WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Seiko SVBR003 (see below); how does one wear a pocket watch using the included lanyard? The only use I can see for it is to wear it like a necklace, I don't see how you can use it to attach it to your jeans or a vest. Is
there another use for the lanyard?

*EDIT: I suppose you could still loop it around your belt loop, but I feel like a cord/lanyard doesn't look as nice. Is this just what train conductors use? (As this model is geared towards them)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I use a shoelace lanyard, attached to a belt loop and into a pouch, some people use the watch pocket in their jeans instead of the pouch part. I don't have statistics but these must be very common methods from what I have read.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
It allows you to put the watch in your pocket and easily pull it out to check the time.

My grandfather worked for the railroad and he always kept pocket watches (Westclox Scotty models) on a leather fob with a metal part on the other side of the fob. This metal part hung out of his pocket so that he could easily pull the watch out to look at.

Chains are fine if you are working in an area that will not cause the chain to break.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,198 Posts
I would guess that back in the days when pocket watches were commonplace, there were probably more watches worn on leather or cord that on a chain, but chains preserve better so there are more examples surviving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts