WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Something ordinary
Typically, it is just a basic watch (balance spring) that they have dressed to look similar to the classic tourbillon design

Registered
It's the balance wheel (the thing that spins back and forth) and has a "mechanical look" that tells the world you have a mechanical watch, and invites them to start asking questions, lots of watches have it, not just fakes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typically, it is just a basic watch (balance spring) that they have dressed to look similar to the classic tourbillon design
Thank you! I see that a lot of replica watches have it visible Do you know why they do that? I don't think authentic watches display it like that.

Premium Member
Something ordinary
Thank you! I see that a lot of replica watches have it visible Do you know why they do that? I don't think authentic watches display it like that.
Some genuine watches do display it, but probably not nearly as many as you find in the fake watch world

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the balance wheel (the thing that spins back and forth) and has a "mechanical look" that tells the world you have a mechanical watch, and invites them to start asking questions, lots of watches have it, not just fakes.
Really? I did not know even authentic ones shared the similarity. I have scrolled through many fake watch websites and a lot of they brands have that balance spring in the 6 o clock spot or the 9 o clock. They all look identical. They even have a rolex with the balance wheel visible.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some genuine watches do display it, but probably not nearly as many as you find in the fake watch world
Thank you, I did not know that. One last question. Do even the real watches have the exact same look. I am going to upload some more pics as examples so you can see what I am trying to say. I would like to see a authentic watch with that style.

Registered
Lucien Picard tends to expose them all the time......

Registered
Sorry for not clarifying. I mean the high end brands, for example rolex , breitling, omega, cartier, hublot etc..
I think you will have to aim for the higher end of the high end to find the exposed tourbillon which these watches are parroting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you will have to aim for the higher end of the high end to find the exposed tourbillon which these watches are parroting.
Oh ok. So if I was going to find a authentic watch with this kind of appearance it would have to be up there where only the rich could afford haha. Basically those watches would be kinda exclusive and not as common as this fake ones.

Registered
the guy with the tourbillon and openheart just committed suicide.

Reactions: domoon

Registered
testing testing something pizza
That's a particular movement that also shows up in legitimate, if cheap, Chinese-made watches.

Premium Member
IBTL?

Premium Member
You can find open heart watches from legitimate brands like Zenith, Baume and Mercier, Frederique Constant and Seagull. If you are interested in actual tourbillons, there are a number of options from Chinese brands.

This is my Seagull 818.900 tourbillon, including a video of the tourbillon in action.

Mod. Russian, China Mech.
I was wondering, why do fake watches have that weird movement thing around the 6 o clock mark. What is that type of movement called? What do you call it?
If it's just the balance exposed, then it is an 'open-heart'. If the escapement is rotating, then it is a 'tourbillon'. Both may be found in genuine watches as well as fakes. It's not a 'fake thing' as such, but the way the inexpensive open-heart resembles the very expensive tourbillon make them a bit of a fakes magnet, especially as some open-heart movements include a cage rotating around the balance wheel. Open-heart movements are currently made by many manufacturers in several countries, but only Chinese makers use clean-sheet designs placing the balance on the dial side at 6 o'clock rather than merely hacking a hole in a stock movement. The open-heart concept goes back centuries in pocket watches. They were somewhat popular a bit over a century ago, probably due to the success of Hebdomas watches (Google it).

Please visit our Chinese forum if you would like to see many examples of legitimately branded affordable open-heart and tourbillon watches.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's just the balance exposed, then it is an 'open-heart'. If the escapement is rotating, then it is a 'tourbillon'. Both may be found in genuine watches as well as fakes. It's not a 'fake thing' as such, but the way the inexpensive open-heart resembles the very expensive tourbillon make them a bit of a fakes magnet, especially as some open-heart movements include a cage rotating around the balance wheel. Open-heart movements are currently made by many manufacturers in several countries, but only Chinese makers use clean-sheet designs placing the balance on the dial side at 6 o'clock rather than merely hacking a hole in a stock movement. The open-heart concept goes back centuries in pocket watches. They were somewhat popular a bit over a century ago, probably due to the success of Hebdomas watches (Google it).

Thank you. This was an amazing description. It all makes really good sense now.

Please visit our Chinese forum if you would like to see many examples of legitimately branded affordable open-heart and tourbillon watches.
Chinese Mechanical watches

Thank you. This was an amazing description. It all makes really good sense now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts