WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the pilot design but not the idea of buying a german pilot watch over lets say RAF british or american one doesnt thrill me. yes i know its politically incorrect. Did the german's invent the pilot style ?

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I like the pilot design but not the idea of buying a german pilot watch over lets say RAF british or american one doesnt thrill me. yes i know its politically incorrect. Did the german's invent the pilot style ?
Neither the British nor the American forces had a dedicated pilot's watch as far as I'm aware. See this article for reference:
https://www.60clicks.com/ww2-military-watch-guide/

While the British and American military watches of WW II left the concrete design to the producers, the German requirements were specific in every detail, including size and dial layout. For this reason the Baumuster A and B type watches are easy to identify, while it's hard to tell a British WW II pilot's watch from any other military watch built within a timeframe of 3 decades or so.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you're turned off by the history of the German pilot watch, check out the threads on the A-13A project in the Pilot Watch forum. Designed by an Italian and made in Italy, the face of the watch was inspired by the Waltham A-13A clock found in American planes.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
To me, the German models ARE the pilot watches for that era. I'm aware of lots of military watches but can't think of a pilot watch, other than the German ones.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the a -13 watch but its a bit pricy for a quartz in my opinion ..

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you're turned off by the history of the German pilot watch, check out the threads on the A-13A project in the Pilot Watch forum. Designed by an Italian and made in Italy, the face of the watch was inspired by the Waltham A-13A clock found in American planes.
If the OP is turned off by German pilot watches for political reasons, then an Italian watch would also be unacceptable as they were allies of Germany. Seiko is out too, for similar reasons, but Vostok is in, as they were allies of the Brits!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The German pilot watches are replicas of the watches worn by Luftwaffe pilots. The A-13A was designed by an Italian not alive during WWII, inspired by an American made aviation clock built around 1960. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Italian AF, if in fact the Italians even had an AF in WWII.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
German pilot watches are popular because in WWII they were the only ones to issue one, even if most fighter pilots used privately bought Hanharts and Tutimas/Glashutte chronographs.

After the war almost all the AFs started to issue watches , in particular RAF and NATO chronographs are as popular if not more popular than the B uhren, it's sufficient to say "Mark XI".

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Seems my post has been removed, can't see why as it's quite clear the RAF was better than the Luffwaffe, do the mods have a problem with historical accuracy?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Probably rarity. I'm sure at first the few surviving watches were just considered war trophies. Now I think they are just limited edition homages of war trophies. Kinda like a reproduction of an old German P-08 Luger.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Probably rarity. I'm sure at first the few surviving watches were just considered war trophies. Now I think they are just limited edition homages of war trophies. Kinda like a reproduction of an old German P-08 Luger.
There are much more German B uhren and chronographs than Allied issued watches.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Seems my post has been removed, can't see why as it's quite clear the RAF was better than the Luffwaffe, do the mods have a problem with historical accuracy?
Yes sure, so much better, especially the idiotic three columns' formation used at the beginning of the war with one leader and two wingmans against the four plane German "rotte" formation with two leader and two wingmen (still used today).

Regarding the fighter pilots, you can appreciate how much better British scored here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces

Top German ace: 352 kills
Top RAF ace: 40 kills
Top proper British ace: 38 kills

But of course the British were better pilots...suuure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes sure, so much better, especially the idiotic three columns' formation used at the beginning of the war with one leader and two wingmans against the four plane German "rotte" formation with two leader and two wingmen (still used today).

Regarding the fighter pilots, you can appreciate how much better British scored here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces

Top German ace: 352 kills
Top RAF ace: 40 kills
Top proper British ace: 38 kills

But of course the British were better pilots...suuure.
In fact, at the end of the war, there were over 100 german pilots with over 100 aerial victories each. Do the math...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
In fact, at the end of the war, there were over 100 german pilots with over 100 aerial victories each. Do the math...
100 x 100 = 10,000

That's a lot of watches involved.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts