense, I bought my Omega, wore it occasionally. Lost 20lbs and now it's just not comfortable on my wrist. I sure do love to look at it though. Going to be a hard day when I find a new home for it.

·
584 Posts
It's a very good question. How many watches can you wear? I have more than I can wear and am not proud of it. My problem is that there is something that I really enjoy about each of them. The yellow second hand on my Damasko DA36, the comfortable bracelet on my Hanhart, everything about my Seiko 6039-7040, etc., etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've certainly been guilty of buying a watch without ever seeing it in the metal. It then gets a few outings on the wrist before languishing in the box.

Three years into the hobby, and 60ish watches come, and many gone, I am getting better at only buying what will stick.

Truth be told, losing a small sum on a flip is still money well spent when one considers the joy of the hunt, the anticipation of arrival, then the honeymoon (even if only a few days). I hope I never reach the point where the collection is full of keepers!

·
Premium Member
11,164 Posts
I don't think you should be skeptical of the claim if all else checks out. I'm not proud of it, in fact the opposite, but I do have some great watches, or at least I think they're great watches, I acquired many months ago that have yet to be unboxed. Even the ones I've worn, many are worn either so few times, like once or twice, and/or strictly while sitting on the couch at home (I've actually had a few automatic watches stopped on me because I don't hand-wind them past the initial get-going and I don't move much at home, and it's partly why I love the PR on my Snowflake 😅) that they are basically new. Again, far from proud and I often question my psychological well-being, but I have no doubt watches under similar ownerships do come up for sale. Though doing your homework is key, and I would capture a mental note of buyers who have a habitual tendency to overpromising the condition. Worse I've seen was someone who described a GS as once-worn, but upon inspection of the pictures there are scratches on literally every surface. Funnily, after I pointed it out and advised him to update the description, the seller swapped the pictures for ones really far away.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My 5 cents.

Recently somebody posted link to insanely beatufil watch with two moving hummingbirds and cracking egg.

It is beyond any timepiece - it is a state of art and should be on display as any true piece of art.

Such collectible item not ment to be worn.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
954 Posts
I love collecting watches, but like wearing them even better. Why do I see so many beautiful watches, especially in the Sales Corners, that are described as "bought this watch xx months ago, and never wore it. Been just sitting in the box, etc. etc." Should I be skeptical of those claims, or what? Seems quite common...( I'm not just talking about Rolex speculators).
For me, I would have to say it's the circumstances. I live and work in an urban city :yuck: (n):sick::poop:
Secondly, most of my pieces lie in the safe because I'm always at work.
I don't feel comfortable leaving them at home. So since they are in the safe
I barely get to wear them. I usually go there once a month, pull out a watch
and wear it for the whole month. That is my watch rotation.

Maybe one day when I get a nice residential property I'll be able to enjoy my collection.
Lastly, some guy in town got shot and killed over a fake Rolex this week.
They robbed him and then took it to a pawn shop to sell. That's how they got caught.
Murders, robberies, & assaults are up over 75% in some areas.

And as far as people not happy with the watches they buy, well we are only human.

Reactions: hare and JOHN J.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I just purchased a watch that I will not wear and the primary purpose of which is to sit in my watch box so I can admire it every day.

My excuse is that I have had this watch before, wore it often, loved it, and then gave it to my best friend.

I have worn this watch enough previously to satisfy my itch, so the new one will remain in the box until I decide to sell it, which may never happen.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I just purchased a watch that I will not wear and the primary purpose of which is to sit in my watch box so I can admire it every day.

My excuse is that I have had this watch before, wore it often, loved it, and then gave it to my best friend.

I have worn this watch enough previously to satisfy my itch, so the new one will remain in the box until I decide to sell it, which may never happen.
So a Rolex SS sports model?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
So a Rolex SS sports model?
No Rolex for this guy, though I sometimes think a Milgauss should come into my life. I would wear it.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.