WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Back in 1983 I got a G-shock watch. I thought it was so cool. It had a light and was indestructible. Being young and stupid, I used to throw it against the wall just to show that it was indestructible. Never had an issue. Then in college, the strap broke so I put a blue velcro strap on it and wore it until graduation. Then I got my first nice watch. It was a Movado that got stolen, then I had some money and bought a TAG-Heuer SEL in the 90s. Loved it and wore it forever. The G-Shock was a distant memory.

A year ago, I started wishing I had that G-shock again and was amazed at how collectible they were. I looked up the original G-Shock and saw my watch. Why did I get rid of it? I wanted to buy one, but they were too expensive. So I got a Rangeman for $100 on Amazon. Great price! I really like it but I think the original was better.

So yesterday, my wife tells me we are cleaning out the garage. I am going through boxes of old pictures of friends and girlfriends and stuff I should probably throw away. Found some great cassette tapes from the 80s. Then in the corner of the box I see a watch.....G-Shock DW-5000! With bezel and velcro strap. I can't believe my luck. I put it under water to clean it with a toothbrush and the bezel disintegrates in my hands.

The battery is dead, of course, so I go to a watch shop to get a new battery. Hoping that it still works. Bingo! Everything works.

I read up a little and am going to buy a brazilian bezel and strap. Upon closer inspection, I guess I did damage it throwing it against walls when I was a dumb kid. A screw and a few push buttons are bent but working.

Any advice on do's and don'ts from here? View attachment IMG_20160209_104245637_HDR.jpg View attachment IMG_20160209_104310347_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats on finding your old DW-5000! Like you, my first G-Shock is also one of those.

x1000 on the advice above. Don't attempt to remove those four corner bezel screws. This goes double for the DW-5000, as the screws are a flat headed variant and finding replacements is nearly impossible. Look up watches.br on Facebook for the Brazilian bezel and band kit if you haven't already. The old bezel crumbling like it did is just part and parcel given the age of the watch. When vintage bezels get to that age, they have tensile strength roughly equal to that of a dried out chocolate bar.

From the pics, it looks like the module is a tad crooked (looks like it's slightly rotated with the right side pointing slightly upward). That's also common with these watches given the floating module design. My 5000 is the same way and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't try to correct it personally due to the risk of damaging the crystal; it's one of the charms of that model. Yours looks like it's in really good shape.

Once you fit your new bezel and band, wear the heck out of it like you did before.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That is an incredibly nice DW-5000, I'm happy you will enjoy it again. That 240 module is my preference out of the vintage squares, I have the same type on my 5200. The Brazilian band and bezel are great, you might need to ask them to throw in a o-ring gasket, since the second time I order from them I didn't mention it and it wasn't included (first time I asked and it was thrown in at no extra cost). It might take a month to arrive, but it's well worth it! You are technically going to ask for the "DW-5600C silver band and bezel set", it's interchangeable/compatible with the 5000.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty envious of how nice of a watch you'll soon have on your wrist! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, yes it is crooked. I asked the guy who put the battery in to check it but he didn't seem to know what to do about it. I'm really excited to get it wearable again. Its like Christmas again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, good advice about the o-ring. I am really excited to have that watch. The stories it could tell!!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
In 33 years we will all be saying similar things about our 2016 blue denim DW5600...

OK, maybe not but yeah sometimes we regret things like, why didn't I marry my first love or why did I sell that heap of a Mustang.

You shouldn't let it get to you, life is full of difficult or regretful choices, it's all a learning experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my Brazilian bezels today. I was expecting it would take a long time. But, they arrived in 10 days from Brazil to California. Not bad. They are a really good outfit. Well packaged, and included a gasket (o-ring). I am really happy with how it turned out. I think because I have a few bent buttons and one bent screw it is slightly off in one area, but I don't care. I also have a scratch in the mineral glass, but I figure I did it some time in the 1980s so what the hell. I can't tell you how cool it was to be wearing that watch again today, brought back some great memories. Was walking around and I would look down and it's like an old friend. So cool! Of course my wife and kids don't get it, but I am sure you guys do. Feels great!!!! If this watch could talk...lots of good times back in the day.
View attachment 7142890 View attachment 7142946 View attachment 7142954 View attachment 7142978 View attachment 7142994 View attachment 7143010

1 - 14 of 14 Posts