WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into my local Tudor AD and looked hard at the Black Bay. Beautiful watch that I seriously considered buying for some time. I understand that it has a vintage inspired look and that may be the reason it has no date display. But that was the reason I did not buy the watch.

So my question is which watch were you close to buying but chose not to pull the trigger. Post a pic if possible.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
A couple, the Yachtmaster because of the date and the cyclops (double whammy for me) and the GP cause it just seemed a bit too large (I wish they made it in the smaller size instead of XXL, maybe next year) . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Size is usually the killer for me, but excluding that...the JLC Reverso Grande Taille:

GT.jpg

Sizewise it's the perfect Reverso for me, but I don't want a small seconds dial on my Reverso. Best of both worlds is a Classique in a Grande Taille case.

A couple, the Yachtmaster because of the date and the cyclops (double whammy for me)...
I do believe I'd put up with cyclopes at 3, 6 and 9 if it meant I could own that Yatchmaster. It's probably the only watch which exceeds my price & class-o-meter limits that I'd consider owning.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I do believe I'd put up with cyclopes at 3, 6 and 9 if it meant I could own that Yatchmaster. It's probably the only watch which exceeds my price & class-o-meter limits that I'd consider owning.
:-d . . .

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was in love with this watch, from looking at youtube videos, endless pictures, reviews etc. When I tried it on, two things jumped out at me:

It was too small for my wrist

Oh dear Lord the reflections!

1121496d1371254566-finally-happened-dsc02197-small-.jpg

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
It's usually when I'm kicking the tires and can't really afford it, waiting for the wife to finish coffee, and they offer 0% credit (I've done it before, twice), then she walks in and says she's ready to go.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Too big and too blingy.

The Cuervos y Sobrinos Torpedo Pulsometro Chronograph looked appealing in the magazines however, when I had one sitting in front of me it just seemed garishly over the top.

05F52DCB.jpg

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Walked into my local Tudor AD and looked hard at the Black Bay. Beautiful watch that I seriously considered buying for some time. I understand that it has a vintage inspired look and that may be the reason it has no date display. But that was the reason I did not buy the watch.

So my question is which watch were you close to buying but chose not to pull the trigger. Post a pic if possible.
That's the ONLY reason that held me back from also purchasing the BB. No date.

I've always said a black date at 6 o'clock would look bad ass

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I was in an AD ready to buy the Omega Speedmaster Racing. The pictures on the web and videos on youtube plus reading all about it convinced me (interestingly I wanted this iteration of the Speedmaster instead of the moonwatch because I prefer my watches to have a date function). But when I saw it in person my opinion changed. I thought it looked gimmicky and like a toy. So I didn't buy.

32630405001001-20.png

(Pict from Omega website)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Finally got to try on a no date LLD.

Beautiful watch that didn't thrill me on the wrist.

I guess the hands did not have enough presence; for me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Finally got to try on a no date LLD.

Beautiful watch that didn't thrill me on the wrist.

I guess the hands did not have enough presence; for me.

Exactly the same thing happened to me on LLD no date also. Managed to locate one from AD, drove almost two hours, slapped it on the wrist and walk out without it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Was at Bari Airport, Puglia (South of Italy) a couple of years ago, on my way back from a very relaxing mini-holiday with a couple of dear friends ... noticed there was a jewelry store tucked away in the back of the departure hall and started browsing the store window. They had Zenith on discount, and one particular piece caught my eye:

A Zenith El Primero Striking 10th, at a very sizeable discount of 35% !

Problem was:

i) I was in the company of aforementioned friends and would have felt awkward spending that kind of money in front of their faces, especially after a holiday;
ii) the holiday did in fact more or less deplete my budget, so it wouldn't have been the wisest time to purchase a luxury item.

Anyway, as my friends hit the bar for a quick beer, I headed back to the store, contemplating jumping the gun. Arrived at the store just in time to watch an Italian chap making the purchase, with a huge smirk on his face (very much justified) ...

Regret it to this day .... o|

Cheers,

Pieter

Reactions: ljb187

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

Drove to Atlanta(over 250 mi. one way) with cash in pocket...Tried it on, it just did not fit right.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
There have been a few.

Omega Seamaster 2254 - great price, but still too high for me, at the time. Regret it. Fit perfectly on my wrist. Looked great. Brand new from an AD.
'69 Omega Speedmaster - again, the price was a little high for me. On top of that I was a bit nervous at the prospect of owning a vintage watch. That's since left me, and the hunt for a good, vintage Speedmaster continues. In retrospect I'm glad. If I'm buying vintage Speedmasters, I want them to be 321s.
Ball Fireman - loved the look and the price. But the watch didn't fit terribly well on my wrist. The lugs may have been a shade too long, or it could have been something as simple as an uncomfortable strap. Didn't bond with it right away and passed.
Tudor Pelagos - was choosing between it, and the Black Bay - the Black Bay captured my eye more effectively in the store, so on the wrist it went.
Tag Heuer Aquaracer - I can't really place this one. It felt and looked good on the wrist. But I had just come back from trying on the Black Bay... and I was a bit infatuated with that watch.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The IWC Aquatimer 2000. Love the lume, design and sapphire bezel. Somewhat a minimalist and Scandinavian look as well. Ready to buy but just too big in person - 44mm and too thick to be practical with long sleeve shirt. But still really like the looks.

The Omega Speedmaster FOIS. Classic reproduction of the pre-moon speedmaster. Almost pulled the trigger but upon seeing in person, the legibility of hands is not good at certain lighting angles. Also did not like that it is a numbered edition vs a limited edition which makes it more like a marketing gimmick by Swatch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Cursed with 6" wrists I don't end up buying most watches as they look comically large on my skinny wrist.

With the Black Bay, I stopped by the Omega boutique on the way to the Tudor AD. I chose the AT over the Black Bay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts