WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get an email re a watch I had listed for $2100, an ORIS CARLOS COSTE LTD ED, the newest version; I get an email today that says" "$2100" way too much, $800, we have a deal".....like I spoke to this guy and it is so????????? What is wrong with these low ballers, its ok to negotiate but WHY waste the typing of the keys man, am I the only one that gets annoyed with this crap? dogdoc:-| PS IT sold like two weeks ago, I posted that too.........

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
So I get an email re a watch I had listed for $2100, an ORIS CARLOS COSTE LTD ED, the newest version; I get an email today that says" "$2100" way too much, $800, we have a deal".....like I spoke to this guy and it is so????????? What is wrong with these low ballers, its ok to negotiate but WHY waste the typing of the keys man, am I the only one that gets annoyed with this crap? dogdoc:-| PS IT sold like two weeks ago, I posted that too.........
I see you've met the "something for nothing" crowd. My advice is to learn to live with them. And ignore them.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
People suck.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I see you've met the "something for nothing" crowd. My advice is to learn to live with them. And ignore them.
Funny. Do you think it is like the guy with a bad pick up line, but if he uses it 100 times eventially it will work out on someone?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have recently had two similar experiences. One of them was offering half the price of the starting bid :-d

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that was great!!!! Car keys and $400....wish I was that quick, Ia sked him to go back under the rock he came from, dogdoc

·
Registered
51 Posts
I posted a kid's dirt bike for sale for $500 ($1100 brand new.) A guy replied "I'll give you $175." I didn't bother replying, but wanted to reply with "I would rather burn it." In fact, I would rather invite him over and literally light it on fire in front of him than sell it to him for $175, the look on his face would be worth the lifetime of joy for a measly $175!!

I call them "junk dealers" and I have a friend like that. He recently bought a full kitchen's worth of damaged commercial appliances knowing that his house won't be ready for two full years (he bought a beaten to death foreclosure.) His reasoning? "Its all about the deal." Of course now he's complaining about spending the money too soon, storage issues, not needing commercial appliances, etc.

B

·
0 Posts
I had the same thing recently trying to sell a watch.

I just ignore them. Being anonymous on the internet allows some people to operate without morals. A question they would never dare ask face to face becomes easy.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,084 Posts

Well...an offer is an offer. Look at all the great deals that have been gotten in real estate by buyers giving low ball bids. Why should watch buying be any different than buying real estate, cars or any other used consumer product?

If you don't wan't offers or only offers above a certain amount then state so in your listing. Otherwise I think you should expect bids at any price. It's up to you to accept or reject.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
People suck.
The world is full of _____________ and ___________ (fill in your favorite descriptive derogatory words) and they all want _________ (fill in item name) so sooner or later you must deal with them if you sell _________ (same item). For every _________ (choose 1 of the above derogatory words) I've ever had contact me about a watch, I've had 5 times more decent people inquire about negotiating the price.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Never got one that bad. Ouch. I'd say that ignoring them is the right answer. There are good, reasonable people out here. Life is too short to waste time on the others.

On the "unbelievable but true" second hand sale stories, my wife and I in our earlier days had a garage sale before a move. We just wanted to clean out the house, so it basically equated to a recycling exercise.

My wife had about 10 pairs of shoes for sale, some of them new in the box, never worn (sound familiar wrt watches guys??). To just get them out of the house, she put them all out for $.50 -- yes fifty cents.

In the course of the garage sale, we had two individuals actually offer a quarter! My wife's response: "Sorry. For that, I can only sell you one shoe." ;-)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I posted a kid's dirt bike for sale for $500 ($1100 brand new.) A guy replied "I'll give you $175." I didn't bother replying, but wanted to reply with "I would rather burn it." In fact, I would rather invite him over and literally light it on fire in front of him than sell it to him for $175, the look on his face would be worth the lifetime of joy for a measly $175!!
Ha! That's funny, and it would also make a great comeback to those emails. "I'd rather invite you over and light it on fire in front of you than to sell it for your rediculously low-ball figure of $800."

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Well...an offer is an offer. Look at all the great deals that have been gotten in real estate by buyers giving low ball bids. Why should watch buying be any different than buying real estate, cars or any other used consumer product?

If you don't wan't offers or only offers above a certain amount then state so in your listing. Otherwise I think you should expect bids at any price. It's up to you to accept or reject.
Well said. :-!

An offer is an offer. What if the seller needs to sell quickly? That buyer will get a hell of a deal. And vice versa. If you dont like the offer - dont accept it!

Although I have heard of sellers being offended by lowball bids. I guess buyers should keep that in mind - if its too low, the seller can elect not to sell to you at all :rodekaart

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Should have emailed him back and said "it is your lucky day, I will take $800 and your wife. Have her at my house tonight wearing something nice. Enjoy your new watch"

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
People suck.
There is a young writer and I forget his name at the moment but one of his essays starts out with the line:

"I have this thing about people....I don't like them"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts